OT - dorm opinion | Syracusefan.com

OT - dorm opinion

rrlbees

Have you donated to an SU NIL collective?
Staff member
Especially the more recent SU grads, what is your opinions of the DellPlain dorm?

Not a recent graduate :), but I would recommend strongly against Day or Flint. It is a real pain to go up and down those steps... especially in bad weather. I don't know which classes they are putting into Ernie Davis this year, but that's a pretty nice place.

I'm not a recent grad, but it was a bit of a dump when i was there. I was in flint for a couple of years. Close to campus (except for a couple of hundred steps that keeps you in shape), easy to get to class when weather sucked especially engineering classes.

Not a recent graduate :), but I would recommend strongly against Day or Flint. It is a real pain to go up and down those steps... especially in bad weather. I don't know which classes they are putting into Ernie Davis this year, but that's a pretty nice place.
I guess we had different experiences with the steps :)

Reactions: cto
I lived in Dellplain my sophomore year. It wasn't too bad. Kinda dumpy but I generally liked the location.

try watson
Only available for sophomores and up, I believe.

'11 grad here. Dellplain is a bit old but in a pretty solid location--especially compared to other dorms which are on the Mount (as CTO mentioned) or way on the other side of the Carrier Dome.

Only available for sophomores and up, I believe.

'11 grad here. Dellplain is a bit old but in a pretty solid location--especially compared to other dorms which are on the Mount (as CTO mentioned) or way on the other side of the Carrier Dome.
Hey, let's not knock dorms on the other side of the Dome. I lived in Sadler my freshman year and that was freaking fantastic. Everyone else trudges through snow for 5 minutes to get to games, I roll out of bed and shuffle 100 yards to get to a game. Just fantastic, man.

Hey, let's not knock dorms on the other side of the Dome. I lived in Sadler my freshman year and that was freaking fantastic. Everyone else trudges through snow for 5 minutes to get to games, I roll out of bed and shuffle 100 yards to get to a game. Just fantastic, man.
Fair. It has its upside on gamedays! But on non-game days...not so much :)

My son was in Dellplain his Freshman year 09-10 and he had no complaints. Convenient to Thorndon park and close enough to most classes and Marshall St. Since then a dining hall opened in Ernie Davis and that is next door. He was in a split double which has a little more privacy than a regular double. Let me know if you or your son has any specific questions and I'll talk with my son. (He is working in New Zealand so it may take a day or 2 to get back to you.)

HastingsCuse said:
My son was in Dellplain his Freshman year 09-10 and he had no complaints. Convenient to Thorndon park and close enough to most classes and Marshall St. Since then a dining hall opened in Ernie Davis and that is next door. He was in a split double which has a little more privacy than a regular double. Let me know if you or your son has any specific questions and I'll talk with my son. (He is working in New Zealand so it may take a day or 2 to get back to you.)

Thanks. I was gonna ask about Thorndon. Some areas of it can be bad. I assume if students go over there, that immediate area must be OK. DellPlain is where they have one of those Learning Communities for freshman in the Whitman School. Plus it seems centrally located to where he will have many of his classes at Whitman and the Ischool. Plus it's near the library. I know kids can't pick their dorm but if a freshman chooses to be in one of those learning communities it gives them an advantage on the dorm given.

Dellplain is as average as they come.

Which is fine. I didn't live there but can't imagine it was overly poor.

Decent spot too.

GoHamSU said:
Dellplain is as average as they come. Which is fine. I didn't live there but can't imagine it was overly poor. Decent spot too.

Except for Ernie Davis Hall, all the dorms seem pretty average. Are there any that are new or modern?

I think Brewster-Boland got redone a few years ago. I lived on Brewster 12 for 2 years (loved it), and a friend of my daughter took us to her room in Boland last year - it looked much nicer than when I lived there. Down side - living in BB means steps also.

If DellPlain has a learning community that he wants, I would go for it. As others have said, the location is great compared to what he might get in a lottery.

Thanks. I was gonna ask about Thorndon. Some areas of it can be bad. I assume if students go over there, that immediate area must be OK. DellPlain is where they have one of those Learning Communities for freshman in the Whitman School. Plus it seems centrally located to where he will have many of his classes at Whitman and the Ischool. Plus it's near the library. I know kids can't pick their dorm but if a freshman chooses to be in one of those learning communities it gives them an advantage on the dorm given.
Thorndon was never a problem for me and my buddies, but this was also 00-01 so obviously things might have gotten worse. We used to go play touch football and play catch and all that stuff pretty often and never had any issues. Of course most of the time we were in Watson, in the room of my other group of buddies, because they had a corner suite that had a window that opened out onto the roof so we could climb out and enjoy a few adult beverages out there. Not that we would have since we weren't of legal age at the time, of course.

cto said:
If DellPlain has a learning community that he wants, I would go for it. As others have said, the location is great compared to what he might get in a lottery.

Yea, DellPlain is where they put the freshman that want to live in a Learning Community for Whitman and also the ischool freshman. And since he's doing both schools and its centrally located to both colleges along with Marshall St, the library, Shine, etc it seems like the best option. You know he'll be at the Dome a lot but that's only 25 times a year. Living over there doesn't make a lot of sense.

Dellplain is pretty much a base level first year dorm. I'm very partial to Shaw, that's where the real learning gets done (GoHamSU @strumphasaurus)

Except for Ernie Davis Hall, all the dorms seem pretty average. Are there any that are new or modern?

My son is a senior in the Whitman School. His freshman year he lived in Lawrinson. That dorm had been completely remodeled in the summer of 2011 so it was in great shape. His sophomore year he lived on South campus. Last year on Euclid.

This year he lives on Ackerman which is fairly close to Thornden Park. The weekend of Feb 8th he and his four housemates went on a weekend ski trip to Vermont. When they got back they discovered their house was broken into- the main TV was stolen along with several lap tops, x- boxes etc. My son was more fortunate as he brought his lap top with him and they left his room untouched. Apparently this goes on all of the time. My son is not a skier and decided at the last minute to go cuz he didn't want to stay home alone. Thank God for that.

BlackKnight76 said:
Dellplain is pretty much a base level first year dorm. I'm very partial to Shaw, that's where the real learning gets done (GoHamSU @strumphasaurus)

What kind of "learning"? I know you man.

My buddies younger brother was at Dellplain last year and really liked it. Location wise it was ideal both academically and socially. Its been 12 years since i was a frosh and i know they did some remodeling of b/b since but i loved bb. Kind of its own community despite the proximity to the projects and the tough walk up van buren to the law building for class.

Lol i recall shaw as quite the party dorm... or i mean (socially active). That was my pregame stop most Thursday nights frosh year..

rrlbees said:
What kind of "learning"? I know you man.

All types of important college subjects. Most of us survived and turned out alright, so no harm, no foul.

Especially the more recent SU grads, what is your opinions of the DellPlain dorm?

Lived there as a frosh and soph much too long ago...

Location is top-notch and the split doubles were key...

Kimmel Dining Hall, if it still exists, was right across the street.

Wimpy wagon right outside the dorm on Comstock...

Hubba (Yes, that was his nickname; he was in Phi-Psi) sleeping in the trash...The six-foot bong at the end of the 6th floor...Co-ed floors by room and periodic coed bathrooms...but I digress...

Hopefully it has been redone since I lived there 30 years ago (ouch, just typing that hurts)...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom