OT: Major Applewhite vs. Ed Oliver: sports can be so stupid | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Major Applewhite vs. Ed Oliver: sports can be so stupid

I wouldn't want anything to do with the student-athlete who reacts that way. What a lunatic.

The coach is a typical idiotic meathead coach. He's wrong. But at least he's wrong in a calm and professional manner.

He actually said something afterwards about toughness? As in, he wants the guys that aren’t playing to be tough and not wear a coat? Did I read that right?

Lolsmh.

He actually said something afterwards about toughness? As in, he wants the guys that aren’t playing to be tough and not wear a coat? Did I read that right?

Lolsmh.

We just have a rule on the sideline that guys that are participating in the games, and specifically starters, that they have jackets. You don’t want a thousand guys in a jacket when it’s only 50 degrees outside. You want guys to be tough. Some guys had ‘em early on, and I asked ‘em to take ‘em off. Ed had one, so I asked him to take it off, because I didn’t want to be unfair.

We just have a rule on the sideline that guys that are participating in the games, and specifically starters, that they have jackets. You don’t want a thousand guys in a jacket when it’s only 50 degrees outside. You want guys to be tough. Some guys had ‘em early on, and I asked ‘em to take ‘em off. Ed had one, so I asked him to take it off, because I didn’t want to be unfair.

That’s it! Lol at “be tough”. Tough guys don’t get cold when they’re standing around doing nothing for 4 hours in 50 degree weather!

Meathead stuff.

Lolsmh.

In football, as we've seen, "tough" = stupid. Being smart and dressing appropriately for conditions isn't hardnosed.

This is not over the jacket. Oliver has missed the last four weeks with a knee injury, was supposed to return, but didn’t.

Clearly Ed is protecting his draft status, as he probably should. But my guess is behind closed doors, Ed isn’t actively participating in practice, etc. It probably pisses off the coach, as it should, because Ed hasn’t been doing anything everyone else has probably all season long (he declared in March)...

Finally Major told him to take off the damn jacket and Ed flipped.

This doesn't even make sense to me. They want the starters wearing the jackets? Why? You're always 1 play away from having the back up go in the game. We'd have the backups wearing the jackets in the cold weather because if they have to go in the game you don't want them so cold they can't feel their hands or their feet or whatever. His thinking seems ssbackwards to me.

Imagine being a walk-on at FSU and Coach Taggart won't let you put on a jersey and pants on the sideline for the game. Oh wait, that's reality.

Reactions: CIL
This is not over the jacket. Oliver has missed the last four weeks with a knee injury, was supposed to return, but didn’t.

Clearly Ed is protecting his draft status, as he probably should. But my guess is behind closed doors, Ed isn’t actively participating in practice, etc. It probably pisses off the coach, as it should, because Ed hasn’t been doing anything everyone else has probably all season long (he declared in March)...

Finally Major told him to take off the damn jacket and Ed flipped.
I'm sure this is accurate. It's just that it's a moronic rule to begin with. Also, why be so passive agressive? Call him in the office and make it clear you think he is healthy based on what the medical staff has told you. If he is not interested in participating, for whatever reason, he doesn't need to be present at the football facilities or on the sideline.

I'm sure this is accurate. It's just that it's a moronic rule to begin with. Also, why be so passive agressive? Call him in the office and make it clear you think he is healthy based on what the medical staff has told you. If he is not interested in participating, for whatever reason, he doesn't need to be present at the football facilities or on the sideline.

How do you know he hasn’t?

Good for Oliver. Applewhite was garbage when he coached for us. I liked him as a player too. What a stupid thing to make a stand about and what a stupid player to pick on just wish him well in the NFL and thank him for 3 years.

I think that Major let his inner minor get the best of him.