Oregon | Syracusefan.com

Oregon

retro44

Living Legend
I just heard they may fire their cooffensive coordinator for a DWI.
Kind of harsh if for first offense when so many schools barely admits when players are nailed

i mean i know about the whole "cast stones" thing, but cmon, you dont see a problem with the head of your offense sitting in your living room preaching to your kid and you about values and character etc coming off a recent DWI arrest as a bit hypocritical?

Not saying he should be condemned for life, but he may have to take a little break and go away for a while.

i mean i know about the whole "cast stones" thing, but cmon, you dont see a problem with the head of your offense sitting in your living room preaching to your kid and you about values and character etc coming off a recent DWI arrest as a bit hypocritical?

Not saying he should be condemned for life, but he may have to take a little break and go away for a while.
I don't know the details of the arrest, and I'm not advocating drunk driving, but equating drinking w/ bad values and/or having a bad character is ridiculous.

Having one too many one time and getting caught by an over zealous cop doesn't make you a bad person. It makes you unlucky.

Like I said, I don't know the details of his situation, and if he was absolutely wasted and endangering others' lives, then sure, judge away. But making a blanket statements is puritan.

I don't know the details of the arrest, and I'm not advocating drunk driving, but equating drinking w/ bad values and/or having a bad character is ridiculous.

Having one too many one time and getting caught by an over zealous cop doesn't make you a bad person. It makes you unlucky.

Like I said, I don't know the details of his situation, and if he was absolutely wasted and endangering others' lives, then sure, judge away. But making a blanket statements is puritan.
I'm pretty sure if they're terminating his contract he probably was wasted and endangering others' lives.

Even if he wasn't, the guy is making hundreds of thousands of dollars a year. Take a f*cking cab. It's irresponsible and dangerous.

Over-zealous?

Don't cops exist specifically to do things like enforce the law?

Also, the guy's not "unlucky." Luck has nothing to do with it when someone with agency makes a conscious decision to do the wrong thing.

Man, people are weird on here.

True, but, how does petrino sit in any living room and preach...even the garage?;)

But is having 2-3 beers really using bad judgement? i dont know a single person who drinks who hasnt driven home and by the letter of the law probably been in trouble if they got pulled over..

This thread is teetering on being moved to the OT board.

Just sayin'...

But is having 2-3 beers really using bad judgement? i dont know a single person who drinks who hasnt driven home and by the letter of the law probably been in trouble if they got pulled over..
Exactly.

Over-zealous?

Don't cops exist specifically to do things like enforce the law?

Also, the guy's not "unlucky." Luck has nothing to do with it when someone with agency makes a conscious decision to do the wrong thing.

Man, people are weird on here.
Cops are humans. Some are absolutely fantastic - many are. But some aren't that great. To think that there aren't cops who look for BS to up their performance is crazy. I've never gotten a DUI or anything like that, but I have been pulled over and asked to blow a breathalyzer before. The cop said that he "smelled alcohol." The truth is that I hadn't had a beer in a month and blew a 0.00.

I've also had my car searched for drugs before. I've never consumed an illegal substance in my life. In fact, I don't even smoke cancer sticks, and I never have. I did, however, have "suspicious leaves on the back of my shirt." They were oak leaves, and I just takes the yard.

If you think that they weren't fishing, then I have a bridge to sell you.

And the fact of the matter is that the way alcohol hits your system varies over time. Unless you've had 0 beers, you can't say I've had "X beers, therefore my BAC is Y%." Furthermore, it's very possible to be right at the legal limit and not know it.

Like I said, there's a difference between .080000...001 and a huge number like .3.

One is bad luck. The other is bad judgement.

I'm pretty sure if they're terminating his contract he probably was wasted and endangering others' lives.

Even if he wasn't, the guy is making hundreds of thousands of dollars a year. Take a f*cking cab. It's irresponsible and dangerous.
I don't know his cab situation, but a .08000001 is hardly irresponsible and dangerous, but it is illegal and technically drunk driving.

Still, if he was wasted, which he very well may have been, then I agree that it was irresponsible, dangerous, and morally wrong.

I don't know his cab situation, but a .08000001 is hardly irresponsible and dangerous, but it is illegal and technically drunk driving.

Still, if he was wasted, which he very well may have been, then I agree that it was irresponsible, dangerous, and morally wrong.
I'd say blowing a .08 is still irresponsible and dangerous. Especially when the human body processes alcohol differently for different people. If you're having more than a glass of wine or a beer with dinner, don't drive, get a cab.

Cops are humans. Some are absolutely fantastic - many are. But some aren't that great. To think that there aren't cops who look for BS to up their performance is crazy. I've never gotten a DUI or anything like that, but I have been pulled over and asked to blow a breathalyzer before. The cop said that he "smelled alcohol." The truth is that I hadn't had a beer in a month and blew a 0.00.

I've also had my car searched for drugs before. I've never consumed an illegal substance in my life. In fact, I don't even smoke cancer sticks, and I never have. I did, however, have "suspicious leaves on the back of my shirt." They were oak leaves, and I just takes the yard.

If you think that they weren't fishing, then I have a bridge to sell you.

And the fact of the matter is that the way alcohol hits your system varies over time. Unless you've had 0 beers, you can't say I've had "X beers, therefore my BAC is Y%." Furthermore, it's very possible to be right at the legal limit and not know it.

Like I said, there's a difference between .080000...001 and a huge number like .3.

Couldn't agree more about the cops.

But we know the law. If I take a drink and get behind the wheel, luck's out of the picture. I'd have only my judgment to blame.

Does your mug shot and google entry show what you blew for blood alchohol level when you get busted for DUI? Do people care? Everyone i personally know who has been pinched for DUI SWEARS they only had a glass or two of wine or two beers.

No matter where you stand on the subject, here is the ultimate question. Would you want a representative of yours who is pitching honor, code, integrity, character etc coming off a pretty publicized recent DUI arrest? If you answer yeah, you're ok with it, you're lying.

I don't really have an opinion on whether an employee should be fired for getting a DUI. I guess, it depends on the job and employees past conduct.

With that being said getting caught for a DUI regardless of your BAC is not being "unlucky," it's bad judgement. The second you decide to drive whether you've had sixteen beers or two you are exhibiting bad judgement. Bad luck is walking down the street and having a bird crap on your head, it's not drinking and deciding to drive home.

I am not going to claim I have never have never exhibited this type of bad judgement in my life, but I do recognize that it was using bad judgement even though I didn't harm myself or others or get caught by a police officer.

So, in your opinion 0.3 is the starting point for "bad judgement"? 0.3 is hammered. There is a lot of bad judgment happening before 0.3.

So, in your opinion 0.3 is the starting point for "bad judgement"? 0.3 is hammered. There is a lot of bad judgment happening before 0.3.
Nope. It's only your forced interpretation of what I wrote in what appears to be a desperate attempt at making a straw man argument.

Couldn't agree more about the cops.

But we know the law. If I take a drink and get behind the wheel, luck's out of the picture. I'd have only my judgment to blame.
I'd agree if it was always readily apparent whether or not you're over the legal limit. Unfortunately, it isn't

Unless you're willing to say that never drinking any amount of alcohol and then driving within 24 hours is realistic, then I think it's hard to say that there isn't luck involved. And, if you are willing to say the above, then I categorically think that you're probably puritan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom