OT: Breanna Stewart leaving CNY to go away to college | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Breanna Stewart leaving CNY to go away to college

She liked Q but saw his limitations and didn't want to get all wrapped up "in a paper bag". So she got out of the bag at Uconn big time. PS Geno and his staff could easily contend for the championship with SU players. In my opinion Q is really lacking. If Q was in charge of Uconn they would not have won the championship.

Total chalk most years in womens college basketball tournament. No such thing as parity. Very few big upsets ever. Geno couldn't get to a final 4 with SU players.

You can't compare Brianna going to UCONN instead of SU with Bryant choosing an unstable Indiana team over Syracuse. Syracuse women's b'ball is not in the same league as UCONN, she would have been crazy to choose SU.
We're all entitled to our own opinion. I think yours is crazy -- SU's her home team. It's also a very respectable womens BB program .. first NCAA birth in recent years with Coach Q, and won its first round this year. It was a nice team .. and we could have used some outside firepower.

No, it's not Yukon .. which has been stockpiling players and trophies. But so what .. the 'Cuse is in her back yard, and is the only high-major program (outside of NYC) in the state where she was born and raised. That's never going to change. I'm not hating on Stewart .. but there are consequences for her decision.

Last edited:
We believe Thomas Bryant wanted to leave upstate NY because it was too close to his mom but what was Breanna Stewart's reason. Did she even give Syracuse a sniff. I understand wanting to play for Geno but it's unfortunate what she could have done for the SU girls. Oh well.
Again, amazingly, you sound like a fan. And I agree -- Stewart opted for glory with a rival program. That was more important to her than helping her own, home-town (and upstart) women's BB program take the next step.

Again, amazingly, you sound like a fan. And I agree -- Stewart opted for glory with a rival program. That was more important to her than helping her own, home-town (and upstart) women's BB program take the next step.
So Hakim Warrick should have gone to Villanova, Carmelo Anthony should have gone to Maryland, Gerry McNamara should have gone to Penn State, Kueth Duany should have gone to Indiana, and Josh Pace should have gone to Georgia?
I don't think any recruit owes their home-town anything and most athletes go for glory, exposure, and a quality education in some situations. Of course it would have been great if Stewart wanted to come to Syracuse, but every elite WBB recruit looks at UConn, Stanford, Notre Dame, Tennessee, Maryland these days above the rest.

So Hakim Warrick should have gone to Villanova, Carmelo Anthony should have gone to Maryland, Gerry McNamara should have gone to Penn State, Kueth Duany should have gone to Indiana, and Josh Pace should have gone to Georgia?
I don't think any recruit owes their home-town anything and most athletes go for glory, exposure, and a quality education in some situations. Of course it would have been great if Stewart wanted to come to Syracuse, but every elite WBB recruit looks at UConn, Stanford, Notre Dame, Tennessee, Maryland these days above the rest.
Either way, I'm a 'Cuse fan and don't follow her. It's nice that she opted for glory and trophies. All I'm saying is .. her home team could have used her help.

Either way, I'm a 'Cuse fan and don't follow her. It's nice that she opted for glory and trophies. All I'm saying is .. her home team could have used her help.
I don't disagree with you. However, I mean she has 3 NCs in 3 years can't say I blame her for leaving. The bigger problem for WBB is competitive depth. Their aren't many teams capable of beating the top teams. If there was more competitive balance throughout the game Stewart may have come to SU and won.

I don't disagree with you. However, I mean she has 3 NCs in 3 years can't say I blame her for leaving. The bigger problem for WBB is competitive depth. Their aren't many teams capable of beating the top teams. If there was more competitive balance throughout the game Stewart may have come to SU and won.
True .. Yukon women are a juggernaut and there is clearly a lack of parity in the women's game.That said, there are consequences for turning your back on your home team (and home state).

Is UConn going to be playing @ Syracuse next year for Stewart's Senior year? I would figure the lady would deserve a CNY home game and the Dome would get a pretty big crowd if that happened.

No and Ucant fans are all pissy about it. They will be playing at Colgate.

If SU is saying no I am fine with that. We play in the toughest league in the country and don't need the game if our HC doesn't want it. Colgate is close enough go play there.

Glory and trophies and multiple national championships. Simply shameful. Whatever was she thinking?

Glory and trophies and multiple national championships. Simply shameful. Whatever was she thinking?

She's another UConn womens basketball player. I don't like or dislike her. I nothing her.

She's another UConn womens basketball player. I don't like or dislike her. I nothing her.
But you sure seem to have a lot to say about her and her choices.

MadisonCuse said:

Good. The last thing we need is a 40 point home loss.

reedny said:
True .. Yukon women are a juggernaut and there is clearly a lack of parity in the women's game.That said, there are consequences for turning your back on your home team (and home state).

Consequences like 3 (likely 4) national championships, getting national publicity, national awards, playing on national TV, every game televised, 8,000+ at every home game.

And notwithstanding playing for the greatest coach in the history of her game. He stockpiles talent but all his top players get better and become All Stars and seemingly make up about half of the Olympic team.

Hopefully a new AD will fire Q and show an actual commitment to winning. A regular sweet16+ program is doable with a coach who isn't awful. And hopefully we'll manage to be a worthwhile destination for the next great CNY player.

But you sure seem to have a lot to say about her and her choices.

Elaborate.

This is my third post in this thread. The first was more a dig at the PS.

Elaborate.

This is my third post in this thread. The first was more a dig at the PS.
Sorry, docsu, I just assumed I was responding to reedny as I read through the latest posts here.

That's just it .. that's all she was thinking.

Consequences like 3 (likely 4) national championships, getting national publicity, national awards, playing on national TV, every game televised, 8,000+ at every home game.

And notwithstanding playing for the greatest coach in the history of her game. He stockpiles talent but all his top players get better and become All Stars and seemingly make up about half of the Olympic team.

Hopefully a new AD will fire Q and show an actual commitment to winning. A regular sweet16+ program is doable with a coach who isn't awful. And hopefully we'll manage to be a worthwhile destination for the next great CNY player.
You sound like a Yukon fan today. Yes they're successful. They get the best players. If a few stayed home, there'd be more parity.

That's just it .. that's all she was thinking.

Uh maybe UConn had a better program for her course of study? Maybe she felt more comfortable off the court there? Maybe she just wanted to get away from home? I'd love for her to have chosen Syracuse also but not if she didn't want to be here. Sad that you are so bitter about somebody making what they feel is the best decision for her future.

Uh maybe UConn had a better program for her course of study? Maybe she felt more comfortable off the court there? Maybe she just wanted to get away from home? I'd love for her to have chosen Syracuse also but not if she didn't want to be here. Sad that you are so bitter about somebody making what they feel is the best decision for her future.
bla bla bla. i know those are possible. but we all know that she dissed her home school for Yukon. That's beyond dispute. And we could have used the help... certainly not a bad program here.

reedny said:
You sound like a Yukon fan today. Yes they're successful. They get the best players. If a few stayed home, there'd be more parity.

Why would anyone stay home when we treat women's basketball as an afterthought?

Connecticut cares about the sport. It actually matters there. People make fun of the state for it, but it's a reality. Why on earth would anyone want to play in front of 300 at Syracuse for a horrible coach with little to no support from the community or university when they could play at Connecticut?

I wish we cared about women's basketball. It's the 3rd most televised college sport. I think it's embarrassing that we don't care about it. And as long as our administration thinks that 2nd round losses are good enough we'll never be worthy of top talent.