OT: Former Illini player goes off on Beckman | Syracusefan.com

OT: Former Illini player goes off on Beckman

I was just going to post this. I know we compete against Illinois for some recruits so this could be really interesting to follow.

This is what happens when your struggling to save your 1.6m salary.

This one bothered me:

"Toby Harkins worked for months as our head trainer and was not a licensed medical professional in the state of Illinois. He was fired".

As well as this one:

"Teammate @KennyKnight was attacked by @coachbeckman in the fall of 2013 at practice and his interview w about it @TaylorRooks was covered".

But overall he is putting it all out there. I am actually glad that he is.

I know that this is going on in several schools, but I actually applaud this kid for doing this. There are a bunch of tweets that make you cringe.

If I was an investigative reporter, I would interview some of Beckman's former players at Toledo.

As an aside, it's interesting to look at Beckman's record:

2012: 2-10 (0-8)
2013: 4-8 (1-7)
2014: 6-7 (3-5)
Overall at UI: 12-25 (4-20)

I guess you could call it progress, but the Illini have obviously "improved" using the Rutgers model of scheduling weak OOC opponents (which last season included 1-AA Youngstown State, Western Kentucky, Washington, and Texas State).

Last edited:
Beckman sounds like an awful person.

Just as disturbing for Illini fans, their 5th your senior and rep at B1G Media Day appears to write at a 5th grade level. I think I am being generous with that evaluation...

I think Beckman is a big-time football coach (not a good one, but a typical one in terms of demeanor and attitude). I would have zero doubt that if there weren't implications for it, there would be at least a handful of kids on every Power 5 roster who feel similarly used by the coaching staff. I get that this is painting coaches with a broad brush but this is a zero sum game and I long ago stopped believing that it brings out the best in these guys.

Edit: Having said that, by the way, I think this is a really immature and not terribly meaningful way for this kid to get his message out there. Discuss this face-to-face with Beckman first, if that doesn't get any answers, write an informed op-ed, start a campaign to end this type of behavior. A bunch of twitter posts like this create a wave of excitement for a few days and then it just becomes more noise.

If I was an investigative reporter, I would interview some of Beckman's former players at Toledo.

As an aside, it's interesting to look at Beckman's record:

2012: 2-10 (0-8)
2013: 4-8 (1-7)
2014: 6-7 (3-5)
Overall at UI: 12-25 (4-20)

I guess you could call it progress, but the Illini have obviously "improved" using the Rutgers model of scheduling weak OOC opponents (which last season included 1-AA Youngstown State, Western Kentucky, Washington, and Texas State).
Saw that a Toledo kicker came forward and said he saw similar actions from the staff.

I get to see Illinois play a lot out here in the land of Lincoln. The team may have had a better record last year but they are still lousy and Beckman is an arrogant pr**k. The accusations do not shock me.