OT - Frank Martin leaves Kansas St for South Carolina | Syracusefan.com

OT - Frank Martin leaves Kansas St for South Carolina

jncuse

I brought the Cocaine to the White House
Seens like a purely lateral move done for $$.

Martin's insane intensity is probably a good thing for a lower to mid level BCS programs seeking exposure, but I think it probably holds him back from ever leading any schools of higher prestige.

I think that explains the overemotional postgame.

Strange move IMO. USC couldn't care less about their basketball team.

Seens like a purely lateral move done for $$.

Martin's insane intensity is probably a good thing for a lower to mid level BCS programs seeking exposure, but I think it probably holds him back from ever leading any schools of higher prestige.

Is that due to KSU's roster? They've dropped off pretty significantly from where they were a few years ago. Off the top of my head, I'm not familiar with their incoming recruiting class, but it isn't hard to see them [on paper] declining, losing a couple of key seniors this offseason.

South Carolina? Really?

They must have drove a dump truck full of cash up his driveway.

i thought he would wait for better job. South Carolina isnt exactly an sec powerhouse

I was overcomplimentary of South Carolina when I said it was a lateral move.

I know SEC basketball is not SEC football, but its a school that has shown a willingness to pay coaches to come to a lower profile job... i.e. Holtz, Spurrier.

wow... what a shady move for him to go on cbs.

greg gumble: "would you like to put these rumors to rest that you are going to sc?"
frank martin: "i dont where these things get started. i read a blog that i have a press conference in sc in 20 min. may be tough to get there"
greg gumbel: "where are you going after the game?"
frank martin: "wherever my wife takes me"

Didn't realize he had addressed those questions on CBS. I must have been too busy typing about the refs.

Surprising move. Don't really know the story at KSU but it seems a better chance to have some success than S Carolina.

Didn't realize he had addressed those questions on CBS. I must have been too busy typing about the refs.

honestly this weekend was a complete blur to me - but i believe he was on the saturday preshow. gumbel asked up straight up as soon as the show started.

Columbia SC is like the AIDS capitol of the world or something. I was sent there TDY and they briefed us for about an hour about STD's

These next few weeks with the coaches meetings (and employment interviews etc) st the Final 4 , should be interesting. Usually plenty of coaches with resumes in hand.

The SEC is bad, but the SEC east division isn't terrible. at South Carolina he'll play UK, UF, and Vandy twice a year

greg gumble: "would you like to put these rumors to rest that you are going to sc?"
frank martin: "i dont where these things get started. i read a blog that i have a press conference in sc in 20 min. may be tough to get there"
After seeing that exchange I said to my buddy "he's gone". He never flat out denied it, never professed his love and committment to KSU and Gumbel didn't press him. He was no Shaka Smart who strongly denied he was going to Ilinois and plainly stated that he loves VCU and is very happy there.

I was overcomplimentary of South Carolina when I said it was a lateral move.

I know SEC basketball is not SEC football, but its a school that has shown a willingness to pay coaches to come to a lower profile job... i.e. Holtz, Spurrier.
You do realize South Carolina has a little basketball history, don't you? It's not like he took the Northwestern job.

I like the move. KSU has had a little bit of recent success under Martin, but not really any great programmatic success and they will always be KU's bitch in basketball.

South Carolina on the other hand, doesn't have to play second fiddle to anyone else in state, is in the most stable conference situation possible and should have a great deal of SEC football money to help their program along.

New Big 12 only has 10 programs...will there be further poaching or will the Big 12 get back to 12 schools and survive? Big 12 is betting on Texas, if they find a better situation that conference is toast.

The basketball conference will be a little bit thin after Kansas and Texas - with Missouri leaving. Is Baylor a one roster wonder, or are they around for a second or third recruiting class?

West Virginia, TCU, Iowa State, Oklahoma State, Oklahoma, Texas Tech, Kansas State, Baylor. There are the makings for some good programs there, but I could just as easily see a bunch of those programs ride off into oblivion.

South Carolina evidently.

At USC he can recruit his homeland in the southeast, in Florida. Smart by SC