OT-Champions League | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT-Champions League

I don't think anyone can match Gomez in the air now that Terry is out. He should score at least once in the Final. He has been among the best strikers in the world this season.

It really is crazy to me how they have all the competitions going on at once. As an american fan, it took me a while to get used to it. It would almost be like if while the BE season was going on, so was the Big East Tournament (though instead of over 1 weekend, it took place over the course of the season), as well as the NCAA tournament, but NCAA tournament seedings and selections were based off last year's results.

I couldn't have been more surprised that Barcelona lost to Chelsea. Going in I thought it would be one of the two Spanish teams or Bayern. I've been rooting for Bayern ever since Liverpool played too crappy to get in.

Chelsea going through is good news for Liverpool on the FA Cup final as well. Winning the FA Cup at this point is top priority after such an abismal season, however it is 3rd for Chelsea beyond CL Final, and fighting for a top 4 spot in the league.

As to the final itself, I'll be cheering for Munich and at home they should prevail. However, looking at their roster and resources, they have a propensity to underacheive badly. Case in point, the Bundesliga standings where Dortmond is 8 points clear.

German football is awesome though being my 2nd favorite league behind EPL but probably a bit more fun to actually watch since they aren't as inclined to the diving epidemic that is prevalent in all other leagues. Alot of tough play gets waved on in Germany where you see fouls and cards in other leagues for similar play.

The CL anthem has gotta go. Fox soccer plays it every two seconds and it drives me mad!

I'm a Chelsea fan, but his injury theatrics on the field lately are even pissing me off.

Same thing I see as a Liverpool fan with Carroll. Big, physical players like that should not go down as easily as they do. It's frusterating for supporters, as well as opposing fans alike.

I don't think anyone can match Gomez in the air now that Terry is out. He should score at least once in the Final. He has been among the best strikers in the world this season.

Gomez was always bound for greatness. Liverpool bid on him when Munich still had Klose starting a few years back and Munich effectively laughed and told us to p*ss off.

Gomez was always bound for greatness. Liverpool bid on him when Munich still had Klose starting a few years back and Munich effectively laughed and told us to p*ss off.
That was definitely never going to happen haha. Management played that about as well as they could. Got everything they could out of Klose and had it perfectly set up with Gomez as the successor. If anything, they waited one season too long with Klose. I honestly became a fan of Bayern because I was a German national team fan first. Mighty happy with the decision to start closely following club football. I'd also like to echo the sentiments on the Bundesliga. I watch more of it than any other league and a lot of physical play goes uncalled and makes the game open up more. And one last point on Dortmund. They are a young, incredibly talented squad that has benefited from playing fewer matches. Their sole focus is on winning the Bundesliga, and they've managed to avoid the slip-ups that have harmed Bayern domestically. One of the reasons that the Bundesliga representatives in the CL (besides Bayern, and Schalke last year) have struggled involves the fact that after their great domestic campaigns, their talent gets raided by the biggest clubs in the world. (Ozil, Khedira, Gomez, etc.) The same club that had been a Top 3 Bundesliga finisher the year before never actually sees the field in the CL.

Chelsea going through is good news for Liverpool on the FA Cup final as well. Winning the FA Cup at this point is top priority after such an abismal season, however it is 3rd for Chelsea beyond CL Final, and fighting for a top 4 spot in the league.

As to the final itself, I'll be cheering for Munich and at home they should prevail. However, looking at their roster and resources, they have a propensity to underacheive badly. Case in point, the Bundesliga standings where Dortmond is 8 points clear.

German football is awesome though being my 2nd favorite league behind EPL but probably a bit more fun to actually watch since they aren't as inclined to the diving epidemic that is prevalent in all other leagues. Alot of tough play gets waved on in Germany where you see fouls and cards in other leagues for similar play.
Thing is, if Chelsea wins the CL, they don't have to worry about a top 4 finish because they would be qualified for the CL due to that. That would also dick over who ever is #4, as no federation can have more than 4 CL teams. That would make the Arsenal/Newcastle/Spurs race for 3 even more interesting.

Thing is, if Chelsea wins the CL, they don't have to worry about a top 4 finish because they would be qualified for the CL due to that. That would also dick over who ever is #4, as no federation can have more than 4 CL teams. That would make the Arsenal/Newcastle/Spurs race for 3 even more interesting.

CL final is 6 days after the EPL season ends though. The FA Cup final sits in the middle of 5 games in 15 days for Chelsea with the 4 league games being ones they desperately need to win. They have Newcastle 3 days prior to the FA Cup Final as well as Liverpool again @ Anfield 3 days after. I'll be very interested to see their lineup vs Newcastle vs changes made for the FA Cup final vs Liverpool vs the league tie vs Liverpool that follows. Perhaps they value the FA Cup title but I'd think trying for 3 points in the remaining league games would take precident. CL qualification > Europa

That was definitely never going to happen haha. Management played that about as well as they could. Got everything they could out of Klose and had it perfectly set up with Gomez as the successor. If anything, they waited one season too long with Klose. I honestly became a fan of Bayern because I was a German national team fan first. Mighty happy with the decision to start closely following club football. I'd also like to echo the sentiments on the Bundesliga. I watch more of it than any other league and a lot of physical play goes uncalled and makes the game open up more. And one last point on Dortmund. They are a young, incredibly talented squad that has benefited from playing fewer matches. Their sole focus is on winning the Bundesliga, and they've managed to avoid the slip-ups that have harmed Bayern domestically. One of the reasons that the Bundesliga representatives in the CL (besides Bayern, and Schalke last year) have struggled involves the fact that after their great domestic campaigns, their talent gets raided by the biggest clubs in the world. (Ozil, Khedira, Gomez, etc.) The same club that had been a Top 3 Bundesliga finisher the year before never actually sees the field in the CL.

Agreed on most all point but Bayern manages to underacheive most years domestically and they are by far the largest club in Germany.

To point about which league I prefer, I'd much rather watch 2 mid level Bundesliga teams vs 2 mid level EPL teams where I don't have a vested interest. Mainz vs Hamburg > Swansea vs Stoke. It's fun seeing the small German teams step up to the big leagues. Greuther Furth is my German team with the most ties and seeing their stadium vs Munich is staggering in comparison.

CL final is 6 days after the EPL season ends though. The FA Cup final sits in the middle of 5 games in 15 days for Chelsea with the 4 league games being ones they desperately need to win. They have Newcastle 3 days prior to the FA Cup Final as well as Liverpool again @ Anfield 3 days after. I'll be very interested to see their lineup vs Newcastle vs changes made for the FA Cup final vs Liverpool vs the league tie vs Liverpool that follows. Perhaps they value the FA Cup title but I'd think trying for 3 points in the remaining league games would take precident. CL qualification > Europa

Arsenal - Stoke (A) Norwich (H) West Brom (A)
Newcastle - Wigan (A) Chelsea (A) Man City (H) Everton (A)
Spurs - Blackburn(H) Bolton (A) Aston Villa (A) Fulham (H)
Chelsea - QPR (H) Newcastle (H) Liverpool (A) Blackburn (H)

I think that Arsenal is pretty much locked into 3. They shouldn't drop points the rest of the way. Newcastle has a very tough schedule and will struggle to stay ahead of Spurs, but their recent form indicates maybe they can jump up to 3. Despite Spurs bad form, they should still win 3 of those last 4. I can see them dropping points in a few of those games as well though. Chelsea has a favorable schedule as well but the 5 games in 15 days will keep them out of the top 4.

I think it finishes up Arsenal, Spurs, Newcastle, Chelsea and Chelsea doesn't return to the CL

Arsenal - Stoke (A) Norwich (H) West Brom (A)
Newcastle - Wigan (A) Chelsea (A) Man City (H) Everton (A)
Spurs - Blackburn(H) Bolton (A) Aston Villa (A) Fulham (H)
Chelsea - QPR (H) Newcastle (H) Liverpool (A) Blackburn (H)

I think that Arsenal is pretty much locked into 3. They shouldn't drop points the rest of the way. Newcastle has a very tough schedule and will struggle to stay ahead of Spurs, but their recent form indicates maybe they can jump up to 3. Despite Spurs bad form, they should still win 3 of those last 4. I can see them dropping points in a few of those games as well though. Chelsea has a favorable schedule as well but the 5 games in 15 days will keep them out of the top 4.

I think it finishes up Arsenal, Spurs, Newcastle, Chelsea and Chelsea doesn't return to the CL

Spurs drop off has been staggering. I'd still peg Newcastle to finish ahead of Spurs based on form but Chelsea has the easiest run in with 3 of 4 games at Stamford Bridge. They could very easily drop points in all 4 remaining games though. Hopefully they drop 3 @ Anfield.

The CL anthem has gotta go. Fox soccer plays it every two seconds and it drives me mad!

It was the same when ESPN had the CL. They also blast it at the stadiums. It's a CL - Heine thing I think.

Big Bastian Schweinsteiger (sp) fan. Go Bayern!

It was the same when ESPN had the CL. They also blast it at the stadiums. It's a CL - Heine thing I think.

Big Bastian Schweinsteiger (sp) fan. Go Bayern!

It's mandated throughout the world I believe. I have copies of C.L. games from other countries and the intros are all the same, except for the primary sponsors, which change based on location. The Heineken ads in the U.S. are replaced by Ford and Mastercard, among others, elsewhere.

They won't have CL berth locked, in fact, they'll prob be eliminated. They are 4 back of Newcastle and 1 back of Spurs.

They got Newcastle on May 2nd, which if they lose they are basically out of CL berth running, then FA Cup 3 days later. Got to think they'll be safe and go for the Cup win.

Then just have to win to get into CL next year.
Easier said than done...but if they go all out vs Newcastle, I think there's a good possibility they lose all 3 regardless.

Newcastle has a very tough remaining schedule, but Spurs play the worst 3 or 4 teams in the EPL in their remaining games. Newcastle will likely fall back, but I don't think Chelsea can catch Spurs.

its really fun to watch bayern year in year out flex their muscles with the team approach. the bundesliga is really underrated.

Bayern wasn't very good last year, and didn't make Champions League. It was their acquisition of Manuel Neuer, the hot goal keeper who carried Schalke all the way to the semifinals last year that has made them a new team. They had a pretty good attack last year, but a leaky defense. This year, Mario Gomez has become unstoppable and is a new man up front. That and Neuer are the difference, although Bayern still has a shaky back four, in my opinion.

Chelsea definitely at a disadvantage without 4 key players. I am hoping they pull through however not feeling too good about it. Bayern has a pretty strong squad and would be a lot for Chelsea even if they had those 4 players. I do have some hope though, Drogba and Torres have been playing pretty good lately and for Drogba and Lampard, this is revenge for 08.

Bayern is missing 3 guys from their back line, so hopefully it evens out.

It really is crazy to me how they have all the competitions going on at once. As an american fan, it took me a while to get used to it. It would almost be like if while the BE season was going on, so was the Big East Tournament (though instead of over 1 weekend, it took place over the course of the season), as well as the NCAA tournament, but NCAA tournament seedings and selections were based off last year's results.

Yep, it takes some getting used to, doesn't it ?

Agreed on most all point but Bayern manages to underacheive most years domestically and they are by far the largest club in Germany.

To point about which league I prefer, I'd much rather watch 2 mid level Bundesliga teams vs 2 mid level EPL teams where I don't have a vested interest. Mainz vs Hamburg > Swansea vs Stoke. It's fun seeing the small German teams step up to the big leagues. Greuther Furth is my German team with the most ties and seeing their stadium vs Munich is staggering in comparison.

Where do you watch Bundesliga games? I think of the EPL as exemplifying what you are talking about - i.e. not much diving, players criticized for it in press and by fans - "it's a man's sport". Spain is like the ACC - only 2 teams matter and they are miles better than everyone else. Serie A games are a little slow, and very defensive. They are the queens of melodrama, too, diving for calls. The Spanish and the Italians are the worst. The few French games I see, I see good athleticism and some stars, but not that many. Heavy African presence in the French league due to old colonial era ties, I guess.

Where do you watch Bundesliga games? I think of the EPL as exemplifying what you are talking about - i.e. not much diving, players criticized for it in press and by fans - "it's a man's sport". Spain is like the ACC - only 2 teams matter and they are miles better than everyone else. Serie A games are a little slow, and very defensive. They are the queens of melodrama, too, diving for calls. The Spanish and the Italians are the worst. The few French games I see, I see good athleticism and some stars, but not that many. Heavy African presence in the French league due to old colonial era ties, I guess.

ESPN3 and FSC when I'm somewhere that has it. No cable so ESPN3 is my refuge when I find time to watch.

The French league seems to be improving so will be interesting to see their growth the next few years. La Liga is what it is but at least there are some exciting players both established and upcoming to keep an eye on for potential transfer targets. I can't force myself to watch Serie A at this point though. Most players there are past it and the diving and feigning injuries for extreme amounts of time is a bit much.

Between ESPN3, Fox Soccer Channel (FSC) and FSC Plus, you can get plenty of EPL, Bundesliga and Serie A games.

I watch soccer on Fox Soccer & ESPN all the time, and don't think I've ever seen a Bundesliga game on there, in like the last 3 years. Fox Soccer Plus, maybe. But I don't see them advertise anything from Germany on there.