OT: Major Applewhite vs. Ed Oliver: sports can be so stupid | Syracusefan.com

OT: Major Applewhite vs. Ed Oliver: sports can be so stupid

OrangeDW

Living Legend
All this over a jacket?? A JACKET?

Major: “He wants to wear a jacket and I don’t want him to wear the jacket. Because I’m so cool and run such an impressive program and I’ve established this super cool culture where if you’re playing you get to wear this stupid ass coat.”

Ed Oliver:”I gave my all to this team, got hurt for this team and all I want to do is be one with this team and wear the jacket? Well, forget that jacket and forget you, I’m going to be making ten times as much money as you ever did, Chris Simms backup!”

Or something like that.
Houston coach, star Oliver's quarrel gets heated

I honestly can't believe what Oliver said, that is something an immature child would say. He could have made his point in a lot of different directions but that one was not one of them.

Coaches have rules to differing reasons. As a player you abide by the rules or suffer consequences. Getting physically upset about a coat shows an utter lack of maturity. My college baseball coach followed the Yankees lead on being clean shaven on game days which I thought was stupid. What the heck does being clean shaven have to do with playing baseball. Its about uniformity, blah blah blah. If you don't like the rules then transfer.

A bit off topic. We all know that Frank Mahoney had a pretty talented group of assistants back in the day and was fired. Are there any of Robinsons other than Applewhite making their mark?

Applewhite seems like the type of coach I would not want to play for.

Applewhite seems like the type of coach I would not want to play for.

Curious how Chance feels about this...he could have been there and was flipped quite late in the recruiting process.

I honestly can't believe what Oliver said, that is something an immature child would say. He could have made his point in a lot of different directions but that one was not one of them.

Wait, what did he say? I was making those original quotes up.

I get that he applied the rule evenly and in that respect Oliver has no reason to complain. But what a stupid rule. "Guys that are playing, stay warm. Guys that aren't, screw you, toughen up."

He really pulled a “you don’t deserve the badge” move on him from a cop movie.

It was spiteful by Applewhite. Didn't think Oliver would have reacted in the manner he did, but I can't say I don't disagree with how he took it. Oliver should just leave school and focus on rehabbing for the Draft.

Honestly IMO its the way Applewhite just pulls it off him that was really over the top. I mean he doesn't even say much he just starts peeling it off like Oliver is a banana. Pretty sure it would have went better if they had a conversation around it.

I wouldn't want anything to do with the student-athlete who reacts that way. What a lunatic.

The coach is a typical idiotic meathead coach. He's wrong. But at least he's wrong in a calm and professional manner.

I believe this isn’t about a jacket, it’s about a coach who thinks his player “could” play, but is choosing not to in order to protect his draft status. Which is fine, but said player can’t then break the rule about wearing a jacket.

I get it.

So, let me get this straight - the coach has a rule, has had a rule all season, has communicated that rule to all of his players, all of his players, assistants, GA's and managers know the rule. Several of the managers even said something to Oliver. Oliver ignores them. He decides to break the rule in front of the team, while other players in his situation follow the rule, and the coach is wrong?

Too much being read into what this is, what this isn't. All I know is the coach runs the team, it's his ass on the line in regards to the team, if he has a rule and it's not followed, then you're the idiot for breaking it. Not the coach. Based on the reaction of many in this thread, it's no wonder so many players are suspended for "Violation of team rules", instead of the specific reason.

If anything, Oliver comes off as a prima-donna who thinks he's above anyone else on the team. And this coming from someone who thought highly of Oliver up to now.

So, let me get this straight - the coach has a rule, has had a rule all season, has communicated that rule to all of his players, all of his players, assistants, GA's and managers know the rule. Several of the managers even said something to Oliver. Oliver ignores them. He decides to break the rule in front of the team, while other players in his situation follow the rule, and the coach is wrong?

Too much being read into what this is, what this isn't. All I know is the coach runs the team, it's his ass on the line in regards to the team, if he has a rule and it's not followed, then you're the idiot for breaking it. Not the coach. Based on the reaction of many in this thread, it's no wonder so many players are suspended for "Violation of team rules", instead of the specific reason.

If anything, Oliver comes off as a prima-donna who thinks he's above anyone else on the team. And this coming from someone who thought highly of Oliver up to now.
You're right. Oliver was acting entitled. Once that is acknowledged, it's a stupid rule.

You're right. Oliver was acting entitled. Once that is acknowledged, it's a stupid rule.

lol, I'm sure coaches have lots of stupid rules.

As a manager myself, I have a rule against my employees having both earbuds in when listening to music at their cube. I don't want to have to touch or tap someone because you never know how they will react to it. But I can tell you most of my staff thinks it's a stupid rule.

lol, I'm sure coaches have lots of stupid rules.

As a manager myself, I have a rule against my employees having both earbuds in when listening to music at their cube. I don't want to have to touch or tap someone because you never know how they will react to it. But I can tell you most of my staff thinks it's a stupid rule.
Your reasoning is sound for your rule. The reasoning Applewhite gave for his was not. You are in a professional work environment where communication is necessary. Wearing or not wearing a jacket will not affect team play. Rules about keeping the benches available to players that are in the game so they can rest when they are out or having your helmet with you at all times are more parrallel to your rule.