OT: I am going back next month for 35th reunion | Syracusefan.com

OT: I am going back next month for 35th reunion

mark79

All Conference
Has anyone back been back to the hill for a reunion after 35 or more years? I figure I may be one of the more let me say " experienced" posters on the board that has hat many years since graduation. I've been back many times since '79 of course but I am meeting up with about 10 fraternity brothers that I haven't see in... wait for it... 35 years! Should be fun at homecoming for FSU as well.

Since the board is slow I would love to hear some of our reunion experiences / stories!

My 20th high school reunion was not too long ago, a few years back. A lot of people I was still close with and many more I kept in touch with over the years. It was fairly chill, close buddies already knew my wife, so it was relaxed. One thing I remember is everyone had huge smiles on their faces like they were on vacation to a place they hadn't been to before. Great night, but no specific debauchery to speak of. ;)

I was 10 in 1979. And I think I'm old...

Have fun!

EDIT -

Since you asked for reunion stories - I've never been back for an ESF reunion. Next year will be 20 years out of college, so maybe I will do that. Actually, let's move that into the definite column.

Went to my 10 year HS reunion. Fun to see a bunch of folks again, and glad I'm not significantly heavier than I was in HS and still retain a similar amount of hair. Other than that, nothing truly interesting occurred.

My wife is coming with me as are a few other wives. She is not sure she wants to hear all the stories. Lol. I'm not sure I want her to hear some of them either. I was social chairman and then President of my fraternity so I got lots of stories. She has heard almost all of them a billion times over our 32 years of marriage but there are a few things better left unshared :)

Wow. I remember back when it was 35 years since my graduation. Look for the slightly older lady with short reddish brown hair partying at Faegan's while you are there. LOL. 38 years here. I've been back the past 3-4 years because we have alumni club President meetings that weekend. What frat were you in? have you been back? Lots of us oldie but goodies on here.

Went to my 50th last year. Happily surprised that my freshman roommate was there (whom I had not seen since her wedding in 1964). Compared to what I had heard about 50th reunions at Dartmouth, Princeton, Amherst, etc... the reunion was kind of disappointing (in that the 50th is supposed to be the BIG one, and the school did practically nothing to make it special). But I have been told that SU is trying to improve the reunion experience. It was no big deal for me ... because I am on campus 10-12 times a year for games, meetings, etc. But it was seriously disappointing for those who have not been back there that much.

Last edited:
Wow. I remember back when it was 35 years since my graduation. Look for the slightly older lady with short reddish brown hair partying at Faegan's while you are there. LOL. 38 years here. I've been back the past 3-4 years because we have alumni club President meetings that weekend. What frat were you in? have you been back? Lots of us oldie but goodies on here.

I was a charter member of AEPi that had been as I understand it closed down in the late 60's. A friend of mine who was a legacy recruited me to restart it up and we had a beautiful brand new house in back of haven hall on comstock. Lived there for 2.5 years out of the 4 and loved it. I went back there about 5 or 6 years ago as I always parked there for games and to my dismay it was gone!!! Parking lot...

But I have been told that SU is trying to improve the reunion experience. It was no big deal for me ... because I am on campus 10-12 times a year for games, meetings, etc. But it was seriously disappointing for those who have not been back there that much.

I was back for my 25th and I agree with you Joyce. They could do a lot more to help alums feel special. They actually did have a picture of me from my yearbook on display at the student center which I was surprised to see but they could do SO much more.

Luckily through the wonders of modern social media about 10 of the fraternity members linked up and we all decided we're not getting any younger and that we need to do this!

I was a charter member of AEPi that had been as I understand it closed down in the late 60's. A friend of mine who was a legacy recruited me to restart it up and we had a beautiful brand new house in back of haven hall on comstock. Lived there for 2.5 years out of the 4 and loved it. I went back there about 5 or 6 years ago as I always parked there for games and to my dismay it was gone!!! Parking lot...
I was AEPhi. I think originally they were like brother and sister frats/sororities many years ago. I mostly joined so I could park my car there after breaking my leg freshman year. I lived in Shaw and it was next door. My parents told me I could bring my car if I could find parking. I found it. Two years later I was President of the sorority.

They just had my 20 year high school reunion in the Atlanta area. I couldn't make it back from Kansas. We had over 300 in our class and 30 came to the reunion. I felt bad for the organizers.

They just had my 20 year high school reunion in the Atlanta area. I couldn't make it back from Kansas. We had over 300 in our class and 30 came to the reunion. I felt bad for the organizers.
That's weak man, sorry to hear it. Mine was a decent turnout, but we did have at least 700 in my senior class.

I was AEPhi. I think originally they were like brother and sister frats/sororities many years ago.

Yes, they were brother and sister when I was on campus too. We did the usual middle of the night raid stuff with them I remember as well as several co-sponsored parties a year.

They probably were not very good organizers. I organized my high school 50th reunion (Pleasantville, NY)... and we had 100 of 129 class members there (and at least 10 other classmates were dead). And classmates literally came from all over the world ... including Europe, western Canada, Mexico and the western USA.. I think that was one of the reasons I was so disappointed in my 50th at SU. It was like SU had not put one-tenth the effort into that I had... And I was a lone person doing all the organizing work, using my home computer and a small, slow home prnter/fax.

Last edited:
I have not been to a SU reunion, am in touch with only my three roommates when I was in London. But my HS classmates got together for a joint 50th birthday party four years ago. Since then we have at least 50 people regularly in touch through multiple Facebook groups, a monthly book club, an annual trip to Club Getaway in Ct. (Think summer camp for adults with tons of booze!), and other trips. The most notable one being in January 2013 when 75 of us went to DC to visit our sister classmate, Supreme Court Justice Elena Kagan. I feel very fortunate to have all these women back in my life, as we celebrate good things and commiserate about the bad. Indeed, we are much closer than we were in HS.

They probably were not very good organizers. I organized my high school 50th reunion (Pleasantville, NY)...

Wow, I lived in Pleasantville NY for a couple of years right after getting married in the early 80's. Used to walk down from my condo with my wife to see a movie at the theatre in the middle of town. It truly was a pleasant town too!

They probably were not very good organizers. I organized my high school 50th reunion (Pleasantville, NY)... and we had 100 of 129 class members there (and at least 10 other classmates were dead). And classmates literally came from all over the world ... including Europe, western Canada, Mexico and the western USA.. I think that was one of the reasons I was so disappointed in my 50th at SU. It was like SU had not put one-tenth the effort into that I had... And I was a lone person doing all the organizing work, using my home computer and a small, slow home prnter/fax.

Went back for 25th last year. On-campus stuff was very disappointing. Best part was dinner at Pascale's post-Clemson.

CTO organized something that was a complete success? Stunner that one. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom