OT: coaching - recomended reading? | Syracusefan.com

OT: coaching - recomended reading?

swish7

All Conference
I am requesting any recomendations for good books on coaching basketball.

Does JB have a list?

If any of you have coached, what books would you recommend?

Here is a link book, DVDs, etc. personally I prefer DVDs because I'm more of a visual person.

Link

Had it as a kid. Great for fundamentals.

image.jpg

I am requesting any recomendations for good books on coaching basketball.,

Does JB have a list?

Just to follow up I think you should choose a subject within the game. Like transition offense, M2M, 2-3 zone, etc. I don't believe there is one bible on the game, and you can literally start with any subject you prefer and go on from there.

Thank you. I am coaching 5-6 year olds, and am looking to teach the basics. I actually inherited some really talented kids, so I need to step up the teachings a bit more than expected. The 4-1 motion offense seems appropriate. However, as the league is 4-4, I'll need to make it a 3-1.

Most of the youth basketball stuff I've seen so far starts with 7 year olds.

Regarding books, I was thinking more of something philosphical or the principles, as opposed to schematics.

Thank you. I am coaching 5-6 year olds, and am looking to teach the basics. I actually inherited some really talented kids, so I need to step up the teachings a bit more than expected. The 4-1 motion offense seems appropriate. However, as the league is 4-4, I'll need to make it a 3-1.

Most of the youth basketball stuff I've seen so far starts with 7 year olds.

Regarding books, I was thinking more of something philosphical or the principles, as opposed to schematics.

John Wooden

Flop - Coach K
Hunting with Bob Knight - Robert Knight
Cleveland State - The Twilight Years - Rollie Massimino
Diner - Rick Pitino
Here's The Guy's Number - John Calipari

If you can teach a five year old how to run a motion offense, then I think your next stop should be the White House.

I am requesting any recomendations for good books on coaching basketball.

Does JB have a list?

Hey Swish: This was posted on Twitter tonight from Jay Bilas. You might be able to glean one or two tidbits. Actually some of our Cuse guys could also.

http://www.mdbball.com/Documents/ToughnessbyJayBilas.pdf

ihoops.com

There are lots of basic plays on there for young kids (and beginner coaches).

If you can teach a five year old how to run a motion offense, then I think your next stop should be the White House.

They either learn the motion offense, or they stand still in a defensive position mimicking the defender. Hilarious.

There are some six year olds, and overall some very talented kids.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom