OT - my son is having QUITE a day today... | Syracusefan.com

OT - my son is having QUITE a day today...

mark79

All Conference
He picked up a ring today and is planning to propose next week to a girl he met on a cruise during hurricane Sandie (and yes we were delayed getting back into the port of NY).

AND he just got back from a final interview in Charlottesville where he will be the Worship Director for a great church there.

This is the same son who was addicted to heroin for 7 incredibly tough years. Amidst all
of the chaos and troubles of this world there is still such a thing as redemption and I am a living witness to it. I could not be prouder of him.

this is a nice story. but is has nothing to do with a higher power. the kid was a druggie(sp?) now he can tell everyone how bad it is to be a druggy. are people supposed to jump up and down because this guy found god?

this is a nice story. but is has nothing to do with a higher power. the kid was a druggie(sp?) now he can tell everyone how bad it is to be a druggy. are people supposed to jump up and down because this guy found god?
djcrumbs-debbiedowner-smallified.gif

What a dick. Here is a guy sharing a personal story to people he interacts with frequently. He wasn't asking you to jump up and down, he is just proud of how far his son has made it. Oh by the way he never mentioned god once.

It shows a great deal of strength and will to overcome such an addiction. As a father, I can only imagine the pain Mark, and his whole family, felt during the worst of times. I believe it is quite in his right to share what is the beginning of the life he dreamed of for his son. I would like his post a thousand times if I could, and request that you do not add such negativity to an otherwise inspiring story.

There were many, many tears and tremendous personal grief during those horrible 7 years. Some of it was caused by folks calling or implying that our son was a "druggie" which is a tremendously ignorant way of labeling someone. With that term comes the derogatory inference that they are a complete waste of a life.

But the beauty of life is that it is never too late to find joy regardless of your pain and circumstances. And whether or not you want to jump up or down or not for what my son has been able to overcome does not change the fact that people can be redeemed from even the worst of circumstances and from the fact that I am tremendously proud of him.

And yes, I am just a guy on this board who feels tremendous joy and thankfulness today and felt like sharing it with folks that I have come to be friends with even though I have never met many of you. Thanks to those of you who are sharing in my joy and for the kind words of support.

There were many, many tears and tremendous personal grief during those horrible 7 years. Some of it was caused by folks calling or implying that our son was a "druggie" which is a tremendously ignorant way of labeling someone. With that term comes the derogatory inference that they are a complete waste of a life.

But the beauty of life is that it is never too late to find joy regardless of your pain and circumstances. And whether or not you want to jump up or down or not for what my son has been able to overcome does not change the fact that people can be redeemed from even the worst of circumstances and from the fact that I am tremendously proud of him.

And yes, I am just a guy on this board who feels tremendous joy and thankfulness today and felt like sharing it with folks that I have come to be friends with even though I have never met many of you. Thanks to those of you who are sharing in my joy and for the kind words of support.

Mark - I am so happy for you and am glad you shared this. A client once told me "You are only as happy as your saddest child". As a Dad, I thought that summed things up pretty accurately. I'm glad your son and you can now be happy.

Orangehomers' post is an example of how addiction and alcoholism is still greatly misunderstood. Modern science has shown us that although in some cases personal choice can promote the onset of addiction or alcoholism, the disease concept is generally regarded as being primarily responsible for how one person can take a drink and dabble with recreational drug use and be OK and not relinquish their ability to choose to put it down, while another begins a painful decent into alcoholism and addiction.

If someone were to relate how a loved one had recovered from cancer or another killer disease, they are generally encouraged and the person suffering from the condition is the recipient of empathy and sympathy. People all to often confuse the behavior with the person. The addict or alcoholic has lost the ability to "not drink and drug". It is a physical compulsion coupled with a mental obsession which is seldom, but mostly never, overcome by the unaided will. Twelve step programs recognize the best treatment for the condition is a complete cessation of using, the acceptance of the addict/ alcoholic that they are such, the development of a belief in a "power greater than oneself", and participation in a support group comprised of similarly suffering addicts/ alcoholics.

Often, the support group itself serves as the "power greater than oneself". But in most instances, people who recover often are those who have experienced a spiritual awakening of sorts and most often those people choose to call that experience "God".

The effects of Addiction and Alcoholism reach out far beyond the suffering addict/ alcoholic and often the suffering and anguish experienced by the immediate family is as acute as the addict/ alcoholic themselves and the sense of hopelessness and powerlessness can be so intense that people have to distance themselves from the sick person as a matter of personal preservation.

So, the joy experienced by family members when an addict/ alcoholic has found their way back through recovery is a wonderful and rare thing and is an outcome which deserves recognition and support. Just as active addiction and alcoholism creates suffering and hardship on loved ones, recovery fosters a chain of events whereby positive effects are enjoyed by most all those who are closely related to the person who is recovering.

If anyone should think that a person recovering from addiction or alcoholism is not reason for celebration and recognition, all anyone need do is ask any of my 5 children if their lives have been impacted by the fact that by the grace of God, I have not picked up a drink or a drug since August 9th 1990.

Last edited:
Beautifully said. The strength required to overcome addiction is something to be admired, in part because it is one's choice to do so. Both addiction and recovery are brutal to the addict and their loved ones. My son is three years clean from heroin. I am so proud of him.

Orangehomers' post is an example of how addiction and alcoholism is still greatly misunderstood. Modern science has shown us that although in some cases personal choice can promote the onset of addiction or alcoholism, the disease concept is generally regarded as being primarily responsible for how one person can take a drink and dabble with recreational drug use and be OK and not relinquish their ability to choose to put it down, while another begins a painful decent into alcoholism and addiction.

If someone were to relate how a loved one had recovered from cancer or another killer disease, they are generally encouraged and the person suffering from the condition is the recipient of empathy and sympathy. People all to often confuse the behavior with the person. The addict or alcoholic has lost the ability to "not drink and drug". It is a physical compulsion coupled with a mental obsession which is seldom, if never overcome by the unaided will. Twelve step programs recognize the best treatment for the condition is a complete cessation of using, the acceptance of the addict/ alcoholic that they are such, the development of a believe in a "power greater than oneself", and the precipitation in in a support group comprised of similarly suffering addicts/ alcoholics.

Often, the support group itself serves as the "power greater than oneself". But in most instances, people who recover often are those who have experienced a spiritual awakening of sorts and most often those people choose to call that experience "God".

The effects of Addiction and Alcoholism reach out far beyond the suffering addict/ alcoholic and often the suffering and anguish experienced by the immediate family is as acute as the addict/ alcoholic themselves and the sense of hopelessness and powerlessness can be so intense that people have to distance themselves from the sick person as a matter of personal preservation.

So, the joy experienced by family members when an addict/ alcoholic has found their way back through recovery is a wonderful and rare thing and is an outcome which deserves recognition and support. Just as active addiction and alcoholism creates suffering and hardship on loved ones, recover fosters a chain of events whereby positive effects are enjoyed by most all those who are closely related to the person who is recovering.

If anyone should think that a person recovering from addiction or alcoholism is not reason for celebration and recongnition, all anyone need do is ask any of my 5 children if there life has been impacted by the fact that I have not picked up a drink or a drug since August 9th 1990.

He picked up a ring today and is planning to propose next week to a girl he met on a cruise during hurricane Sandie (and yes we were delayed getting back into the port of NY).

AND he just got back from a final interview in Charlottesville where he will be the Worship Director for a great church there.

This is the same son who was addicted to heroin for 7 incredibly tough years. Amidst all
of the chaos and troubles of this world there is still such a thing as redemption and I am a living witness to it. I could not be prouder of him.
Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A long time ago, I went through something similar (but not as long) with one of mine and now she is a VP of Marketing and happy as a clam. Absolutely the most difficult thing I have ever encountered in my life and there is no close second.

So, I share your joy and pride and wish you and your family all the happiness the law allows.

Great story and thanks for sharing.

Congratulations Mark! That is just awesome. My cousin has been battling addiction to oxy and other painkillers since 2009. He relapsed twice and then seemed to be clean for almost 2 years before he relapsed again a couple months ago, which was just heartbreaking. It certainly has been a roller coaster experience for the entire family that is just hard to describe.

Homer - Others have put it better than I can already, but I am truly at a loss why you felt that post was necessary.