OT: Drought is over for Canada | Syracusefan.com

OT: Drought is over for Canada

DonLightfoot

All Conference
We haven’t qualified for the basketball Olympics since 2000 I believe. The FIBA World Cup has been going for over a week or so in East Asia. Canada beat a very good Spanish team yesterday to qualify for the Olympics next year. FIBA basketball is very physical and can be quite exciting. We trailed Spain by double digits in the first half and recovered. We were down 12 at the start of the fourth quarter and ended up winning by three.

Congrats to Canada and the talented team they have put together! Rooting for RJ Barrett being a Knicks fan also. My wife and I just returned from a vacation in Nova Scotia a couple of weeks ago. We loved it. A beautiful place.

Congrats to Canada and the talented team they have put together! Rooting for RJ Barrett being a Knicks fan also. My wife and I just returned from a vacation in Nova Scotia a couple of weeks ago. We loved it. A beautiful place.
Digby Scallops

EOM

We haven’t qualified for the basketball Olympics since 2000 I believe. The FIBA World Cup has been going for over a week or so in East Asia. Canada beat a very good Spanish team yesterday to qualify for the Olympics next year. FIBA basketball is very physical and can be quite exciting. We trailed Spain by double digits in the first half and recovered. We were down 12 at the start of the fourth quarter and ended up winning by three.
I attended the Olympic basketball games in 2008, 2012 and 2016. The U.S. won the gold all three years, but Spain (starring Pau Gasol) was the second best team, winning two silvers and one bronze. You're correct; FIBA basketball is a very physical game. (Pic is with Jason Kidd and his gold medal in Beijing, 2008).

No photo description available.

Last edited:
Cycling the Cabot trail, if you're into that, is a must too. Amazing scenery, quaint towns, nice people ... and lots of challenging climbs.
Apparently things have changed. Toured Nova Scotia, including Cape Breton back in 1978 or maybe 1979 with my girlfriend (now my wife). We were turned away from a restaurant and a motel. The restaurant because we were on a motorcycle(beemer) and we’re wearing leather jackets. The motel because we weren’t yet married.

I attended the Olympic basketball games in 2008, 2012 and 2016. The U.S. won the gold all three years, but Spain (starring Pau Gasol) was the second best team, winning two silvers and one bronze. You're correct; FIBA basketball is a very physical game. (Pic is with Jason Kidd and his gold medal in Beijing, 2008).

No photo description available.
Kidd looks like he's riding the dragon

I must say that this Bronze Game was nowhere near as physical as all the other games Canada had played. Perhaps because pretty much all the players know each other very well, play against each other regularly and are teammates in some cases. Canada blew a large lead in the fourth quarter and USA came back to force overtime. First ever medal for Canada at the FIBA World Cup and first time qualifying for the Olympics since 2000 as mentioned in my opening post.

It should be noted that USA was without three players due to illness and was only able to dress nine. Gilgeous-Alexander was an absolute "stud" for us throughout this tournament, just incredible. There was a cameo appearance by Melo on the sideline as he is apparently the FIBA World Cup Ambassador.

Canada was one of the strongest rosters in the field so no shame dropping a game in OT to them. Germany was also a solid team but there is no way that team should be medaling over let alone winning gold over this USA roster. Based on depth of talent the USA roster was easily far and away the best in the field, no excuses.