Class of 2015 - OT: Duke Absolutely Killing the Recruiting Game | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 OT: Duke Absolutely Killing the Recruiting Game

anomander

Living Legend
What the hell is going on down in Durham? They just picked up another mid 4 star recruit from California, this one an OLB. 3 of their top recruits are all from California, and have a total of 6 different recruits who were given 4 stars by at least 1 of the services, all with huge offer sheets. Currently they have a consensus top 20 class. Pretty amazing what Cutcliffe is doing down there.

Maybe they thought they were getting a Duke basketball scholarship? :noidea:

I hope other teams fans start asking this question about us soon!

We need a 9 win season. Also, the maryland, duke and ul games at home are HUGE there will be recruits at the games and we need to establish our dominance, yes god damn dominance.

What the hell is going on down in Durham? They just picked up another mid 4 star recruit from California, this one an OLB. 3 of their top recruits are all from California, and have a total of 6 different recruits who were given 4 stars by at least 1 of the services, all with huge offer sheets. Currently they have a consensus top 20 class. Pretty amazing what Cutcliffe is doing down there.

I think the Manning factor certainly helps...I'm assuming that their coaches play that up when recruits are on campus.

Poor guys gotta come through the loud house

That is a bit much. They have not had the success that Stanford has had in football.
But they're now pulling kids that would've probably gone to Stanford in the past. Maybe because Stanford has moved to a higher level and Duke is another school that fits the profile, as there aren't many P5 schools that also offer an Ivy-comparable education. Just by showing somewhat of an interest in being competitive in football, Duke suddenly became a place for those kids to consider.

There is no reason why Duke cannot recruit on par with Stanford and Northwestern. i wonder if SU's falling status with US News & World Report has hurt recruiting? It's tough to sell kids on elite education when a fairly obvious barometer has SU on par with schools like like Clemson and Maryland. I get that those rankings are a highly flawed way of grading the academic qualities of an institution, particular as far as undergraduate education goes, but it is an obvious comparison point that is well-estabilished.

That is a bit much. They have not had the success that Stanford has had in football.
Stanford's football success is a very recent phenomenon. From 2000 - 2010 they were a below 500 program posting a W-L record of 59 - 70.

Harbaugh compiled a 29 -21 W/L record over the course of his fours years, but more importantly, his teams showed steady improvement:
2007 4-8
2008 5-7
2009 8-5
2010 12-1 with a Rose bowl victory

Hopefully HCSS and staff can chart a similar trajectory.

But they're now pulling kids that would've probably gone to Stanford in the past. Maybe because Stanford has moved to a higher level and Duke is another school that fits the profile, as there aren't many P5 schools that also offer an Ivy-comparable education. Just by showing somewhat of an interest in being competitive in football, Duke suddenly became a place for those kids to consider.

Totally agree with this quote

Stanford's football success is a very recent phenomenon. From 2000 - 2010 they were a below 500 program posting a W-L record of 59 - 70.

Harbaugh compiled a 29 -21 W/L record over the course of his fours years, but more importantl in 1891y, his teams showed steady improvement:
2007 4-8
2008 5-7
2009 8-5

Stanford has a better history in football.

Duke has an overall record of 474-493-31 (.413). They started playing in 1888.
Stanford has an overall record of 605-440-49 (.575). They started in 1891.

Bowl games

Duke 10
Stanford 25

I get the comparison but Duke is not Stanford of the east! This may be the start of something for them but it's like comparing Rutgers to Syracuse.

Duke Football = Stanford of The East.
james-harvardrep.jpg

I think SUfanNC is trying to say Duke is using the same formula as Stanford. Those academic schools have to recruit nationally and thats what Duke is doing. They are doing what they are suppose to do, building of their success and keeping their feet on the gas.

I understand your viewpoint. I'm just trying to push the ACC envelope and get people to look at the league in a new light , but I do think DUKE is for real.

maybe they are doing what Michigan did to Marquis Walker from Henninger. They told his mother that Ann Arbor was only a few hours by car from Syracuse

If you think Duke is killing it, you should see what Baylor is doing. Their 2016 class is ridiculous. 2015 is pretty good too.

If you think Duke is killing it, you should see what Baylor is doing. Their 2016 class is ridiculous. 2015 is pretty good too.
Just do away with the damn divisions, already!

Ub has the pleasure of hosting baylor at home this year. Ill be in attendance. :(couchburn

Stanford has a better history in football.

Duke has an overall record of 474-493-31 (.413). They started playing in 1888.
Stanford has an overall record of 605-440-49 (.575). They started in 1891.

Bowl games

Duke 10
Stanford 25

I get the comparison but Duke is not Stanford of the east! This may be the start of something for them but it's like comparing Rutgers to Syracuse.

Going way back, I would guess that Duke has had a much tougher schedule than Stanford. Simply because they are on the East coast, with a lot more/better football teams.

Also, think of this, their division is cowplop in comparison.

Harbaugh compiled a 29 -21 W/L record over the course of his fours years, but more importantly, his teams showed steady improvement:
2007 4-8
2008 5-7
2009 8-5

I was about to post something similar. I believe they had a 1 win season the same year, or year before we did. They have had recent success, but that's about it.

I'm not complaining, but Duke does get lucky not having to get beat up by FSU and Clemson each year. Personally I enjoy having those 2 on the schedule, plus I think it's a good recruiting tool. Duke also almost annually plays a Rutgersess non-conference schedule so they pad their record even further.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom