OT: Pretty funny. Top 10 trashiest places to live in NYS | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Pretty funny. Top 10 trashiest places to live in NYS

The city that amazes me the most is Amsterdam. What a dump, but there has been a huge influx of distribution centers where a lot of people must work and get paid somewhat decent for a dumpy town. They must, otherwise how can a town of 18,000 people, plus of course the surrounding areas, including Gloversville, Johnstown, Fonda, Futonville, support so many retailers such as Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart, Target, Tractor Supply, Kohls, Marshall's.
Drive through it on way from 90 to 87. At some point I’m sure there was a lot of industry there but the buildings are totally ghostly. Apparently a part of it is pretty wealthy though, my former roommate’s parents live there.

Nah, its a great place if youre 20 and on your 20th or 30th beer. The chicks from Blossvale and Taberg start looking good right about then!
I was there last summer for a day as my buddy has a camp on Oneida. Chose a pretty awful day for it as the waves were like the ocean and boating was pretty dangerous. If nothing else, it’s good ppl watching.

I was there last summer for a day as my buddy has a camp on Oneida. Chose a pretty awful day for it as the waves were like the ocean and boating was pretty dangerous. If nothing else, it’s good ppl watching.

I appreciate the casual reference to the danger involved that was offset by the people watching.

Sylvan Beach has to be on that list doesn't it?? It was a fun place to drink as a kid but even I called it The White Trash Riviera, and I was total white trash lol
I remember lots of dead fish floating around in the water as a kid. Not sure why or if it’s better now.

I was going to say….I have no idea why they said Utica, and not Rome. Utica has way more to offer.
Utica is far from great but it blows Rome out of the water in almost every aspect.

It is crazy how often I see a fight on Varick or at Turning Stone and someone from Rome is involved. And I’m friends with Romans who have gotten into crazy chit at Sylvan Beach. My parents still talk about how trashy Sylvan would get on the 4th of July.

Utica is far from great but it blows Rome out of the water in almost every aspect.

It is crazy how often I see a fight on Varick or at Turning Stone and someone from Rome is involved. And I’m friends with Romans who have gotten into crazy chit at Sylvan Beach. My parents still talk about how trashy Sylvan would get on the 4th of July.
Fighting at Turning Stone has gotta be the dumbest thing I’ve heard today. There are cameras everywhere in there.

Think back to what Buffalo/Binghamton/ Elmira/etc were like in say…1971 (admittedly some you have to go back a decade earlier). Compare to now. Personally I’ve gotten tired of articles that talk negatively about places in the US. The reality is most of the country looks fairly close to the better favelas I used to drive past in Brazil when I was working there, instead of showing the prosperity they did a couple generations ago.

America has been steadily dying throughout my lifetime, and with our current financial situation total collapse in my lifetime is possible - maybe probable. Articles talking about how crappy significant portions of the US are now should scare the hell out of people more than they do - we are in deep, deep trouble.

A recent article...

Splash into Summer: Central NY beach resort crowned one of the top destinations in the world to visit this June​

Central NY beach resort crowned one of the top destinations in the world to visit this June
I remember hearing about that when it was an idea….forgot about it. I guess it actually happened? I’ve never heard anybody mention it, so I find it hard to believe it’s a top destination in the world.

Hope it’s nice though. I always had fun at Harpoon Eddie’s - generally knew how to avoid the “trashy” times.

Grew up in Gloversville from 85-94, leading into my teenage years. Really great memories of that time. At one point long before, I believe the most millionaires per capita in the US. Beautiful town, community, housing. Went back about 5-6 years ago and man, what a shame. Typical Upstate NY fall from grace, and now...well this pretty much sums it up

Cops: Sno Kone Joe stalked Mr. Ding-A-Ling in ice cream truck turf war

I appreciate the casual reference to the danger involved that was offset by the people watching.
We anchored at sylvan and it was ridiculously rough. Only had a 17 foot searay and 7 of us so 2 stayed on shore for the ride back and got picked up in a car. Luckily we aren’t idiots like some out there.

But yes…. Really good people watching. Also girls these days don’t dress like they used to…

Grew up in Gloversville from 85-94, leading into my teenage years. Really great memories of that time. At one point long before, I believe the most millionaires per capita in the US. Beautiful town, community, housing. Went back about 5-6 years ago and man, what a shame. Typical Upstate NY fall from grace, and now...well this pretty much sums it up

That same thing happened in a King of Queens episode!

Ghost , you need to see this.
MSOrange, as a huge King Of Queens fan, so do you.

My life will never be the same after finding out Sno Kone Joe has been harassing other ice cream trucks for the last decade. An absolute riot reading this. Thank you for sharing.

Sylvan Beach has to be on that list doesn't it?? It was a fun place to drink as a kid but even I called it The White Trash Riviera, and I was total white trash lol
Huge changes coming there, thanks to the Oneida tribe.

ditto

As a native Fultonian, I object to most of the commentary in this thread.

To be clear, I was not a wrestler, but the discussions re Fulton as someone who attended Johnson City High School, as it pertained to Fulton parents, the town, their wrestling team, felt like it was fueled by the power of the sun.

Did someone read them to you? :) (Even we Phoenicians made fun of Fulton, the “ity with an uture”, as the sign said.)

I did the tubing in Phoenicia a few years back and didn’t kill myself.

My childhood home was at the "5" in "105" on the Jamestown map. Not trashy.

Hey! My beloved city of Gloversville is being besmirched. I, SU class of 1964, and my father before me, SU class of 1926, are Gloversville people. I've been here all my life. A lot of SU grads and fans here. Let me tell you some things about Gloversville. There are Gloversville and Syracuse U connections.

But first, I know Sno Kone Joe - he lives a few houses away from me, and he is a nice guy who is protective of his business, as we all would be. Mr Ding-A-Ling is owned by an out-of-towner so I always give my business to the Gloversville fellow, Sno Kone Joe, to help the local economy. I also give my business to his Gloversville competitor, Mr Pop Pop, a friend who has great chocolate ice cream tacos. If a parade goes by my house (I live on the local parade route), I'll let Mr Pop Pop set up on my lawn. Please don't tell Sno Kone Joe about this, as I don't want any trouble.

More about G-ville, as we call it. At one time, it was a very prosperous community. As our name suggests, we had the world's glove industry here. My grandpa on my mother's side manufactured gloves. Why did the city become the center of the world's glove industry. Because of forests of hemlock trees, which produces bark used in the tanning process. Because of many deer for deerskin gloves. Because of an abundance of soft water. Soft for the best tanning.

G-ville and SU connection #1. As for the water, G-ville is in Fulton County which is known as the Land of 44 Lakes. We have a lot of water bodies but 44 may not be exactly right. You see, the G-ville advertising professional who coined the phrase tried to count the lakes but gave up. For instance, is a "pond" or is a man-made "reservoir" really a "lake?" He had trouble with the count but needed a number. Then, as he told me, he thought of his favorite SU football players, Brown, Davis, and Little, all wearing 44. He decided "That's it, 44 Lakes." So we are the Land of 44 Lakes, all because of SUs illustrious 44s, even though 44 lakes is not exactly true. Most locals believe we have 44 lakes, but I just gave you the true story. Just don't tell anybody, as I don't want any trouble.

G-ville and SU connection #2. There is a mural on an outside wall of the Huntington Beard Crouse Hall. It is The Passion of Sacco and Vanzetti, by noted artist Ben Shahn. It is a work of art on a side of a building. Among the several people instrumental in obtaining this for the SU campus was a G-ville person who knew Shahn. The mural would not be there if not for this person, whose daughter attended SU. It is dedicated to the memory of a young man killed in an accident while an SU student; the G-ville person was a friend of that family who live in our twin city of Johnstown NY.

G-ville and SU connection #3. SU has the Schine Student Center. The Schines were Gloversville people, very successful in the movie theater and hotel business. Their daughter, also very successful, SU class 1950, was the benefactor of the building, dedicated to her parents. Our families were acquainted and her parents and mine are buried in a Gloversville cemetery in plots next to each other.

So, Gloversville, which can be a nice place to live, is a bit downtrodden, but had a proud past, and some interesting connections to Syracuse U.