OT: Drought is over for Canada | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Drought is over for Canada

Canada was one of the strongest rosters in the field so no shame dropping a game in OT to them. Germany was also a solid team but there is no way that team should be medaling over let alone winning gold over this USA roster. Based on depth of talent the USA roster was easily far and away the best in the field, no excuses.
I think going forward, the US will make it a point to add size - it won’t be easy as most of the top talented bigs in the NBA are foreign

I think going forward, the US will make it a point to add size - it won’t be easy as most of the top talented bigs in the NBA are foreign
I'm just not so sure that was the problem. The roster boasted DPOY Jaren Jackson and Walker Kessler a 7fter who is no slouch on the defensive end. This roster should have won gold and won gold fairly easily.

I'm just not so sure that was the problem. The roster boasted DPOY Jaren Jackson and Walker Kessler a 7fter who is no slouch on the defensive end. This roster should have won gold and won gold fairly easily.
Jackson’s value on defense is his versatility and ability to defend smaller guys in pick n roll action. He isn’t necessarily a great defender against big physical centers. Kessler also has issues with physicality, despite being a great shot blocker.

Jackson’s value on defense is his versatility and ability to defend smaller guys in pick n roll action. He isn’t necessarily a great defender against big physical centers. Kessler also has issues with physicality, despite being a great shot blocker.
Considering the nature of the international game, that should make Jackson the most valuable defender in the world

Team USA clearly misses Boeheim and Carmelo - the keys to the whole operation.

Why isn’t Jerami Grant on the team? He’s better than half the roster.

Considering the nature of the international game, that should make Jackson the most valuable defender in the world
Not necessarily. Several of the teams in the World Cup had more traditional back to the basket bigs that jackson struggled defending. Jonas Valanciunas put him in foul trouble early. He also struggled guarding Vucevic.

I must say that this Bronze Game was nowhere near as physical as all the other games Canada had played. Perhaps because pretty much all the players know each other very well, play against each other regularly and are teammates in some cases. Canada blew a large lead in the fourth quarter and USA came back to force overtime. First ever medal for Canada at the FIBA World Cup and first time qualifying for the Olympics since 2000 as mentioned in my opening post.

It should be noted that USA was without three players due to illness and was only able to dress nine. Gilgeous-Alexander was an absolute "stud" for us throughout this tournament, just incredible. There was a cameo appearance by Melo on the sideline as he is apparently the FIBA World Cup Ambassador.
That game was won by Dillon Brooks

lets see how many titles he wins without steph curry///so far zero...and that's my prediction for the final number
Yes, he lost his best player, arguably, one of the greatest 50 players of all time, and couldn’t win a championship. Name another NBA coach who has pulled that off. This is a pointless discussion. Good luck to yo and have a wonderful day

Zerlets see how many titles he wins without steph curry///so far zero...and that's my prediction for the final number
Same number of playoff wins that Jordan had without Pippen.

time house GIF

Yes, he lost his best player, arguably, one of the greatest 50 players of all time, and couldn’t win a championship. Name another NBA coach who has pulled that off. This is a pointless discussion. Good luck to yo and have a wonderful day
give Steve kerr any of the other rosters in the FIBA tourney and he aint medalling with them, either...or do you disagree??

NBA has become a caricature of basketball with the max deals and overinflated egos.

Kerr and the Warriors went 15-50 in 2019...got the 2 pick and didn't even use him.

Wiseman avg 12min and 7 points a game for kerr but he has no use for him...meanwhule wisemen avg 13 and 8 in 25 min for the pistons...his FIBA roster was crying for a big man,...but kerr doesnt know how to use one. ...such an elementary level error for a "great coach"

with the FIBA thing - kerr insisted on his small ball approach...i guess thats all he knows...and it was a total loser. he probably couldve used Wiseman on team USA too but was too blinded by his "system"

stever kerr is a wonderful person...great man...good in front of cameras...gives a great presser...

if there was a movie that needed an actor to play coach, he'd be a great choice.

but X's and O's he's mediokerr at best...

give him credit for at least getting out of the way the insane amount of talent his NBA roster had and letting GSW win with him...but the last few seasons he has shown that he doesnt really have what it takes to sustain winning in the NBA.

Like I said, he wont win anything again without Steph Curry.

Last edited:
give Steve kerr any of the other rosters in the FIBA tourney and he aint medalling with them, either...or do you disagree??

NBA has become a caricature of basketball with the max deals and overinflated egos.

Kerr and the Warriors went 15-50 in 2019...got the 2 pick and didn't even use him.

Wiseman avg 12min and 7 points a game for kerr but he has no use for him...meanwhule wisemen avg 13 and 8 in 25 min for the pistons...his FIBA roster was crying for a big man,...but kerr doesnt know how to use one. ...such an elementary level error for a "great coach"

with the FIBA thing - kerr insisted on his small ball approach...i guess thats all he knows...and it was a total loser. he probably couldve used Wiseman on team USA too but was too blinded by his "system"

stever kerr is a wonderful person...great man...good in front of cameras...gives a great presser...

if there was a movie that needed an actor to play coach, he'd be a great choice.

but X's and O's he's mediokerr at best...

give him credit for at least getting out of the way the insane amount of talent his NBA roster had and letting GSW win with him...but the last few seasons he has shown that he doesnt really have what it takes to sustain winning in the NBA.

Like I said, he wont win anything again without Steph Curry.
Is Bill Belichick overrated? Post-Brady, 7-9,10-7,8-9,0-2

Is Bill Belichick overrated? Post-Brady, 7-9,10-7,8-9,0-2
i think belichick has lost his edge...its different. been at it for 30 years.

belichick is a pure winner...great coach...he went to the playoffs with the browns. did well at every stop.

if Kerr wins anything without steph, I will change my assessment of him.

for now, he's very overrated...and i would certainly choose another coach for the 2024 US basketball team

i think belichick has lost his edge...its different. been at it for 30 years.

belichick is a pure winner...great coach...he went to the playoffs with the browns. did well at every stop.

if Kerr wins anything without steph, I will change my assessment of him.

for now, he's very overrated...and i would certainly choose another coach for the 2024 US basketball team
I wouldn’t say Belichick did well at every stop. He had a losing record in Cleveland and only made playoffs 1 out of 5 seasons.

I wouldn’t say Belichick did well at every stop. He had a losing record in Cleveland and only made playoffs 1 out of 5 seasons.
but it's cleveland lol

look what they've done since

doing that in cle is equivalent to 2 or 3 super bowls elsewhere

but it's cleveland lol

look what they've done since

doing that in cle is equivalent to 2 or 3 super bowls elsewhere
Ha. Yeah the Cleveland Browns have not had a a strong history of success. However they did make playoffs in 5 out of 6 seasons before Belichick got there. Point is Belichick didn't do anything special in his time in Cleveland.