• su

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • su

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

2-3zone

2nd String
I hope everyone on here lowers their expectations compared to the last 4 years

Ennis will have very little time adjust to the speed of the college game before we face teams like Gonzaga, Baylor, Cal and Arkansas

as usual, we will be fine, we lose players and gain players. assuming cj comes back, name me 2 forwards better than cj and grant?

my expectations have been lowered.

usually east coast teams hit a game on the west coast before heading out to Maui. Maybe we stop at LBSU or someone like that?

Ennis will have very little time adjust to the speed of the college game before we face teams like Gonzaga, Baylor, Cal and Arkansas

Gonzaga? Really?

C'mon. I hope you're kidding.

I like the thought that they will be tested early. It will give JB more time to figure out what he has and what needs to be addressed. Unlike the illusion of 18-1 this year.

We went to Hawaii in '96 Final Four year didn't we?
JB actually scheduled a game @ the McHale Center against Arizona on the way out, a win by the way... Can't believe JB would ever schedule like that again in his old age...

Those teams will have to adjust to Ennis, not the other way around.

JB actually scheduled a game @ the McHale Center against Arizona on the way out, a win by the way... Can't believe JB would ever schedule like that again in his old age...

Arizona came to the Dome in December 1994, so it was just a return game that they fit into the 96 season with the Maui trip. That was back when football was contributing more to the bottom line.

id have to think Arkansas will be in the other bracket since we played in regular season this past year

If Olynyk leaves, the Maui field will be the 2nd worst in a decade, after the last time Gonzaga was in it and beat Cincy.

We can be down by our standards and none of those programs should scare us.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Perfect scenario would be for JB to get on the phone with Jason and Tony and schedule a game against the Trojans on the way out to Maui...
Galen Center is a nice building to watch a game, plus I live 40miles from USC, so could catch them live early in the season...:)

I like the thought that they will be tested early. It will give JB more time to figure out what he has and what needs to be addressed. Unlike the illusion of 18-1 this year.

I don't think games against top teams right out of the box tell you a lot. You have to get guys on the court, multiple lineups, different rotations. Playing 6 guys in a week 1 game against Gonzaga is a dogfight, not a chance to see what you have.

I would love if SU visited UCLA, because we'd kick the out of them in their current state.

Won't happen though.

Our expectations as fans have very little affect on anything other than our own sanity and I doubt the posters on this board who are on that end of sanity just have their SU basketball expectations to blame. I expect SU to compete at the highest level at the beginning of every season. As the season progresses I adjust my expectations as necessary, but I certainly don't lower them until I have seen some evidence that I need to lower them.

The majority (if not all) of our players and coaches put more pressure on themselves than any number of numbskull Internet message board posting fans could put on them. You should always have high expectations in athletics. Why play a sport if you don't expect and believe you will be successful?

He scheduled that game as a favor.

id have to think Arkansas will be in the other bracket since we played in regular season this past year

That has nothing to do with anything.

What illusion? 18-1 indicated that we were pretty damn good. Even at 18-1 we knew that we'd go about as far as our guard play would take us. Seems to me that's exactly what happened:

1) A Final Four...Yes, we were pretty damn good this year.
2) Guard Play...It was MCW and Brandon's play that got us past IU and Marquette. And it was their drop off against UM that resulted in the loss.

Sorry for pontificating, but I really think the early season schedule and results showed us exactly who we were and what we needed to continue to be successful. It was pretty obvious if you were looking close enough.

I don't have expectations. There are too many new faces, and the familiar faces are taking on new roles. Ennis doesn't have to be a stud for us to be good. He only needs to be solid and get the ball to the other guys. What does need to happen is the development of the returners. CJ needs to be able to take a more aggressive approach on offense while still not forcing things. DC needs to get comfortable and learn how to use his size while not rushing (he should watch AO video). JG needs to expand his game away from the basket a little and improve his foul shooting. TC needs to calm down and just shoot the ball. I think next years team could take some lumps early but improve a lot come february/march.

Perfect scenario would be for JB to get on the phone with Jason and Tony and schedule a game against the Trojans on the way out to Maui...
Galen Center is a nice building to watch a game, plus I live 40miles from USC, so could catch them live early in the season...:)
and then JB should *cough* call in sick...and let Hop beat the snot out of southern cal.

Oh Lord

After all these years as a fan I still don't know why year after year fans complain about our normally weak pre-conference schedule. Obviously things are not going to change and why should they? Being tested and beaten early can be counterproductive, especially with an inexperienced group. I would much rather build confidence (even if it is against crappy teams) than get pounded on early in the season. If you look at the majority of recent Final Four teams they play almost all cupcakes before their conference schedule begins. Unless you are a mid-major with Final Four aspirations you will be plenty tested during the conference schedule.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom