Class of 2023 - OT/DT Naquil Betrand (PA / MD) Portal from Texas A&M to Bama | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 OT/DT Naquil Betrand (PA / MD) Portal from Texas A&M to Bama

This already has kind of happened -- with that Ohio State QB who was the generational prospect who graduated early / reclassified to go to OSU, allegedly got $1M in NIL money, and then left after the fall semester to transfer back home to UT.

One of the boosters who gave the kid a lot of money bit<hed about wanting it back, but what recourse does he have? The booster is the dipshiz who gave the kid the money -- so too bad for him.
Recourse- Zip, zero, nada

NIL does not constitute an employment contract.
Like I said, “perception.” But, I’m concerned about this progressing further. You know there’s an attorney out there who’d like to make some waves. And, the people with the deep pockets can afford those types of attorneys…not the athletes. Do you think the NCAA will step in and defend the student-athletes? The answer is only yes if THEY can make a buck. And so it continues…

It'll be interesting to see what happens in the future with regards to earning money and playing time. I can definitely see kids getting paid and then not working hard, because why. Pretty common and easy to get lazy and kids are too short sighted.

I hate the idea of using money to entice recruits who've never had to work for it and earn it on the field. Wouldn't hurt to see an NIL stipulation the that you have to be in school a full year before you can earn any NIL money.
NIL as enticement to play is strictly prohibited. And it seems to me that A$M is clearly breaking rules ...and getting away scott free

Like I said, “perception.” But, I’m concerned about this progressing further. You know there’s an attorney out there who’d like to make some waves. And, the people with the deep pockets can afford those types of attorneys…not the athletes. Do you think the NCAA will step in and defend the student-athletes? The answer is only yes if THEY can make a buck. And so it continues…
There’s no theory that this is a contractural arrangement that binds a player to a school. The school is a third party beneficiary of the grift. The only obligation for the player to perform the services associated with the funds, if that is the nature of the arrangement. Some of these seem to be closer to gifts.

There’s no theory that this is a contractural arrangement that binds a player to a school. The school is a third party beneficiary of the grift. The only obligation for the player to perform the services associated with the funds, if that is the nature of the arrangement. Some of these seem to be closer to gifts.
I didn’t say there was anything contractual. I said perception. But there is little doubt that there is a certain quid pro quo at play here. It is also similar to a charitable donation, and there are legalities involved there. But, I am NOT saying it IS a charitable donation…just that there are similarities.

I am not making a legal argument (I’m not a lawyer). I’m just espousing an opinion on a forum.

Yeah but Saban can go to Hell, and I'll see him there.

The guy can't handle anyone having an advantage he enjoys. He's a coward.
Putting the Saban thing aside, he wasn’t wrong though in a Vacuum. They are buying recruits.

But, they were probably always buying recruits and now it’s just out in the open because it can be.

Ehhh because they are paying for their “name, image and likeness”

They are not paying for them to go to a certain school.

If a lawyer takes out a lawsuit for a kid bolting, it would mean that they were paying the kid to go to that school which is technically not allowed (aware that this is occurring but it’s not supposed to be.) So ultimately I think they would lose this lawsuit

Ehhh because they are paying for their “name, image and likeness”

They are not paying for them to go to a certain school.

If a lawyer takes out a lawsuit for a kid bolting, it would mean that they were paying the kid to go to that school which is technically not allowed (aware that this is occurring but it’s not supposed to be.) So ultimately I think they would lose this lawsuit
But wouldn't there response then be that they were paying for his name image and likeness while attending this specific school. Their local business is not helped by his name image and likeness if he is now attending another school.

Recourse- Zip, zero, nada

if there is a contract and the contract provides for certain obligations and the obligations are breached, then there could be recourse but that’d be a bad look.

if there is a contract and the contract provides for certain obligations and the obligations are breached, then there could be recourse but that’d be a bad look.
If the player didn’t repudiate whatever obligations, autographs, appearances, car commercials…… then he’s not in breach.

then it would be up to the booster to have the player that went to another program perform those services

If the player didn’t repudiate whatever obligations, autographs, appearances, car commercials…… then he’s not in breach.

then it would be up to the booster to have the player that went to another program perform those services

Its all in what the words of the contract say. Someone above does make a good point though that you have to thread the needle of not paying the kid to go to a particular school, or at least have a credible argument you aren’t. I suppose that could be an impossible needle to thread.

NIL agreements are/should be contracts. If either side breaches the contract they could be sued for damages.

The schools are not a party to the contract.

Making payment upon attendance/performance at a certain school is not enforceable per my understanding.

However, with the amount of money involved, a good contract attorney could make it impossible for an athlete to complete his community based obligations if he has transferred to another school thus rendering the payment side of the contract unenforceable by the player.

Also, I highly doubt any collective is providing a full lump sum payment at the beginning of a deal signed by the athlete. The people running these collectives and their team of lawyers will make certain that payments are provided only to current student athletes at their institution without ever putting that direct language in the contract. Its not that difficult actually.

NIL agreements are/should be contracts. If either side breaches the contract they could be sued for damages.

The schools are not a party to the contract.

Making payment upon attendance/performance at a certain school is not enforceable per my understanding.

However, with the amount of money involved, a good contract attorney could make it impossible for an athlete to complete his community based obligations if he has transferred to another school thus rendering the payment side of the contract unenforceable by the player.

Also, I highly doubt any collective is providing a full lump sum payment at the beginning of a deal signed by the athlete. The people running these collectives and their team of lawyers will make certain that payments are provided only to current student athletes at their institution without ever putting that direct language in the contract. Its not that difficult actually.

Most of this is correct or close to being correct, but your statement that a provision making performance contingent upon attendance being unenforceable is incorrect. Such a provision could be enforced. The problem is it might be an NCAA violation. However, I don’t see why a provision violating a regulation or rule of a private company would be unenforceable from a contract law perspective.

The practical reality is it would not be a good look if a booster sued a student athlete for violating an endorsement agreement.

Last edited:
SEC Commits Naquil Betrand, Will Norman Visiting Syracuse For Louisville Game

" Texas A&M offensive line commit Naquil Betrand and Florida defensive line commit Will Norman are on campus for the visit. They will be in attendance Saturday night when the Orange faces the Cardinals to kick off the 2022 season."

Not sure Will Norman has been mentioned anywhere here before...

"Norman is currently at IMG Academy after previously starring for Woodrow Wilson High in New Jersey. He committed to Florida in August over Arizona State, Auburn, Boston College, Cincinnati, Florida State, Kentucky, LSU, Maryland, Michigan, Michigan State, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Penn State, Rutgers, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Virginia and West Virginia, among others. Norman is listed at 6-5, 290 pounds and is considered one of the best defensive linemen in the class. "

" Texas A&M offensive line commit Naquil Betrand and Florida defensive line commit Will Norman are on campus for the visit. They will be in attendance Saturday night when the Orange faces the Cardinals to kick off the 2022 season."

"Norman is currently at IMG Academy after previously starring for Woodrow Wilson High in New Jersey. He committed to Florida in August over Arizona State, Auburn, Boston College, Cincinnati, Florida State, Kentucky, LSU, Maryland, Michigan, Michigan State, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Penn State, Rutgers, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Virginia and West Virginia, among others. Norman is listed at 6-5, 290 pounds and is considered one of the best defensive linemen in the class. "
What’s even better was Norman was live in the Dome watching us throttle the Ville and not part of the atmosphere in Gainesville for the upset of Utah.

Odd thing with Norman is that he isn't on the IMG roster...not at least that I could find.

Somebody on here wrote 'We'll catch up with him in the portal', and I think they're correct.

Going to one of these $EC factories is a huge (lack of) culture shock. If he doesn't shine right away, Fisher will simply go 'Next!'

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom