OT - New Car | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT - New Car

Infiniti G37 or if you're willing to sacrifice HP for better mileage, the G25. They are absolutely bullet proof, will do 150K miles in a blink and are a hoot to drive.

If you have the kind of fiscal resources to afford any of those options, more power to you. I don''t think you can go wrong with any.
I'm sort of a "Car Guy." Have bought/owned over 30 new car in my life (I'm 62). Since about 1991, I have pretty much stayed in the Asian car camp----more bang for the buck.
FWIW, I currently own 4 cars, down from 5 a coupla years ago. My current daily driver---and the best, most reliable, most versatile, and most cost-effective vehicle I've ever owned---is a 2007 Kia Rondo, now with 48K miles on her. Huge cargo capacity (72 cu.ft) to haul my band's gear; quiet, high ride; repair-free (never had to have ANY repairs done ever) since I drove it off the lot; 22-30 mpg; and seats 7. No longer available in the USA (dammit!). And all it cost in Oct 2007 was $16K.
BTW, my other cars are a 2007 Mazda MX-5 roadster (fun ragtop!), a 2010 Honda Insight hybrid (consistent 44-50 mpg), and a 2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Turbo roadster (with tweeks, getting 300hp and 5.0 sec in the 0-60).

Save money and support the USA.

check out a new chevy impala, or lincoln MKZ

My best advice is test drive a year or two year old model of what you are looking at new. That will give you good idea of what your new car will drive and handle like when it is a year, or two years old.

Fair points RE: price and winter driving. My context is different - was thinking mostly dry roads and I prioritize suspension / steering which IMO are better in the RWD BMW although Quattro does provide the best AWD experience.

The E92 is very nice but I thought the E46 was actually much more raw and "involving" drive.

I just wish the RS4 had more interior room - with my family in tow it's no longer practical. I ended up going with an E63 AMG last time around. Maybe I should have looked at the RS6?

That is so funny. I ALMOST asked you last night if you had driven the E63. What's your take on it? What year is it? Not sure where you are in your car cycle, but with the shift in from the V10 to the V8 Twin Turbo (550hp) I have to believe the 2013 RS6 Avant is headed for the U.S. market (actually, I guess I shouldn't assume you are in the U.S. and perhaps you have had access to the V10 at $160K). ;) Not sure how you feel about driving a wagon, but the family in tow comment was what led me there. Personally, I'm looking forward to this car and the wagon thing doesn't really bother me.

In terms of the E46, when you reference "involving", are you primarily referring to the steering side (ie: the calibration on the steering power assist)? My understanding was that that was dialed up (or back?) for specifically that reason. Or is it more along the lines of the rigidity of the suspension and is it really that much more rigid than E92?

I do know what you mean though in terms of RWD vs Quattro. There is a difference and I'll put myself in the minority in that I just prefer the Quattro feel vs RWD.

RS4: Tiny. IMO: that was the right call.

What's the scoop on the E63?

44cuse

That is so funny. I ALMOST asked you last night if you had driven the E63. What's your take on it? What year is it? Not sure where you are in your car cycle, but with the shift in from the V10 to the V8 Twin Turbo (550hp) I have to believe the 2013 RS6 Avant is headed for the U.S. market (actually, I guess I shouldn't assume you are in the U.S. and perhaps you have had access to the V10 at $160K). ;) Not sure how you feel about driving a wagon, but the family in tow comment was what led me there. Personally, I'm looking forward to this car and the wagon thing doesn't really bother me.

In terms of the E46, when you reference "involving", are you primarily referring to the steering side (ie: the calibration on the steering power assist)? My understanding was that that was dialed up (or back?) for specifically that reason. Or is it more along the lines of the rigidity of the suspension and is it really that much more rigid than E92?

I do know what you mean though in terms of RWD vs Quattro. There is a difference and I'll put myself in the minority in that I just prefer the Quattro feel vs RWD.

RS4: Tiny. IMO: that was the right call.

What's the scoop on the E63?

44cuse

My E63 is a 2008, got it CPO with low miles, etc. - it was kind of a steal if that is possible with cars at this price point.

I would love to have a performance wagon and the RS6 sounds like a dollop of Awesomesauce on wheels. I will definitely check it out but at $160K probably outside my comfort zone.

The E46 IMO was more rigid and "tight" than the E92, definitely seemed to have a better suspension.

I'm kind of ambivalent on the E63. It is an absolute rocket in a straight line, and I like the old school engine (no turbo or supercharger). Great exhaust note. Interior styling is nice. Fairly roomy, good visibility from the cabin. However the steering is not on par with comparable BMWs or Audis. Suspension is OK when dialed to "sport" but again not on the level of other performance models. I probably would go with a BMW or Audi next time around. Hope this helps...

I've owned both BMW and Audi. Audi was superior to the BMW and the service was much better. The BMW had scheduled oil changes etc. My wife went in one time to the dealership (where I purchased the car for my wife) it was the 14k scheduled visit. The car was shy of 14K by less than 100 miles and they refused to do the scheduled visit for her since the odom had not yet gone over the 14K mark. The phone call from me which followed is not suitable for this board. I've not owned a BMW after that one.

my wife drives the lexus es350. (previous car was a es300). she test drove the volvo,audi and BMW . she's more about the comfort and dependability than sporty handling or looks.
we've never encountered even a hiccup of trouble with either lexus and the service is always great.

I've got a Lexus ES300 I brought new in 2000, mostly highway driving, pushing 315,000 miles & still going strong. Normal maintenance, always used Mobil 1 & it gets 26 -28 MPG highway. I drive speed limit plus 7, got to keep it under double digits. ;)
The ride might be a little soft but hey, my street racing days are long over. It’s got more than enough get up & go for me.

Infiniti G37 or if you're willing to sacrifice HP for better mileage, the G25. They are absolutely bullet proof, will do 150K miles in a blink and are a hoot to drive.

I'd go for the infinity G37 too. Looks great. I prefer the balance of good looks with the super strong japanese reliability. I hate taking cars into service.

cars are cars, the real question is where is you're heart?

Given the class of car you are looking at, if you can manage to find a quality used Dodge or Plymouth Neon, I'd go with that. Preferably with a racing stripe.

I met my wife driving this car, and she couldn't resist.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom