Oronde Gadsden retuning | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Oronde Gadsden retuning

3xzbnr.jpg

With all due respect to OG; his return won’t amount to a hill of beans if we don’t improve the OL. I’m still cringing thinking about what I saw in the bowl game.

Against who? Colgate and directional Mich? They completely disappeared @Purdue and Shrader had to put the team in his back in the run game.

None of them are safe.
As it sits now closing the season, we had 9 WR's on the roster.

Jones - in the portal
Adams - exhausted eligibility

That leaves:
Cohoon (4 years)
Brown (3 years)
Gill (3 years)
Pena (2 years) - suspect he'll get a medical year for 2023
Long (2 years)
Hatcher (2 years)
Alford (1 year)

We have Meeks, Haynes, Hornsby, Thomas, and Ross coming in so that would put us at 12 - have to think there's definitely more movement coming. Can't imagine we'd have 12 WR's on the roster.

Against who? Colgate and directional Mich? They completely disappeared @Purdue and Shrader had to put the team in his back in the run game.

None of them are safe.
Alford had 4 catches for 70 yards against Purdue. If that's disappearing, I'll take it. If he puts his name in the portal, I would be shocked if there isn't significant interest. I think he would thrive here next year with McCord and OG and I am baffled why anyone wouldn't be thrilled to have him back. Imagine OG, Alford, and Haynes at WR with Villari and Kimble at TE. We need a transfer OT (Betrand), DT (Raikes) and a couple of CB's (Harris, Barnes) and we will look very good on paper. The rest will be coaching and health.

Last edited:
Alford had 4 catches for 70 yards against Purdue. If that's disappearing, I'll take it. If he puts his name in the portal, I would be shocked if there isn't significant interest. I think he would thrive here next year with McCord and OG and I have no clue why anyone wouldn't be thrilled to have him back. Imagine OG, Alford, and Haynes at WR with Villari and Kimble and TE. We need a transfer OT (Betrand), DT (Raikes) and a couple of CB's (Harris, Barnes) and we will look very good on paper. The rest will be coaching and health.
Betrand is an IOL I believe. We need him, a tackle, and preferably a C if we can find an upgrade there too. Portal Tackle would compete with Cruz and Wohlobaugh and may the best 2 win.

Also would be very surprised if Haynes, Meeks and Ross at a minimum aren't in the WR rotation.

Last edited:
Purdue's defense finished 96th in the country for passing yards allowed...not exactly locking down WRs every week

Alford is just a timid player. Doesn't attack the ball, but lets it come to him. He can do a job but I'd be okay with him moving on too.

I’ve been saying for two years he’s nowhere near the player people want him to be. He increased his catches the last few games of the season, two seasons ago, to 2-3 catches a game. Yes, 2-3 catches per game and people fell all over themselves to announce he was breaking out and would have a huge year the following year (this season that just ended).

I can’t wait to see McCord and OG, especially with some solid rb’s, wr’s and playmakers to take the pressure off OG.

I’ve been saying for two years he’s nowhere near the player people want him to be. He increased his catches the last few games of the season, two seasons ago, to 2-3 catches a game. Yes, 2-3 catches per game and people fell all over themselves to announce he was breaking out and would have a huge year the following year (this season that just ended).
For his physical attributes, he should have 4/5/6 catches a game minimum. But he doesn't because he lets the ball come to him. He doesn't attack the ball, which makes him prone to drops and getting balls tipped away, and he gets bodied by physical CBs.

It's all a mentality thing, and I don't think you can coach it into him at this stage of his career.

Once again, not opposed to him coming back but I don't think he's going to take that leap some are projecting. I think he'd just be the same as this year.

For his physical attributes, he should have 4/5/6 catches a game minimum. But he doesn't because he lets the ball come to him. He doesn't attack the ball, which makes him prone to drops and getting balls tipped away, and he gets bodied by physical CBs.

It's all a mentality thing, and I don't think you can coach it into him at this stage of his career.

Once again, not opposed to him coming back but I don't think he's going to take that leap some are projecting. I think he'd just be the same as this year.
I completely agnostic to him coming or going. If Fran thinks he can use him great, if not no big deal.