OT: Breanna Stewart leaving CNY to go away to college | Syracusefan.com

OT: Breanna Stewart leaving CNY to go away to college

cliftonparksufan

Iggy Award Czar/Co 2020-21 Iggy Award Winner PPG
We believe Thomas Bryant wanted to leave upstate NY because it was too close to his mom but what was Breanna Stewart's reason. Did she even give Syracuse a sniff. I understand wanting to play for Geno but it's unfortunate what she could have done for the SU girls. Oh well.

We believe Thomas Bryant wanted to leave upstate NY because it was too close to his mom but what was Breanna Stewart's reason. Did she even give Syracuse a sniff. I understand wanting to play for Geno but it's unfortunate what she could have done for the SU girls. Oh well.
I heard she was trying to distance herself from Thomas Bryant's mom.

Who can blame her for going to play for the best women's program.
In women's basketball there isn't much parity the elite schools stay on top and Stewart wanted to win. Connecticut isn't that far from Syracuse and the program appealed to her.
UConn WBB is like the 1960's/70's UCLA men's basketball program with how they have won NCs. Now I just wish Geno would stop acting like we should treat him like he is John Wooden. Jim Calhoun and Geno have never gotten along that should say something.

Who can blame her for going to play for the best women's program.
In women's basketball there isn't much parity the elite schools stay on top and Stewart wanted to win. Connecticut isn't that far from Syracuse and the program appealed to her.
UConn WBB is like the 1960's/70's UCLA men's basketball program with how they have won NCs. Now I just wish Geno would stop acting like we should treat him like he is John Wooden. Jim Calhoun and Geno have never gotten along that should say something.
Calhoun's a well known @#"#

Calhoun's a well known @#"#
Calhoun may be annoying but his 3 NCs are more impressive to me than Geno's 10 NCs.

I remember reading an article in SI about the frosty relationship between Geno and Calhoun it was an interesting read.

To win 4 championships
Right, but if she is that good, and she is, why couldn't she have done that at Syracuse. I'm sure a few other top recruits would have come to be her teammates. Maybe when you are 17 years old you don't think about being a trailblazer.

Calhoun may be annoying but his 3 NCs are more impressive to me than Geno's 10 NCs.

I remember reading an article in SI about the frosty relationship between Geno and Calhoun it was an interesting read.
It was an amazing article... especially the way in which Calhoun described women's basketball. As I recall, he referred to the women's fans as something like "little girls, grandmothers and lesbians." It did not endear him to Geno.

It was an amazing article... especially the way in which Calhoun described women's basketball. As I recall, he referred to the women's fans as something like "little girls, grandmothers and lesbians." It did not endear him to Geno.
Speaking of which, my wife was watching "Say Yes to the Dress" the other night and Brittany Griner was on as the fiancee of the girl picking out her wedding dress. If you didn't know that Griner was a female you would guess she was a guy. Looks and sounds like a guy.

Right, but if she is that good, and she is, why couldn't she have done that at Syracuse. I'm sure a few other top recruits would have come to be her teammates. Maybe when you are 17 years old you don't think about being a trailblazer.

She couldn't do it at Syracuse because Q couldn't coach her out of a paper bag. She wouldn't have developed because Geno brings in the best players and turns them into WNBA all stars and Olympians. And regardless, Geno's teams would beat Syracuse by 30 even with Stewart playing for Syracuse.

I get irrationally annoyed when the PS does B Stewart stories.

She couldn't do it at Syracuse because Q couldn't coach her out of a paper bag. She wouldn't have developed because Geno brings in the best players and turns them into WNBA all stars and Olympians. And regardless, Geno's teams would beat Syracuse by 30 even with Stewart playing for Syracuse.
Plus if she was at SU she would carry them to a Sweet 16 loss every year and be labeled a massive underachiever. Who needs that?

Let's be real. Breanna was actually CNY's parting gift to Uconn when we left the Big East.

You almost sound like a real fan in this post. And I agree ... she decided to chase glory at a WBB powerhouse, instead of staying home to help her home-town team (which made the tournament this year). I wish BS no ill and understand that sometimes athletes want to get away. But I don't follow her at all and didn't watch the latest Yukon installment. I watched the SU women play a pesky Nebraska team and loose to a tough SC team -- they could have used your help, Bre.

Last edited:
Stay home...maybe make 1 FF in 4 years

Or go to the best women's program ever, and in your first 3 years win 3 titles and 3 MOP's.

Calhoun actually said that?

She actually liked Coach Q and has a good relationship with him, but he was never under the impression she was seriously considering SU. They both knew where she was going, and he was supportive of her. I think she actually kept SU on her list down to the wire to help Q with recruiting. I remember seeing her at the Dome with Q even after she picked UConn. But there was NEVER ANY doubt where she was going for college. None.

You almost sound like a real fan in this post. And I agree ... she decided to chase glory at a WBB powerhouse, instead of staying home to help her home-town team (which made the tournament this year). I wish BS no ill and understand that sometimes athletes want to get away. But I don't follow her at all and didn't watch the latest Yukon installment. I watched the SU women play a pesky Nebraska team and loose to a tough SC team -- they could have used your help, Bre.
And there are probably plenty of Coppin State fans still pissed off at Carmelo for chasing glory at SU, not mention all those Pratt Institute fans still holding a grudge against the Pearl...

And there are probably plenty of Coppin State fans still pissed off at Carmelo for chasing glory at SU, not mention all those Pratt Institute fans still holding a grudge against the Pearl...
For Pearl, it would have been LIU Brooklyn moreso than Pratt. IMHO.

You can't compare Brianna going to UCONN instead of SU with Bryant choosing an unstable Indiana team over Syracuse. Syracuse women's b'ball is not in the same league as UCONN, she would have been crazy to choose SU.

Either way, I don't follow her, and her home town team could have used some help.

Syracuse women's b'ball is not in the same league as UCONN, she would have been crazy to choose SU.

Actually we were in the same league as Yukon. In every successful program and in every successful coaches career, he or she has a player who defines them. There is no question why she chose Yukon. It's like a free agent. Do you want to play for the Yankees or do you want to play for the Astros. However, Stewart could have been that player that defined the Syracuse Orangewomen for ever. She is that good that even at Syracuse or Binghamton or Albany, she would have found that other top recruits would have wanted to play on the same court as her and she could have won a championship. So, as far fetch as maybe it seems, maybe it wouldn't have been so crazy for her to choose another school.

Is UConn going to be playing @ Syracuse next year for Stewart's Senior year? I would figure the lady would deserve a CNY home game and the Dome would get a pretty big crowd if that happened.

Is UConn going to be playing @ Syracuse next year for Stewart's Senior year? I would figure the lady would deserve a CNY home game and the Dome would get a pretty big crowd if that happened.
50 yard line?
th