Orange Madness | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Orange Madness

I heard the pay side will get a stream via a camera attached to JB's head
You know that's an actual thing that you can buy?
81vPTZBmATL._AC_UL130_.jpg

You know that's an actual thing that you can buy?
81vPTZBmATL._AC_UL130_.jpg
I'll call and bring this up on the radio tomorrow. Stirring the pot is good for things like this.

I'll pretend that I don't understand the argument of us fans and agree with the University.

Then at the end depending on their response I'll make my point and show my true cards

I'm no fan of Pete Moore, not even a little bit. But that response was pretty thoughtful and without knowing more about the logistics I can't criticize the decision. If this reflects a newfound commitment to not doing streaming events if they're not prepared to do a great job (see: every cuse.com streaming event I watched from 2009 to 2015), all the better.

My guess is that they're moving around the building with some "interactive" stuff and can't manage having a dozen cameras, an experienced director, and a production crew turn that into watchable content.
If only there were some knowledgeable students on campus who might do this for free as part of a learning experience.

I'd take an intern holding up an ipad and periscoping it at this point. This is so weak

I'm just going to use my imagination and pretend I'm in the dome tomorrow night.

Last edited:
I'm no fan of Pete Moore, not even a little bit. But that response was pretty thoughtful and without knowing more about the logistics I can't criticize the decision. If this reflects a newfound commitment to not doing streaming events if they're not prepared to do a great job (see: every cuse.com streaming event I watched from 2009 to 2015), all the better.

My guess is that they're moving around the building with some "interactive" stuff and can't manage having a dozen cameras, an experienced director, and a production crew turn that into watchable content.
You gave a better defense than Pete, OM. But there’s not much anyone can do to explain this. For the last couple of years, SU’s been saying everything’s going to streaming. It’s embedded in the conference’s contract with ESPN and SU’s own production facilities are part of that mix. But suddenly, it’s too much trouble to stream MM? We can’t afford some cameras and a director with the Newhouse School of Communications a few hundred feet away? For a program bringing in almost $20 Million dollars a year? Something’s wrong here.

Last edited:
You gave a better defense than Pete, OM. But there’s not much anyone can do to explain this. For the last couple of years, SU’s been saying everything’s going to streaming. It’s part of the conference’s contract with ESPN and SU’s own production facilities are part of that mix. But suddenly, it’s too much trouble to stream MM? We can’t afford some cameras and a director with the Newhouse School of Communications a few hundred feet away? For a program bringing in almost $20 Million dollars a year? Something’s wrong here.
Or...it’s not the whole story...

Here is the response I received from Pete, who also cc'd John Wildhack and Sue Edson as well. Hard to believe sometimes that Syracuse runs such a top communications school.

Thank you for reaching out to us. We appreciate your interest in Syracuse men’s basketball.

Our production team did consider streaming this event. However, it was determined that the number of fan-interactive elements scheduled for the evenings would make it a difficult event to produce a quality stream.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

The fact that Pete cc'd his superiors on this email strikes me as a "I have received hundreds of these emails and this is why we should have staffed for a stream" move to let them know they made a bad call.

What absolute BS, this has been on ESPN/Affiliates for years and suddenly it's just too much? Wow...

spectrum sports has started showing local games again out here in albany. high school and college

I believe in the Albany area they are showing a bunch of HS sectional football games. Is it the same in Syracuse?
The Spectrum local sports channel just has a cancelled graphic on it.

I saw a couple of HS games played in Buffalo in September on Spectrum.

My understanding is that Spectrum is still covering games locally but they are distributing them via the Internet instead of using the normal sports channel. It looks like that is still happening. And it looks like they are going to cover a game live on the sports channel too this week.

Week Eight: CNY Football on the Air

The Spectrum local sports channel just has a cancelled graphic on it.

I saw a couple of HS games played in Buffalo in September on Spectrum.

My understanding is that Spectrum is still covering games locally but they are distributing them via the Internet instead of using the normal sports channel. It looks like that is still happening. And it looks like they are going to cover a game live on the sports channel too this week.

Week Eight: CNY Football on the Air

Ch 10 is the Spectrum News Channel.

The Spectrum Sportschannel is gone.

Forget ESPN, why not time warner/spectrum? Are they out of the sports business now?
That's another whole (sad) story. Spectrum pretty much hoodwinked everyone when they took over ... claiming it was going to support local "college" sports. Then it abruptly cancelled all the SU shows. In Rochester, they're playing HS games for the time being ... 15 year olds running around .. but I think the sports channel's going to be shut down. Unless your kid's playing, the HS stuff is unwatchable.

I think they screwed SU (and everyone else) because they just didn't feel like spending the money to produce sports shows. It's not right, it's not supporting the local "community" and we're stuck with them (monopoly). It's amazing all the people who grew up in upstate NY following SU and the Big East on cable. Now ... poof. It's gone. We might still get most of the games, but there won't be any third tier programming until the ACC channel starts (in 2 years). And even then, SU's going to have to do all the production.

Lots of excuses for why this isn't streaming.

How hard is it to set up a couple cameras and stream the event? You don't need announcers or anything fancy, just a stream that follows the action.

And this is 2017, why are we going backwards in terms of bringing content to the fans?

I wonder if this has anything to do with how low expectations are this year?

Excited to see Hughes play after all the positive stuff coming out of practices. Will it be a Wes Johnson-type situation or an Ethan Cole-type one?

They are pretty much out on that now.
Which is horrible for most of us fans. We have to get the games on some kind of ESPN computer access channel. I am forgetting the details, but I bought a chrome cast thingie to attach to my tv so I can watch these games. I will have to remember how to do it.

How much I miss Time Warner in that regard!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom