OT - New Car | Syracusefan.com

OT - New Car

DaytonCuse

Walk On
Looking for a replacement car for my wifes RX 330.

She drives 80 miles a day.

Options:

2012 BMW 528i xDrive - best gas mileage but concerned about the 2.0 L engine and BMW repair costs
2013 Lexus GS 350 AWD - concerned about the ride (too stiff)
2012 Audi A6 AWD - no experience with Audi

They are all about the same cost. Anyone have any experience with any of the above cars.

Thanks

Looking for a replacement car for my wifes RX 330.

She drives 80 miles a day.

Options:

2012 BMW 528i xDrive - best gas mileage but concerned about the 2.0 L engine and BMW repair costs
2013 Lexus GS 350 AWD - concerned about the ride (too stiff)
2012 Audi A6 AWD - no experience with Audi

They are all about the same cost. Anyone have any experience with any of the above cars.

Thanks
My pops rolls in an Audi. He loves it, German engineering at its finest. My mom drives the 350 rx... she loves that. So I do know you can't go wrong with either of those brands.

I can vouch for the Audi A6. Great car.. don't know much about BMW or Lexus though, other than Lexus being a glorified Toyota body and engine.

Save yourself some money and get a loaded Nissan Murano/Maxima or a new Hyundai.

Kia - so much for so much less. Has more gadgets than you can imagine plus plays your iPhone songs with no cables all bluetooth! Plus the sportage looks better than any option you listed.

I have experience with all 3.
(wife, mom, dad and aunt)
The BMW is the best car of the 3. (performance, suspension) Best for a true car lover.
The Audi is a classier ride, smooth yet powerful.
Lexus is refined, very quiet and smooth throttle. More of a chick/old persons ride.

The BMW has all maintenance included. bumper to bumper. excellent service.
The Audi has a similar service deal but not as good as the BMW.
Not sure about the Lexus package.

FWIW-
My wife had an Audi Q7 (cried when I traded it) and I just put her in the BMW and she doesn't like it. (I love it)

I will be going to the A6 AWD in the next few months. The lexus just seems hollow too me, kinda cheap feeling? (like I am going to snap the turn signal off the column) The Lexus looks too much like a Camry too me?
When you see a BMW or Audi coming up the road, you know what it is before you see the emblem.

Hope this helps, just my opinion.
Good luck.

The BMW and Audi are the same from an expensive repair standpoint. My experience is that the Audi is an amazing ride, but can have some persisten problems. I drove a 5 series for a bit and they ride nice, but you really have to step up to the plate to get similar options as the audi and Lexus offer Not on your list but I drive one of the new Acura tl's with AWD and the tech package is pretty nice may be worth a look

My opinion, for a lease, European cars are fine.

If you're buying, stick to the Japanese cars.

4 years from now, your bank account will thank you.

loaded kia optima.. had a new maxima, and a new m5 and was not impressed with either . test drove the m45, too many lexus models and a few mercedes.. love the optima.. stylish and rides great .. uvo is really high tech for the price .

BMW drives the best. Audi looks the nicest. Lexus is boring. I would go with a Buick Lacrosse AWD. Alot less exspensive to purchase, alot less to fix/maintain, and higher reliability rating than the audi, or bmw.

Here's the skinny from my point of view (I've owned both BMW and Audi's):

At the high end (M3 and S4) the Audi's crush the BMW's.

Quattro vs xdrive isn't even really a question. Xdrive's will feel super heavy in comparison to Quattro's.

http://www.autozine.org/technical_school/traction/tech_traction_4wd_2.htm#Torsen

If you are going to be in snow and ice, you want the Quattro.

Now on to other stuff:
BMW vs Audi service: Both are expensive with BMW being _slightly_ more expensive.
Interior: Personal preference: Audi, but can see it both ways.

All in, the BMW's are less "spirited" than the Audi's. They will feel "tighter" in general where the Audi's will feel like they want to get up and go.

What's a Lexus? ;)

44cuse

I have an Audi A6 and it has the best handle for any car period. I would look into diesel as my wife has a Volkswagen golf tdi that gets her 50 mpg. Benz and BMW have it and it's called bluetec. My next car will be a diesel car. Below is a link, but just know that the real mpg are way higher than the EPA tests.http://hybridcars.com/diesel-efficient-cars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots of miles? Go look at a Hyundai Elantra. I may well replace my wife's Honda lease with one of them this year. If you have more money than you can fit in your pockets, there are lots of folks here that could use it.

Which one comes in orange?
If you are into looks, get on the wait list for a Morgan.

I am an unapologetic Lexus fan. I have an RX350 AWD (my third Lexus), and I love everything about it. The ride, the handling, the mileage, and most importantly, the service. At least in this part of the world (CT), nothing compares with Lexus service. For what I need a car (reliable, spacious, and good service... I won't get anything else). I have had bad experience with both Mercedes and BMW.

If you care about suspension and handling you cannot beat a BMW. Lexus is just a Toyota. They are nice cars but they have no guts whatsoever. I have not had a Lexus but have been in them plenty of times and drove one once. Hated how "soft" the suspension was. No guts. I've never had an Audi, so I cannot comment on them but nothing beats German engineering. BMWs are cars for guys who enjoy driving. They live up to the "ultimate driving machine" slogan.

I remember you’re RX450 experience. :rolleyes:
I haven’t dared advise anyone on car buying since :oops:

I can vouch for the Audi A6. Great car.. don't know much about BMW or Lexus though, other than Lexus being a glorified Toyota body and engine.

VW AUDI PORCHE

Best car group out there. Once you drive a German car you'll ever go back to anything else.

Here's the skinny from my point of view (I've owned both BMW and Audi's):

At the high end (M3 and S4) the Audi's crush the BMW's.

Quattro vs xdrive isn't even really a question. Xdrive's will feel super heavy in comparison to Quattro's.

http://www.autozine.org/technical_school/traction/tech_traction_4wd_2.htm#Torsen

If you are going to be in snow and ice, you want the Quattro.

Now on to other stuff:
BMW vs Audi service: Both are expensive with BMW being _slightly_ more expensive.
Interior: Personal preference: Audi, but can see it both ways.

All in, the BMW's are less "spirited" than the Audi's. They will feel "tighter" in general where the Audi's will feel like they want to get up and go.

What's a Lexus? ;)

44cuse

I have to ask... in what category / characteristic does an S4 crush an M3? IMO, it's not even close: the M3 is an infinitely better driver, handler, faster... everything except tech-y / gadgety, so I'll grant you those. But the delta between the M3 and the S4 is huge, with the aforementioned exception of gadgets and AWD (only necessary if you must drive the car in wintry conditions). Steering is just not even comparable between the two. I must admit I'm rather flummoxed by your opinions. Have you owned and extensively driven both?

Now an RS4 v. the M3... that is a fair comparison with the edge possibly going to Audi. The S4 simply isn't in the M3's league unless you don't care about driving dynamics... in which case just buy luxury rather than sport.

I have to ask... in what category / characteristic does an S4 crush an M3? IMO, it's not even close: the M3 is an infinitely better driver, handler, faster... everything except tech-y / gadgety, so I'll grant you those. But the delta between the M3 and the S4 is huge, with the aforementioned exception of gadgets and AWD (only necessary if you must drive the car in wintry conditions). Steering is just not even comparable between the two. I must admit I'm rather flummoxed by your opinions. Have you owned and extensively driven both?

Now an RS4 v. the M3... that is a fair comparison with the edge possibly going to Audi. The S4 simply isn't in the M3's league unless you don't care about driving dynamics... in which case just buy luxury rather than sport.

I'm editing this touch to avoid devolving into an argument.

Prior to the B7 RS4 quattro (~`02-`04), the S4 was the better car IMO. The M was the faster straight line car, but not the handling capability of the Quattro.

You are correct though in the sense that is where the comparison between the S and the M ends and the R and the M picks up.

Personally, I would still prefer the RS4 out of the sheer sense that I don't have an issue with driving a quattro over a RWD. I have yet to drive the E92, but from those I trust, they maintain it's the closest one can get to the B5 RS4.

In terms of answering your question, the easy answer is: Price.

The extra $20K for the M3 (over the S4 not the RS) just isn't worth it. If you're so inclined, you can ECU mod the S4 for far less than $20K. Full disclosure, I'm quite biased as I do a lot of snow/mountain driving and have two S4's. So price/performance with any type of winter driving at all, S4.

44cuse

I'm editing this touch to avoid devolving into an argument.

Prior to the B7 RS4 quattro (~`02-`04), the S4 was the better car IMO. The M was the faster straight line car, but not the handling capability of the Quattro.

You are correct though in the sense that is where the comparison between the S and the M ends and the R and the M picks up.

Personally, I would still prefer the RS4 out of the sheer sense that I don't have an issue with driving a quattro over a RWD. I have yet to drive the E92, but from those I trust, they maintain it's the closest one can get to the B5 RS4.

In terms of answering your question, the easy answer is: Price.

The extra $20K for the M3 (over the S4 not the RS) just isn't worth it. If you're so inclined, you can ECU mod the S4 for far less than $20K. Full disclosure, I'm quite biased as I do a lot of snow/mountain driving and have two S4's. So price/performance with any type of winter driving at all, S4.

44cuse

Fair points RE: price and winter driving. My context is different - was thinking mostly dry roads and I prioritize suspension / steering which IMO are better in the RWD BMW although Quattro does provide the best AWD experience.

The E92 is very nice but I thought the E46 was actually much more raw and "involving" drive.

I just wish the RS4 had more interior room - with my family in tow it's no longer practical. I ended up going with an E63 AMG last time around. Maybe I should have looked at the RS6?

I own a BMW 5 series, and I own an Audi. I have owned Audi's for 20 yrs. Both are great manufacturers, both are very expensive for maintenance. The BMW is the most technically superior/competent vehicle I have ever owned, but compared to the Audi's it has no soul. I'm a car guy. I only own AWD or rear wheel drive and manual transmissions. I say this to let you know that I am not a normal person. I will be going back to Audi for my next car.

I have no experience with Lexus. I just don't feel comfortable with the idea that a Lexus would last 200k miles, which is my standard.

The closest thing I will come to driving a 2012 BMW is a 2012 BMX.