OT: Game experience at Pauley Pavilion | Syracusefan.com

OT: Game experience at Pauley Pavilion

Vorony

2nd String
Hello folks,

I've been in Los Angeles for business the past few weeks, and decided to take in a UCLA game tonight at the legendary Pauley Pavilion. Very cool arena, especially after it went through a major renovation a couple years ago. Was a great experience being in the house of John Wooden. Just some takeaways that I had while comparing the experience to a game at the Dome:

1) While I love the Dome because of the amount of people that it can hold, a lot can be said for a "basketball only" arena. Seats are obviously closer to the court, and it's nice to have ACTUAL seats instead of a bench. I think the smaller atmosphere contributes to the crowd being way more into the game.

2) Speaking of crowd - not many actual butts in the seats tonight... maybe 10,000-15,000. But they were LOUD. You can hear a pin drop in the Dome at times. The crowd out here stayed loud through most of the game. Even while UCLA had a substantial lead.

3) Students - I'm sorry, but the UCLA student section puts ours to shame. I know a lot of discussion has been had on this board regarding our dwindling student section, so this just adds fuel to that fire. But these students packed the place. They're on the sidelines, they're behind the hoop, they're up in the rafters. Just an awesome turnout. Lots of creative chants throughout the game. At the start of the 2nd half, the student section behind the basket was handed long blue and yellow balloons to distract the USC free throw shooters. Which brings me to my next point...

4) Why do we have our opponents shoot towards the student section in the 1st half? Besides Towel Guy, the other section behind the hoop gives us ZERO home court advantage in the 2nd half of games. Doesn't it make more sense for our opponents to shoot towards the students in the 2nd half?

5) The game experience - Again, I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but our gameday experience is just dreadful compared to other colleges. I truly felt like I was attending a college game tonight. The UCLA band played during nearly every timeout. The annoying sponsorship ads were minimal and actually had a purpose - they sponsored contests instead (for example, a car dealership sponsored a contest where a fan would win a BMW if they sunk a half court shot). It wasn't Mr. Excitement reading a canned advertisement message at every break in the action. There was always something going on to keep the crowd in it. And it worked. The contests also involved mostly students... another incentive for them to attend games.

Overall, I had a great time. I know it sounds like I'm being harsh on the Syracuse experience, but I've been in the camp that thinks it needs to be revamped. UCLA clearly makes it known that they're trying to appeal to the fans. Syracuse makes it clear that it's focused on sponsorships. Nothing beats the Dome when 30,000+ are packed in there, but that only happens a couple times a year. The other 18 games need a refresher.

I'm curious to know others' thoughts on this...

We don't have any choice of baskets at home. The visiting team picks the basket at which they shoot.

2) Speaking of crowd - not many actual butts in the seats tonight... maybe 10,000-15,000.

Capacity of Pauley Pavilion is 13,800, so 15K would be quite the crowd!

I attended our game at Pauley in February of 1999, when we got smoked by Baron Davis and the Bruins by 20 +/-. Highlight of the visit was getting to meet and shake hands with the Wizard of Westwood, which was nice. After the game, I stayed for a week or so helping OJ search for the real killers of Nicole and Ron.

I attended our game at Pauley in February of 1999, when we got smoked by Baron Davis and the Bruins by 20 +/-. Highlight of the visit was getting to meet and shake hands with the Wizard of Westwood, which was nice. After the game, I stayed for a week or so helping OJ search for the real killers of Nicole and Ron.
Any progress?

bl-orangeglove-400.jpg

Hello folks,

I've been in Los Angeles for business the past few weeks, and decided to take in a UCLA game tonight at the legendary Pauley Pavilion. Very cool arena, especially after it went through a major renovation a couple years ago. Was a great experience being in the house of John Wooden. Just some takeaways that I had while comparing the experience to a game at the Dome:

1) While I love the Dome because of the amount of people that it can hold, a lot can be said for a "basketball only" arena. Seats are obviously closer to the court, and it's nice to have ACTUAL seats instead of a bench. I think the smaller atmosphere contributes to the crowd being way more into the game.

2) Speaking of crowd - not many actual butts in the seats tonight... maybe 10,000-15,000. But they were LOUD. You can hear a pin drop in the Dome at times. The crowd out here stayed loud through most of the game. Even while UCLA had a substantial lead.

3) Students - I'm sorry, but the UCLA student section puts ours to shame. I know a lot of discussion has been had on this board regarding our dwindling student section, so this just adds fuel to that fire. But these students packed the place. They're on the sidelines, they're behind the hoop, they're up in the rafters. Just an awesome turnout. Lots of creative chants throughout the game. At the start of the 2nd half, the student section behind the basket was handed long blue and yellow balloons to distract the USC free throw shooters. Which brings me to my next point...

4) Why do we have our opponents shoot towards the student section in the 1st half? Besides Towel Guy, the other section behind the hoop gives us ZERO home court advantage in the 2nd half of games. Doesn't it make more sense for our opponents to shoot towards the students in the 2nd half?

5) The game experience - Again, I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but our gameday experience is just dreadful compared to other colleges. I truly felt like I was attending a college game tonight. The UCLA band played during nearly every timeout. The annoying sponsorship ads were minimal and actually had a purpose - they sponsored contests instead (for example, a car dealership sponsored a contest where a fan would win a BMW if they sunk a half court shot). It wasn't Mr. Excitement reading a canned advertisement message at every break in the action. There was always something going on to keep the crowd in it. And it worked. The contests also involved mostly students... another incentive for them to attend games.

Overall, I had a great time. I know it sounds like I'm being harsh on the Syracuse experience, but I've been in the camp that thinks it needs to be revamped. UCLA clearly makes it known that they're trying to appeal to the fans. Syracuse makes it clear that it's focused on sponsorships. Nothing beats the Dome when 30,000+ are packed in there, but that only happens a couple times a year. The other 18 games need a refresher.

who did they play? also jealous that you went to that game. beats sitting next to someone who says AYOOOOO all fricken game long right?

Each team shoots at the basket where their bench is located for the second half. There is no choice involved at all.

Upon further review, you are correct. The rule was changed in the 96-97 season to require teams to shoot at the basket farthest from their bench in the first half. Prior to that, the visitors were allowed to choose their basket.

The game atmosphere didn't really translate on TV last night, but we did get to enjoy Bill Walton. We also learned a little tidbit about the SC assistant coaches - did you know they went to college at Syracuse? Small world!

Bill Orange said:

Reminds me of the SNL Weekend Update with Norm MacDonald where he cites the article about Ron Goldman's last words, and Norm says "I know Ron Goldman's last words 'Hey, aren't you OJ Simpson?'l

Hello folks,

I'll be kind and say this is a little unfair. You saw a rivalry game (a cross town rival at that). Even though USC is down, the game was relatively well contested (second half was a draw). Of course the place is going to be jumping.

How was it compared to SU-Duke or SU-Georgetown at the dome? Reading this, I get the distinct sense you are comparing a game atmosphere of two primary rivals going at it in a conference game to Syracuse playing Colgate in December.

UCLA is fighting for a bid. Nobody cares about USC basketball (I'm an alum) since late 90s/early 2000 when they made an Elite 8 run with Trepagnier, Bluthenthal, Scalabrine, Granville, etc. Some Tony Bland and Jason Hart teammates on those SC teams. UCLA cares about Arizona not USC.

It isn't rocket science to see that the atmosphere in The Dome leaves much to be desired when it isn't a 30,000+. The weak student section generally, weak band, location of students, fans distance from court, the fraud a.k.a Mr. Excitement, etc. are known issues and problems discussed here ad nauseum. I went to that rout at Pauley as well with Baron Davis since I was in school then at USC.

They had 10K in there (check the boxscore) Whoop dee damn do.

UCLA is fighting for a bid. Nobody cares about USC basketball (I'm an alum) since late 90s/early 2000 when they made an Elite 8 run with Trepagnier, Bluthenthal, Scalabrine, Granville, etc. Some Tony Bland and Jason Hart teammates on those SC teams. UCLA cares about Arizona not USC.

It isn't rocket science to see that the atmosphere in The Dome leaves much to be desired when it isn't a 30,000+. The weak student section generally, weak band, location of students, fans distance from court, the fraud a.k.a Mr. Excitement, etc. are known issues and problems discussed here ad nauseum. I went to that rout at Pauley as well with Baron Davis since I was in school then at USC.
I think the SSS is damn good.

Hello folks,

So UCLA students go to games, but Syracuse students have SO MUCH TO DO that they can't be bothered or expected to go.

Mom always said, don't put cocoa butter on your crotch after you shave your taint.

Each team shoots at the basket where their bench is located for the second half. There is no choice involved at all.

well, move the student section or the benches then

So UCLA students go to games, but Syracuse students have SO MUCH TO DO that they can't be bothered or expected to go.

UCLA has nearly 30K undergrad students (43K with graduate students) and a 1750 seat student section. Much easier to fill the student section with those numbers and sound loud when you are in a basketball only small gym versus the carrier dome.

I do not understand why this board finds the need to continue to criticize how the Syracuse student body behaves when most of the fan base exhibits all the behavior of a pro sports fan base in terms of support. Lots of talk about how everyone should come out for the Christmas's last game and the attendance was around 25K paid not the 30K people talked about here. That isn't all on the student body who is actually on the campus for academics first and sports second.

But hey let's continue to bash our own students because it makes many here feel better about themselves.

UCLA has nearly 30K undergrad students (43K with graduate students) and a 1750 seat student section. Much easier to fill the student section with those numbers and sound loud when you are in a basketball only small gym versus the carrier dome.

I do not understand why this board finds the need to continue to criticize how the Syracuse student body behaves when most of the fan base exhibits all the behavior of a pro sports fan base in terms of support. Lots of talk about how everyone should come out for the Christmas's last game and the attendance was around 25K paid not the 30K people talked about here. That isn't all on the student body who is actually on the campus for academics first and sports second.

But hey let's continue to bash our own students because it makes many here feel better about themselves.

25K is an insanely big crowd, period. Especially on a weeknight for what is essentially a meaningless game.

If the local fanbase was not incredibly good, they wouldn't have even showed up once the postseason announcement was made. Those games meant nothing and our fans still showed up in huge numbers. Good thing....the consistent 25,000s basically carries the program.

I bash the students because they don't support the program to the level that they should. It's ok...the "townies" will continue to pick up the slack like they have for the last 35 years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom