Orangeyes ...Sad news | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes ...Sad news

It is with great sorrow to inform everyone that Orangeyes (Dan Johnson) passed away last night after a valiant months long fight. There was not a bigger SU fan than Dan. Not just football and mens basketball, but also Lax, womens basketball, womens softball etc.

He will truly be missed by a lot of people, not just this fan community but by the many other friends he had made and of course his family and relatives. Please keep his family in your thoughts and prayers and keep Dan in your hearts.

We will post details of the arrangements when we know them.

God bless you Dan, we'll miss you.

Oh crap--that sucks. He was such a great guy.

RIP, Orangeyes.

I wish likes could be changed to orangeyes or something like that. That man was the nicest guy I ever met as a student at SU and was UNDER-appreciated for all the time he spent doing the article threads. Its just mind numbing he is gone forever and very depressing.

I went to syracuse.com and saw Mike Waters article before I came here this morning and my heart just dropped. Never met Dan but I've been on these boards for many years and he makes me look like a casual fan in comparison. Rest in peace. As many great posters that we have here, this board will never be the same.

And I thought I was having a bad morning until I read this - really puts into perspective a lot of things that gets lost during daily life.

My condolences to all who knew him. I only had the privilege of 'meeting' him on this board and he was such a great Syracuse fan and contributing member of this board. I feel so saddened by this - I never expected this - so I can't imaging how those of you who knew him personally feel. My sincerest condolences to you all. I'm gonna miss his presence here. I'm up for contributing for setting up some memorial on his behalf - please let me know.

-3666f99cf8bcd26c.JPG

This picture is a large reason why I love this program.

Condolences to Dan's family along with thoughts and prayers during this difficult time. He was welcoming to so many people- even those like me, who never personally met him.

I think all of the suggestions for honoring Dan are great, but it would be great if the people on this board could work with SU Athletics to create a fan award in his honor. An award that could be given each year to a dedicated and loyal fan of all of Syracuse Athletics- not based on donations, but on long-time support. Perhaps even some of the people close to Dan could be part of the selection committee. I think it would be great to honor Dan, along with the other ideas suggested.

This is so sad, especially after it seemed as if he was on his way to recovery. I spent time with him at several tailgates, and as said above, his offline persona matched his online persona. Heaven will certainly now be receiving as much Syracuse sports news as it can read.

Condolences to Dan's family. May your memories of your happy times together sooth you in this time of sadness.

RIP, Dan. Godspeed

I am truly at at a loss for words to express my sadness. I was so looking forward to seeing Dan at an SU sporting event this year. As many know, you won't find a nicer person or bigger SU fan than Orangeyes. We really need to find a way to honor and remember him.

I'll miss you, Dan.

It is with great sorrow to inform everyone that Orangeyes (Dan Johnson) passed away last night after a valiant months long fight. There was not a bigger SU fan than Dan. Not just football and mens basketball, but also Lax, womens basketball, womens softball etc.

He will truly be missed by a lot of people, not just this fan community but by the many other friends he had made and of course his family and relatives. Please keep his family in your thoughts and prayers and keep Dan in your hearts.

We will post details of the arrangements when we know them.

God bless you Dan, we'll miss you.

Man, I'm in Syracuse now and have been out of the loop. Saw this news on twitter and felt obligated to log in on safari on my phone to share my condolences.

For someone I've never met in person, I think that speaks volumes to the impact he has had on our lives.

RIP Orangeyes

Wow. So sad. I had just sent him another pm last night hoping he was getting to read them or have them read to him. While I only met him once, we had developed a nice online friendship and were going to have dinner in October. There will be an empty chair at that dinner in his memory. He went though so much, and I am just so sorry he was not able to pull through. Condolences to his family. I just lost my mom, which I did not tell Dan, but she had a feeding tube and a lot of similar issues in the end. I did not want to tell him she passed as I did not want to let him know that outcomes don't always go as you hope. My mom passed about 4 days before Dan's surgery. So to his family, I know the pain you are going through right now.

terrible news. my best for his family.

he certainly created something unique here with the links.

he will be missed.

RIP

Agreed. Jake mentioned this on the first page, but what a PRIVILEGE it has been for all of these years to come to one site, where all of those articles were already aggregated. It is very time consuming to not only search for all that stuff, but make the post to link all of that stuff. And Dan did it just about every day for years. Voluntarily.

Agreed. Jake mentioned this on the first page, but what a PRIVILEGE it has been for all of these years to come to one site, where all of those articles were already aggregated. It is very time consuming to not only search for all that stuff, but make the post to link all of that stuff. And Dan did it just about every day for years. Voluntarily.
that is the shocking part.

from doing the above and beyond to the great beyond.

God Bless.

Last edited: