Only 1 or 2 games before the trip to Maui | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Only 1 or 2 games before the trip to Maui

su

• su

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • su

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
What illusion? 18-1 indicated that we were pretty damn good. Even at 18-1 we knew that we'd go about as far as our guard play would take us. Seems to me that's exactly what happened:

1) A Final Four...Yes, we were pretty damn good this year.
2) Guard Play...It was MCW and Brandon's play that got us past IU and Marquette. And it was their drop off against UM that resulted in the loss.

Sorry for pontificating, but I really think the early season schedule and results showed us exactly who we were and what we needed to continue to be successful. It was pretty obvious if you were looking close enough.

By that line of logic, it would be difficult to explain how that 18-1 team managed to lose 7 of the last 12 to end the regular season. Maybe I wasn't "looking close enough," but what I thought I saw is that the end of the schedule - you know, the part were we played the best teams in the league - exposed our true offensive deficiencies, more than the early part of the schedule showed us how important the guard play was.

The job that JB did compensating for those deficienies, once they were exposed, is some of the best coaching he has done in his career, IMO. And to me, that is the reason why we made the run through the BET and NCAA. It had very little to do with what transpired while the team was going 18-1 against Wagner, Princeton, Colgate, Monmouth, Alcorn St, Central Conn, E. Mich and so on.

I like the thought that they will be tested early. It will give JB more time to figure out what he has and what needs to be addressed. Unlike the illusion of 18-1 this year.
I think JB knew what needed to be done in the midst of starting 18-1. Our deficiencies were not an illusion to him, only to fans that only looked at the record. He said during a mid season interview that at that point we were weren't as good as our record.

Reactions: 007
We lost 3 starters last year and made the Final Four.

My expectations are for us to reload.
Actually, we lost three starters and our sixth man who was a lottery pick...and made the final four.

After all these years as a fan I still don't know why year after year fans complain about our normally weak pre-conference schedule. Obviously things are not going to change and why should they? Being tested and beaten early can be counterproductive, especially with an inexperienced group. I would much rather build confidence (even if it is against crappy teams) than get pounded on early in the season. If you look at the majority of recent Final Four teams they play almost all cupcakes before their conference schedule begins. Unless you are a mid-major with Final Four aspirations you will be plenty tested during the conference schedule.

It is not obvious that things won't change. Because things always change. For instance, we are now going to the ACC. This may change JB's thoughts on what is needed SOS wise in the OOC in order to best serve JBs overall targets.

And who exactly is going to pound us early in the season? We are a fixture in the top 10. This upcoming year for instance the top two preseason squads listed are KY and UL. I don't think we would get pounded by either of those two. I think it would be difficult to find any team that would be more than a 2 pt favorite over us. And then when you add in the fact that SU has traditionally had strong starts your outrageous getting pounded wuss-like excuse is even more absurd. Who is the last big name team that we regret playing early? Seriously, I can't remember one, we've beaten them all for years now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom