OT - Big Ten considers making all freshmen ineligible | Syracusefan.com

OT - Big Ten considers making all freshmen ineligible

However, Adam Silver is on record saying he favors upping the age requirement to 20 to enter the NBA. I still think making frosh ineligible is a bad a idea, but this would make more sense if the NBA did change the age requirement.

I'm trying to figure out how this could possibly work.

Freshmen would just practice?

Absurd.

I imagine the plan would be to have freshmen teams like the old days.

Crusty said:

I thought about that, but the expense would be enormous and you'd need at least 7-8 freshmen to field a team.

You couldn't ask players on the varsity step down and play extra games.

I just can't see how this would work.

What a joke. Another publicity stunt to try and trick people into thinking they're the premier academic athletic conference. Definitely not going to help their drought of national titles dating back to when Clinton was in office.

If you brought in 10 Freshman each year, and only 3-4 make the Varsity squad the following year, what happens to the other 6-7 kids? Is there a JV squad?

Or are they supplementing the Frosh team with walkons?

I've often wished we had a JV team that played before the varsity games like the old freshmen teams. A warm -up act where the walk-ons would play with the not-ready for prime time guys like Paterson, Johnson and Obokoh. And those guys would still be available to play in the varsity game if needed. One rule: no overtimes, sicne virtually all 'varisyt' games are televised these days and they have to start on time. .

This only works if the other P5's follow suit. Otherwise the B1G would be throwing themselves back into the 70's.

Again,an NCAA rule that impacts (predominantly) AA men. If its a rule, it should be a rule for ALL athletes.
True. More specifically hoops as virtually no FB players are ready to go professional so early. I don't get the rationale other than some circuitous attempt to influence the NBA collective bargaining agreement as far as age restriction / minimum years in college.

Just talking about it They just opened up a giant negative recruiting soft spot ... don't go to that Big 10 school their conference has been in discussions about making Freshsmen ineligible here at Non Big 10 university we value our freshmen players try to get them early playing time if they are ready. You never know when that decision will come down.

This only works if the other P5's follow suit. Otherwise the B1G would be throwing themselves back into the 70's.

Imagine if the P5's do follow suit, and then the non P5's don't go along...that would certainly flip things for a number of prospects.

This idea is so dumb and if they pass it, the top players will go play overseas, in the D League, or maybe UA/Nike open basketball academies and hire trainers like McClanaghan to just work them out for a year.

Swofford on record saying it should be researched.

This is just moronic. ESPN was ripping it to shreds last night, and I imagine if the entire ESPN machine is against it there's no way it passes.

Basketball players will just go overseas and make some cash instead of be forced to feed a plantation system where they get no real benefit for a year. Wasting a year of development so that the B1G and PAC can pretend that they give a s*** about college athletes.

I'd be so disappointed if the ACC goes along with this nonsense.

Edited because I just found this from the freaking hypocrite Wallace Loh from Maryland:

“What I like about the concept of the proposal is it puts right up front the basic issue: Are we basically a quasi-professional activity or primarily an educational activity?” university President Wallace Loh said. “And if you support it, you are basically saying very clearly the No. 1 priority is the education of the students.”

So the a**hole who just left the ACC to join a conference whose members will have "more money than God" (according to Gordon Gee) thanks to primarily African American football and basketball players is now worried about whether college sports are educational or professional? Seriously!?! This is the height of cynicism and hypocrisy and it's just disgusting. When you people stop paying coaches $7m a year, stop building luxury suites in your stadiums, stop pimping your athletes with long seasons, insane travel schedules, and too much practice and forced work outs, then I'll think you're serious.

I didn't think I could hate an entity quite like I hate the Big Ten.

Last edited:
Just talking about it They just opened up a giant negative recruiting soft spot ... don't go to that Big 10 school their conference has been in discussions about making Freshsmen ineligible here at Non Big 10 university we value our freshmen players try to get them early playing time if they are ready. You never know when that decision will come down.

If I were recruiting against as B1G school Id flat out tell the kid there's a chance he'd have to sit out a year and possibly lose a year of eligibility.

I can not wish more bad things to happen that conference.

Honestly, If the kids don't really care about any education, I'd just as soon the do go overseas. In the long run, I think it would be better for college basketball. There are so many positives for the schools, the fans, and any of the players who are not leaving after one year anyways. I'd love to see all the P5's go this route. It would be a nice end around on the NBA problem.

Honestly, If the kids don't really care about any education, I'd just as soon the do go overseas. In the long run, I think it would be better for college basketball. There are so many positives for the schools, the fans, and any of the players who are not leaving after one year anyways. I'd love to see all the P5's go this route. It would be a nice end around on the NBA problem.

Why is the NBA a problem? Why are an infinitesimal amount of players that leave after a year or two a problem? The entire point of college is to prepare you for a career. If a drama major gets a big role and leaves school, the school is proud and no one says there's a problem of drama majors not taking school seriously because they all want to go to Hollywood or Broadway.

Dumbest thing I've ever heard. Lets hold kids back MORE!! I do hope the Big does this though. It would be an advantage for ACC programs.