OT- I Stewart. | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

OT- I Stewart.

Think of all the people you inadvertently snubbed over the years. And how much better your life could have been if you hadn't.
But, if its inadvertent, how could you change it?

I've run into him a bunch of times around town. Never bothered him with anything. Maybe at an official meet and greet, I would. We were at Wegmans one night and he and Juli and the kids (back when Buddy was a wee one) were there at the deli counter. Juli was holding court with whomever wanted to say hi, laughing and smiling, and JAB looked like he was on his way to the gallows pole - which, I totally get. It was interesting to me to see how naturally at ease Juli was with totally random strangers.

"Gallows pole" -- so true, made me laugh! I can't imagine the amount of SU related hoops, recruiting, etc. questions he gets bombarded with. It must annoy the heck out of him, and he instantly tunes out. The last thing he wants to do 99% of the time is talk hoops with random fans.

I know I've shared this story before on this forum, but several years ago one of my best friends from high school did some interior painting at JB's house. It was during the spring or summer, so JB was at home for the 3 days he was on-site.

My friend is one of those guys who likes sports, but only in a casual way. Doesn't really care about any teams, background noise but nothing he gets invested in. Also not a guy who follows basketball beyond just being a Syracuse resident and knowing about it in a general way. But my friend [who is now a successful sales executive] is one of the most personable, friendly guys you'll ever meet -- he's instantly relateable, extroverted [in a good, friendly way -- not over the top], and people just naturally gravitate to him for conversation. He's just a natural when it comes to conversation.

So, at the beginning of the first morning, JB walks in as my friend is starting to work, shakes his hand, and gives him some instructions. They chat for a bit about the project, and JB goes off. About 30 minutes later, JB comes back -- tells my friend that he's just checking things out, not looking over his shoulder, and will leave if he's getting in the way.

My friend tells him, it's no bother, so JB sits down and they start having a conversation... and literally talk for the next 4 hours while he's working. The discussion is all over the place -- a million different topics -- but SU hoops doesn't come up once.

The next day, JB plops down again, and proceeds to chat the day away again while my friend is working. Again, nothing SU / nor basketball related ever comes up.

At the end of the project, my friend says goodbye, packs up, and leaves with a highly favorable impression of the SU basketball coach. Our group of friends couldn't believe that he'd spent all that time with JB, given what a grouch he often seems to be.

What I always found hilarious about the story is that my friend is probably the only guy in Syracuse who wouldn't say SOMETHING about SU hoops to Boeheim. Even if just to acknowledge that he was a fan. If he had, or brought up recruiting, or wanted to talk about that year's team -- there is ZERO doubt in my mind that Boeheim would have politely answered and then gotten the hell out of the room, never to return.

Instead, he spent nearly 2 and a half days chatting it up. Frankly, it was probably refreshing for him not to have to converse about hoops for a change.

But, if its inadvertent, how could you change it?
Unfortunately, you can't. You should probably look over your shoulder periodically too just in case someone holding a grudge is following you.

"Gallows pole" -- so true, made me laugh! I can't imagine the amount of SU related hoops, recruiting, etc. questions he gets bombarded with. It must annoy the heck out of him, and he instantly tunes out. The last thing he wants to do 99% of the time is talk hoops with random fans.

I know I've shared this story before on this forum, but several years ago one of my best friends from high school did some interior painting at JB's house. It was during the spring or summer, so JB was at home for the 3 days he was on-site.

My friend is one of those guys who likes sports, but only in a casual way. Doesn't really care about any teams, background noise but nothing he gets invested in. Also not a guy who follows basketball beyond just being a Syracuse resident and knowing about it in a general way. But my friend [who is now a successful sales executive] is one of the most personable, friendly guys you'll ever meet -- he's instantly relateable, extroverted [in a good, friendly way -- not over the top], and people just naturally gravitate to him for conversation. He's just a natural when it comes to conversation.

So, at the beginning of the first morning, JB walks in as my friend is starting to work, shakes his hand, and gives him some instructions. They chat for a bit about the project, and JB goes off. About 30 minutes later, JB comes back -- tells my friend that he's just checking things out, not looking over his shoulder, and will leave if he's getting in the way.

My friend tells him, it's no bother, so JB sits down and they start having a conversation... and literally talk for the next 4 hours while he's working. The discussion is all over the place -- a million different topics -- but SU hoops doesn't come up once.

The next day, JB plops down again, and proceeds to chat the day away again while my friend is working. Again, nothing SU / nor basketball related ever comes up.

At the end of the project, my friend says goodbye, packs up, and leaves with a highly favorable impression of the SU basketball coach. Our group of friends couldn't believe that he'd spent all that time with JB, given what a grouch he often seems to be.

What I always found hilarious about the story is that my friend is probably the only guy in Syracuse who wouldn't say SOMETHING about SU hoops to Boeheim. Even if just to acknowledge that he was a fan. If he had, or brought up recruiting, or wanted to talk about that year's team -- there is ZERO doubt in my mind that Boeheim would have politely answered and then gotten the hell out of the room, never to return.

Instead, he spent nearly 2 and a half days chatting it up. Frankly, it was probably refreshing for him not to have to converse about hoops for a change.
Great story.

Its amazing how differently they treat you when you don’t fawn over them.

My boss tells a great story about Stephen Tyler from Aerosmith. That’s his all time favorite band by the way. My boss is a cigar aficionado, having worked in a cigar store in his early 20s in St. Louis. Apparently Tyler is a huge cigar fan as well. So one night at a cigar bar my boss was enjoying some McAllan and a cigar and in walks ST. My boss never acknowledged his fan hood, and they ended up sitting and enjoying cigars and scotch for a couple hours, just talking about cigars. One of the highlights of his life.

Great story.

Its amazing how differently they treat you when you don’t fawn over them.

My boss tells a great story about Stephen Tyler from Aerosmith. That’s his all time favorite band by the way. My boss is a cigar aficionado, having worked in a cigar store in his early 20s in St. Louis. Apparently Tyler is a huge cigar fan as well. So one night at a cigar bar my boss was enjoying some McAllan and a cigar and in walks ST. My boss never acknowledged his fan hood, and they ended up sitting and enjoying cigars and scotch for a couple hours, just talking about cigars. One of the highlights of his life.

Think I remember Steven Tyler smoking a cigar in Get Shorty 2 (Be Cool)

Last edited:
I think something far more sinister is afoot here. Look at JB’s words. He was there watching Thomas Bryant. I’ll bet you he knew exactly who Stewart was but didn’t want Bryant seeing him talking to his eventual replacement.
tenor.gif

There a time and place. Family time/personal time should be off limits. I have no problem with JB doing it if he’s with family etc...and definitely have no problem with it if he told Stewart after the game he would take a pic just not during the game.

Soft by Stewart

There a time and place. Family time/personal time should be off limits. I have no problem with JB doing it if he’s with family etc...and definitely have no problem with it if he told Stewart after the game he would take a pic just not during the game.

Soft by Stewart

Public event! Ain't no family time at a basketball game!! You want family time you go to the Ponderosa.

We all bought tickets! Except JB, he probably gets in free because he's a celebrity. :)

Family time is for the house! If Stewart came to his house and asked for an autograph, that would be off limits. I agree with that.

One of the nicest guys I've ever met, Oj Simpsons. Not even kidding. 2017 Moondoggies bar in Vegas.
Funny enough I came here to say that OJ Simpson was the rudest celebrity I ever met. My mom worked the Atlanta '96 Olympics so we had a lot of tickets to private events. I saw him and ran over to get an autograph from him. His response was to yell at me and put his hand flat against my head and push me out of the way. I was 12 at the time.

On the flip side, one of the nicest people I ever met was Chris Benoit and you know how tragic his situation ended up being.

Public event! Ain't no family time at a basketball game!! You want family time you go to the Ponderosa.

We all bought tickets! Except JB, he probably gets in free because he's a celebrity. :)

Family time is for the house! If Stewart came to his house and asked for an autograph, that would be off limits. I agree with that.
Not sure if this is serious but the guy was watching his own child play. He was probably there in no other capacity other than being a father at his son's game. Bother him at halftime or before/after the game but not during.

Not sure if this is serious but the guy was watching his own child play. He was probably there in no other capacity other than being a father at his son's game. Bother him at halftime or before/after the game but not during.
JB himself said he was there to watch Thomas Bryant.

and ghost is always serious.

I thought Stewart said himself that Jimmy was there to watch his son?
JB was asked about during the radio show. It’s in the other thread

A few weeks ago I was walking into Empower in Fayetteville more or less alongside Babers. I didn't say anything to him and got on with my day. I could tell he was super upset I didn't ask for a picture or autograph.

I run into JB quite often just bombing around town. While he's clearly not an outgoing type A guy, I've never seen him act rude or mean to anyone. Funniest story I have about him is I was walking into a restaurant that he frequents to pick up an order. He pulls up right next to the door and starts rushing into the joint, but sees me walking up and stops and holds the door...I just looked at him and was like "gtfooh coach!" and grabbed the door and tapped him to go first. He just chuckled, said thanks, and went in.

I agree we just have to let people be people. Celebrities are people and have to put up some boundaries or they'd go insane. Not to mention there is just no way to possibly meet all the demands for their time. JB turned a kid down in a situation where he had a good reason to put up some boundaries. It wasn't personal or malicious, just bad timing by a kid who didnt know any better.

On the other hand, IS is recalling a memory from his childhood, it's normal to hold onto something like this in a way that is clearly out of balance because the emotional attachment is still that of a young kid. Doesnt make him petty or thin-skinned, it's just something that affected him deeply because he was young. It's normal.

Thomas Bryant is JB's son??? We really didn't do well regarding which son we signed up to play for us!!! :) j/k

I run into JB quite often just bombing around town. While he's clearly not an outgoing type A guy, I've never seen him act rude or mean to anyone. Funniest story I have about him is I was walking into a restaurant that he frequents to pick up an order. He pulls up right next to the door and starts rushing into the joint, but sees me walking up and stops and holds the door...I just looked at him and was like "gtfooh coach!" and grabbed the door and tapped him to go first. He just chuckled, said thanks, and went in.

I agree we just have to let people be people. Celebrities are people and have to put up some boundaries or they'd go insane. Not to mention there is just no way to possibly meet all the demands for their time. JB turned a kid down in a situation where he had a good reason to put up some boundaries. It wasn't personal or malicious, just bad timing by a kid who didnt know any better.

On the other hand, IS is recalling a memory from his childhood, it's normal to hold onto something like this in a way that is clearly out of balance because the emotional attachment is still that of a young kid. Doesnt make him petty or thin-skinned, it's just something that affected him deeply because he was young. It's normal.

JB ain't a boy band. I hardly think the demands are so taxing that you would be nearing the brink of insanity. My GF sees him out eating at some place they go after work at times and nobody bothers him and he's always decked out in SU gear. I mean, at least throw on a fake mustache if you're in hiding!

You said no to the kid, kid hoodwinked you into making a cake for his Dad or something while being recruited...I don't remember what that was on the first couple pages, and then went off to play for Hop. Who cares. I'm not sure the right response is, "I sign every autograph every time foreva!!!"

Anyway, John Candelaria sucks! And this topic is fantastic!

when my son was 14 we were visiting the basketball wing in manley fields house where jb office was. we were just walking around and jb came out of his office. my son asked for an autograph. jb took him into his office gave him an autographed team poster and talked with him for about 10 minutes.
andy, my son, is now 44y/o and remembers this vividly. needless to say andy as well as my daughter (mpa maxwell and jd ) are avid syracuse fans.
we have extensive family in syracuse, and have season football tics and make 1 home hoops game as well as away games if playing in the msg, maryland,rutgers, phila.or any where in the vicinity.

I ran into George Muresan at a shop in Aruba once. I instinctively said “Hey George!” He responded right away with “no chance boss, no chance.” I never even got the words out to ask for a pic but he knew. Then I moved on happy knowing the story is better than the pic anyway.

I ran into the big daddy in Pulaski ny in a tackle shop out of all places. Needless to say no none knew who he was but me. His handler could tell and pulled me to the side and filling me in. Ended up meeting up with him later and he was a really cool guy. Definitely did not want to be bothered and still to this day have no idea how that all transpired.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom