OT- I Stewart. | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

OT- I Stewart.

One time I went to an Orioles games with my uncle in the mid 80s when I was about 9 or 10. John Shelby, Scott McGregor, Don Aase and Storm Davis signed for my brother and I. Pitcher Ken Dixon dissed us. He was out of the majors a year later and is now a very fat man. I can't help but see the connection.

Ken_Dixon_%2835446405675%29_%28cropped%29.jpg

I got dissed by John Candelaria as a kid. Since the guy will forever have photos like this out there, that’s punishment enough. I forgive you, Candy Man...geek.
111952.jpg.cf.jpg

Dan Reeves snubbed me for an autograph at giants training camp as a kid and to this day it still sticks in my craw.
I was about 10 and we were eating at restaurant in Denver when he was head coach. I yelled to my dad about seeing him across the way, he was sitting down eating. I got all excited and got up, my dad almost snatched my neck from the rest of my body. He said you don't ever bother anyone eating. Ok, noted.

One time I went to an Orioles games with my uncle in the mid 80s when I was about 9 or 10. John Shelby, Scott McGregor, Don Aase and Storm Davis signed for my brother and I. Pitcher Ken Dixon dissed us. He was out of the majors a year later and is now a very fat man. I can't help but see the connection.

Ken_Dixon_%2835446405675%29_%28cropped%29.jpg

Storm Davis sucked. I don't care what you say.

Anyway, I have an Uncle who was in Rochester at the time John Shelby was on the Red Wings and he swears up and down he and his wife are the nicest two people in the world of sports. They met the wife (maybe GF...I don't know) first somehow at a game......anyway, I never get the full story because every time he tries to tell it I just start yelling, "T-BONE" whenever he says John's name.

So, I texted him and he says john T-BONE shelby would DEFINITELY have signed an autograph for Isaiah Stewart, even if his kid was playing in a basketball game. Said he probably would have bought him popcorn, and maybe some candy too. Probably had him over to the house even.

I got dissed by John Candelaria as a kid. Since the guy will forever have photos like this out there, that’s punishment enough. I forgive you, Candy Man...geek.
111952.jpg.cf.jpg
For me it was Rod Carew. I have never forgiven him.

Storm Davis sucked. I don't care what you say.

Anyway, I have an Uncle who was in Rochester at the time John Shelby was on the Red Wings and he swears up and down he and his wife are the nicest two people in the world of sports. They met the wife (maybe GF...I don't know) first somehow at a game...anyway, I never get the full story because every time he tries to tell it I just start yelling, "T-BONE" whenever he says John's name.

So, I texted him and he says john T-BONE shelby would DEFINITELY have signed an autograph for Isaiah Stewart, even if his kid was playing in a basketball game. Said he probably would have bought him popcorn, and maybe some candy too. Probably had him over to the house even.
So? So would Jerry Sandusky.

I met him when he was stripping off his sweats in the locker room after practice.

i did not ask him for a photo, thank the lord.

He was not the friendliest person I had ever met.

Cough.
I met Jay Wright at a charity golf outing a few years ago - he was also sans pants. (He was changing in the locker room before the round.) That didn't stop him from walking over, shaking our hands, and thanking us for coming out to support the charity.

Had Isaiah Stewart known this, I bet he would have picked Nova.

Paul Newman lived in my town where he was beloved. He was always friendly and gracious to strangers ... except when they wanted a picture or autograph while he was eating dinner at a restaurant. He would always say: "Not now, I am eating dinner with my family."

Sounds comparable to "I'm watching my kid."
Its unfortunate this happened. I cant imagine being a public figure.

Can someone post that video and send a copy to Goodman when Stewart and his family were at the Boeheim home. I believe it was Isiaghs dads bday. If Isiah was so upset about the picture he sure didn’t show it 5 years later. Such non sense.

Something like that can have a big impact on a kid.
I had the opposite experience.
My mom and I arrived at an event just seconds after the celebrity left...
baseball Hall of Famer Brooks Robinson.
The guy running the event said he'd go and see if he could catch Brooks.
Brooks got out of his car and came back to sign an autograph for some dopey little ten-year-old.
Never forgot that and it gave me a lifetime lesson in how to treat people.

Along those lines...dealing with celebs professionally from time to time...two people I could never even think a bad thought about: B.B. King and Smokey Robinson. Just the best.

JB is a personal hero of mine (as I'm sure for others here as well) and I grew up in CNY idolizing the guy. When a certain very important member of this board asked on my behalf for a picture of me with him after a Sweet 16 game in a hotel lobby a few years back, he said no ("it's too crowded, if I take one picture everyone is going to want one").

I still love and respect JB like crazy, but that stung (he was not with his family). That's the only time I've ever had the chance to shake his hand and meet him, and I felt awful for clearly annoying him. My kids weren't at the game, and they would have been flabbergasted to see me in a picture with him because they love him too. I regret that my only real interaction with the guy was annoying him. I don't think less of him and I understand, but still wish it had gone a different way - I was a 10 year old kid inside getting to meet him in person, but quickly felt old and stupid after.

Will have to check back in on this topic when we meet up with UW in the tourney this year... Whatever tourney that may be :cool:

My first rejection was from Fred Dryer. He was a rookie with the Giants and they had their training camp at Fairfield University in CT at the time. So it must have been around 1968 or 1969.

He was tall, but to a kid he seemed about 10 feet tall.

He was beat up and walking with helmet in hand back to the locker room and said "kid, not now, catch me later."

I wasn't offended. He looked pretty whipped. I always rooted for Freddy regardless.

is that what drove you to become a Cowboys fan?
No I was a cowboys fan long before that but the Giants had training camp at fdu Madison which was very close so we would watch giants training camp and get autographs.

Doesn't sound like a big deal. If you're dealing with people all the time like these guys are as public figures you're going to turn some people off at times. Maybe JB does more than other coaches. Don't know but sort of seems like a convenient excuse from Stewart to me.

It’s not a big deal at all which is weird that JB is lying about his policy. He should just admit he can’t make time for every request. Must be a big deal to him.

My first rejection was from Fred Dryer. He was a rookie with the Giants and they had their training camp at Fairfield University in CT at the time. So it must have been around 1968 or 1969.

He was beat up and walking with helmet in hand back to the locker room and said "kid, not now, catch me later."

I wasn't offended. He looked pretty whipped. I always rooted for Freddy regardless.

Did you watch Hunter?

I was about 10 and we were eating at restaurant in Denver when he was head coach. I yelled to my dad about seeing him across the way, he was sitting down eating. I got all excited and got up, my dad almost snatched my neck from the rest of my body. He said you don't ever bother anyone eating. Ok, noted.
If your eating dinner that's one thing you don't interrupt some one eating. This was after practice all the other players were signing things he just flat out refused lol.

If your eating dinner that's one thing you don't interrupt some one eating. This was after practice all the other players were signing things he just flat out refused lol.

You were wearing a Russell Maryland jersey or something weren’t you?

I ran into George Muresan at a shop in Aruba once. I instinctively said “Hey George!” He responded right away with “no chance boss, no chance.” I never even got the words out to ask for a pic but he knew. Then I moved on happy knowing the story is better than the pic anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom