Class of 2023 - OT/DT Naquil Betrand (PA / MD) Portal from Texas A&M to Bama | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 OT/DT Naquil Betrand (PA / MD) Portal from Texas A&M to Bama

I am seeing academic casualties in both football and basketball for the first time in a few years. COVID exemptions over? Online learning was a joke. My kid did nothing and made honor roll. I wonder if this is a trend or an anomaly?

If he didn’t have the grades for TAMU to take him he’s got a mighty big academic hill to climb this school year to get into the Cuse

You would be surprised that only about 58% of applicants get accepted to TAMU, which is about average. It's not Louisville level. Not that he would be majoring in the area, but their Veterinarian school is considered one of the best vet programs in the world, let alone the country, and one of the most difficult to get into. Plus, they have a top tier agricultural school. It's funny how northerners visualize the south at times.

Do we know for sure that it's grades?

My first thought when seeing his decision to do a prep school year was that maybe ATM slow rolled him. He's a good prospect, but kind of dime a dozen for that level.

You would be surprised that only about 58% of applicants get accepted to TAMU, which is about average. It's not Louisville level. Not that he would be majoring in the area, but their Veterinarian school is considered one of the best vet programs in the world, let alone the country, and one of the most difficult to get into. Plus, they have a top tier agricultural school. It's funny how northerners visualize the south at times.
The Northeast elitism is alive and well.

"only about 58%" (it appears to be 64% according to a quick google search)

Thats not an "only" number. Syracuse is at 59% and that certainly is not something to brag about. That being said, SU's average SAT scores are ~40 points higher per-section than Texas A&M and while schools all tend to have at least 1/2 "elite" programs, overall admission rates is still a far more accurate measure of academic requirements. (For example Newhouse is something like 5% admission, but that doesn't mean Syracuse is only for the most elite students and on par with an Ivy). A student struggling to get into Texas A&M will struggle to get into most programs.

IF the issue is academics, then reclassifying could be a great decision.

Academic casualties seem to be rare in the Syracuse football program. Not only do the coaches do a good job of vetting potential players, but the Syracuse Athletics’ Student-Athlete Academic Development team in the Stevenson Education Center, located in the Manley Field House, also do a great job of working with our student-athletes.

We graduate players and players regularly are recognized for their academic achievements. This past year close to 50 members of the football team were part of the ACC Academic Honor Roll.

If the coaches think this young man can be successful at Syracuse, both in the classroom and on the field, then I hope we keep recruiting him. Naquil Betrand would be one of the highest rated offensive linemen signed by Syracuse in a while (excluding Enrique Cruz who was a 4* in 2021).

It would be ideal if we can sign him and he could enroll early and be in the program for spring 2024.

It’s
It’s true. I admit I have a bias towards southern schools and often assume they are not as good as Northern schools.
It’s just y’all talk so slow down there idk how you get anything done.

It’s

It’s true. I admit I have a bias towards southern schools and often assume they are not as good as Northern schools.
It’s just y’all talk so slow down there idk how you get anything done.
Duke Vandy W&M Rice WF UVA UNC GT would like a word

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom