OT letter to chancellor | Syracusefan.com

OT letter to chancellor

The intent is there. However, the run on sentences and lack of punctuation marks make it hard to take seriously.

Edit: just reread it. The author really comes across as a spoiled little brat. Especially in the last paragraph.

Last edited:
Excellent letter. Thanks for sharing. I have no problems with the punctuation or sentence structure. Unless you have serious ADD; this letter is fine and well written, imo.

The intent is there. However, the run on sentences and lack of punctuation marks make it hard to take seriously.

Edit: just reread it. The author really comes across as a spoiled little brat. Especially in the last paragraph.
I just reread parts of it myself. Seems to me that any college that is highly ranked as a party school is going to take measures and most schools have, even ones not as highly ranked. I'm wondering if the timing of the letter is because they shut down the Castle Court parties or because his two friends got beat up. How to determine that because of Castle Court that it has led to assaults is beyond my imagination. Hopefully the chancellor does read this to justify adding more money to the school's creative writing courses. Maybe a spoiled brat, but also possibly someone who might make excuses for everything in life. Suck it up and start enjoying life before you have to go out into the real world.

I am sure that the chancellor with give this letter all the attention it deserves.

The tone of this letter is too disrespectful and aggressive. A shorter, more diplomatic, more grammatically-correct letter would have been more effective. (No offense)

"As of right now you are on paper the chancellor of Syracuse University, but until you start acting the part in an effective way you will never be my chancellor."

No, see. He is your chancellor.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that the author of this letter is the type of student that wrote an ethnography on Greek life for his sociology paper.

I may be in the minority here but I actually like the new chancellor. Let's face it SU ranking has dropped almost 20 spots in the last six years the law school fell out of the top 100. I really think the Chancellor wants to get us back to where we were and I support it.

strumpfasaurus said:
I may be in the minority here but I actually like the new chancellor. Let's face it SU ranking has dropped almost 20 spots in the last six years the law school fell out of the top 100. I really think the Chancellor wants to get us back to where we were and I support it.

I like him too as does my wife. But the kid has a couple of good points if you ignore the snarkiness.

Wordy and verbose. Needs a writing class. These things are invariably more effective when concise and to the point. Otherwise, sounds like a rant and the good points are lost within the sarcasm.

Wordy and verbose. Needs a writing class. These things are invariably more effective when concise and to the point. Otherwise, sounds like a rant and the good points are lost within the sarcasm.

He doesn't need a writing class. His writing is fine. He could stand to lose the snarky tone and sarcasm perhaps as you guys say, but, I like it. He's passionate about it. So what.

So essentially the message I got from the letter was the school should pay more attention to some of the other accomplishments and stop cracking down on student parties. My experience of college was each student got out of the University exactly what they put into it. There were a lot people who just got C's and partied all the time. And there were people who worked their butts off trying to get the best grades possible.

I think with such a variety of experiences in large university environment like Syracuse University people experience the university in many different ways. It doesn't bother me if people think Syracuse University is a party school. I think what each of us experiences is somewhat dictated by our prejudices. When I was at school, I saw great academic achievements, athletic achievements, social and community achievements, along with extraordinary drinking achievements. My memories of my life in college are just too broad to generalize. All I can really say is those four years were the some of the best years of my life.

He doesn't need a writing class. His writing is fine. He could stand to lose the snarky tone and sarcasm perhaps as you guys say, but, I like it. He's passionate about it. So what.

Nobody pays much attention to rants. If he wanted to get something off his chest that works, but if he actually wanted to accomplish something that is another matter altogether. The writing is terrible.

His writing is not fine.

He is verbose. He mis-uses grammar. He misspells words. And, his arguments lack logical coherence. A competent high school English teacher would give him a "C".

At the very least, he ought to find a decent editor.

Last edited:
My strongest reaction to the letter was the covert racism in it. "Hoodies" has become a code word for "Trayvon Martin." If the alleged assailants were non-student inner-city kids, why not just say it? If you don't want non-students in your neighborhood, live in campus housing... and not out on Euclid Avenue.

temery said:
What is a Rhetorical Studies major?

The study of saying something without saying something.

Open letters espousing the value of partying will fall on deaf ears. The Chancellor's number one task is academics. Plain and simple. He shouldn't have to apologize if the current party culture on campus hinders his ability to reach the goal he was hired for. I guarantee that he cares about the culture of the entire campus - which is far more rich and dynamic than the sub-culture likely represented exclusively in this letter. I don't worry about college students finding a place to party.

who gives a shite what some kid writes this is a basketball forum and I can assure you all college towns are the same. once got caught in a sorority house on the hill, got the shite beat out of me, grow up and be a man letters from you no account wannebes are disgusting, just sayin like it is

who gives a shite what some kid writes this is a basketball forum and I can assure you all college towns are the same. once got caught in a sorority house on the hill, got the shite beat out of me, grow up and be a man letters from you no account wannebes are disgusting, just sayin like it is

Talk about needing some writing classes, lol.

The tailgaiting scene at almost every major university is the castle court party x 25. The new chancellor has the right to run the university anyway he wishes however he must realize this is not Washington U and never will be. Part of the popularity of Syracuse and most major universities is the sports and Social life. The party scene at U of Michigan , University of Florida , USC, Texas Austin, Wisconsin is no different that SU -- and all those schools mentioned are considered better academic schools than SU currently. Public intoxication, fighting cannot not and should not be tolerated but taking innocent fun away from the students is not very smart imo.

I was told that a few students held a sign with a picture of the new chancellor and held it up at the football game and the entire student section went nuts booing.. This is not about 3o spoiled brats that want to party -

ON a side note it will be very interesting to see the first incident involving a star basketball player. I can see the Coach and the Chancellors relationship fall apart quickly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom