OT - LaTech WBB Coach Impregnates Former Player | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

OT - LaTech WBB Coach Impregnates Former Player

sabach said:
In the Texas A&M Prairie View case, the coach who was fired said

The players’ relationship violated a rule that stipulated: “Players may not have nonprofessional relationships with other players, coaches, managers, trainers, or any other persons affiliated” with the program. The rule, Brown said, was written after an assistant coach was fired for having an inappropriate relationship with a player. The former players have filed a complaint alleging that Brown’s act was based on s e xual orientation and, therefore, violated Title IX.

I can see why people want to make this a "they hate the gays" argument. It's a very successful strategy in today's world. It's just not there in this case.

What's the rational basis behind banning players from having relationships with each other? And how is that in any way related to a player sleeping with a university employee?

A blanket ban on relations with staff members makes sense. A blanket ban on players having relations amongst themselves affects only LGBT student athletes.

What's the rational basis behind banning players from having relationships with each other? And how is that in any way related to a player sleeping with a university employee?
Two words - Team chemistry. I coach a high school girls basketball team and I would rather none of them date anyone during the season, let alone each other. That said, I do not have such a rule on my team but I would not view a coach who did as a bigot against gays and lesbians.

The point about the player sleeping with the university employee was to show that this rule, at least in the Texas A&M Prairie View case, was not implemented with the animus of "keeping the gays away", it was actually implemented in response to a heterosexual relationship of a male coach and female player.

Last edited:
NKR1978 said:
What's the rational basis behind banning players from having relationships with each other? And how is that in any way related to a player sleeping with a university employee? A blanket ban on relations with staff members makes sense. A blanket ban on players having relations amongst themselves affects only LGBT student athletes.

What happens when they break up mid-season? One person doesn't want to pass to the other for an open shot because of this, etc. players on the team taking sides over whatever fight it may have been about. It's stupid and petty, but that kind of thing could absolutely hinder a team. It's best to avoid the potential harm - and it's not because it's "anti-gay."

What happens when they break up mid-season? One person doesn't want to pass to the other for an open shot because of this, etc. players on the team taking sides over whatever fight it may have been about. It's stupid and petty, but that kind of thing could absolutely hinder a team. It's best to avoid the potential harm - and it's not because it's "anti-gay."
See SU basketball 2001-2002 with Preston Shumpert and DeShaun Williams and the rumor of DeShaun impregnating Preston's girlfriend.

‘I wanted to know real bad, but I didn’t want to ask him,’ said Thues, the starting point guard who transferred after the season to the University of Detroit Mercy. ‘There was definitely tension between him and Preston, though. That cost us big time. There would be times in a game where those guys would look each other off, not pass the ball when they would have before.

See SU basketball 2001-2002 with Preston Shumpert and DeShaun Williams and the rumor of DeShaun impregnating Preston's girlfriend.

‘I wanted to know real bad, but I didn’t want to ask him,’ said Thues, the starting point guard who transferred after the season to the University of Detroit Mercy. ‘There was definitely tension between him and Preston, though. That cost us big time. There would be times in a game where those guys would look each other off, not pass the ball when they would have before.

And then somehow Otto the Orange gets punched in the face at a Marshall Street bar!

It started according to sources when he was an assistant at Marquette. When he got the job at Louisiana Tech , she transferred there also. She's a senior now and played this season. Most universities have a morals clause in coach's contracts which can be used as a cause for dismissal. Remember the stories about Bo Ryan after he resigned? Bobby Petrino? Getting a DWI, drugging, verbally abusing players, having affairs that become public etc can all be reasons for termination depending on contract language. Summitt quit instead.

I can imagine having an affair with a player leads to issues of favoritism, coercion - like sleeping with the boss, military affairs between officers, enlisted personnel etc.
There are two Marquette transfers on the La Tech roster. One was born in Nov/'93 = 22 yrs old and the other April/'94 = 22 yrs old. Way too close in age but he definitely should know better. Bad on him.

When I was a new HS teacher and was only 4 or 5 years older than my students, I made sure that I was NEVER in a room alone with a female student unless the door was open. Protects everyone involved.

In the Texas A&M Prairie View case, the coach who was fired said

The players’ relationship violated a rule that stipulated: “Players may not have nonprofessional relationships with other players, coaches, managers, trainers, or any other persons affiliated” with the program. The rule, Brown said, was written after an assistant coach was fired for having an inappropriate relationship with a player. The former players have filed a complaint alleging that Brown’s act was based on s e xual orientation and, therefore, violated Title IX.

I can see why people want to make this a "they hate the gays" argument. It's a very successful strategy in today's world. It's just not there in this case.
I think it makes sense to prohibit relationships between players and coaches. There is a very distinct power difference. I don't think it's fair to do it between players. Yes, this could affect chemistry, but by that logic you wouldn't let them socialize outside of practice or games. Conflicts could arise or some players who were not invited may feel left out.

I also understand that the object isn't to eliminate any disruption of chemistry, merely to minimize it. But banning relationships between players seems like overkill to me.

I think it makes sense to prohibit relationships between players and coaches. There is a very distinct power difference. I don't think it's fair to do it between players. Yes, this could affect chemistry, but by that logic you wouldn't let them socialize outside of practice or games. Conflicts could arise or some players who were not invited may feel left out.

I also understand that the object isn't to eliminate any disruption of chemistry, merely to minimize it. But banning relationships between players seems like overkill to me.
Fair enough and as I said, I do not have such a policy on my team. My point is that if a coach were to implement such a policy it would not necessarily be because they had an animus against same sex relationships and wanted to discriminate against them which ends up costing the coach their job.

If you want to have a blanket ban on all relationships, that's fine, crazy, but fine. I just think it is hard to justify having a ban on something that coincidentally would only impact students of a protected class in New York State and under Title IX(?).

Two words - Team chemistry. I coach a high school girls basketball team and I would rather none of them date anyone during the season, let alone each other. That said, I do not have such a rule on my team but I would not view a coach who did as a bigot against gays and lesbians.

The point about the player sleeping with the university employee was to show that this rule, at least in the Texas A&M Prairie View case, was not implemented with the animus of "keeping the gays away", it was actually implemented in response to a heteros e xual relationship of a male coach and female player.
Not trying to be a smart aleck here, but how do you handle siblings on a team? Do you run into situations where a player complains that "Sarah never passes the ball to me because she always passes it to her sister!!"? Seems that you can have team chemistry issues there too (as well in cases of good friends who have played together a lot, cliques, etc.). And again, I realize that you, in fact, do not have such a rule.
I'm thinking that team chemistry or not, having a rule against player-player relationships is unenforceable & legally dubious. If a relationship is affecting team chemistry & team performance then fine, bench the players.
Just my $0.02 worth...

Not trying to be a smart aleck here, but how do you handle siblings on a team? Do you run into situations where a player complains that "Sarah never passes the ball to me because she always passes it to her sister!!"? Seems that you can have team chemistry issues there too (as well in cases of good friends who have played together a lot, cliques, etc.). And again, I realize that you, in fact, do not have such a rule.
I'm thinking that team chemistry or not, having a rule against player-player relationships is unenforceable & legally dubious. If a relationship is affecting team chemistry & team performance then fine, bench the players.
Just my $0.02 worth...
You have a very good point. All I'm saying is that a rule against relationships is not per se implemented because of bigotry.

Cricket and squash are coed?
The cricket team at Haverford is, indeed, coed, with a mixed team of men and women playing. While squash has separate competitions for each sex, the teams travel together to the same venue for matches which will go on at the same time. The squash association apparently considers that making the sport coed.

What about players who sleep with a teammate's significant other? Hey now!

The cricket team at Haverford is, indeed, coed, with a mixed team of men and women playing. While squash has separate competitions for each s e x, the teams travel together to the same venue for matches which will go on at the same time. The squash association apparently considers that making the sport coed.
What about quidditch?