OT: Pretty funny. Top 10 trashiest places to live in NYS | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Pretty funny. Top 10 trashiest places to live in NYS

Hey! My beloved city of Gloversville is being besmirched. I, SU class of 1964, and my father before me, SU class of 1926, are Gloversville people. I've been here all my life. A lot of SU grads and fans here. Let me tell you some things about Gloversville. There are Gloversville and Syracuse U connections.

But first, I know Sno Kone Joe - he lives a few houses away from me, and he is a nice guy who is protective of his business, as we all would be. Mr Ding-A-Ling is owned by an out-of-towner so I always give my business to the Gloversville fellow, Sno Kone Joe, to help the local economy. I also give my business to his Gloversville competitor, Mr Pop Pop, a friend who has great chocolate ice cream tacos. If a parade goes by my house (I live on the local parade route), I'll let Mr Pop Pop set up on my lawn. Please don't tell Sno Kone Joe about this, as I don't want any trouble.

More about G-ville, as we call it. At one time, it was a very prosperous community. As our name suggests, we had the world's glove industry here. My grandpa on my mother's side manufactured gloves. Why did the city become the center of the world's glove industry. Because of forests of hemlock trees, which produces bark used in the tanning process. Because of many deer for deerskin gloves. Because of an abundance of soft water. Soft for the best tanning.

G-ville and SU connection #1. As for the water, G-ville is in Fulton County which is known as the Land of 44 Lakes. We have a lot of water bodies but 44 may not be exactly right. You see, the G-ville advertising professional who coined the phrase tried to count the lakes but gave up. For instance, is a "pond" or is a man-made "reservoir" really a "lake?" He had trouble with the count but needed a number. Then, as he told me, he thought of his favorite SU football players, Brown, Davis, and Little, all wearing 44. He decided "That's it, 44 Lakes." So we are the Land of 44 Lakes, all because of SUs illustrious 44s, even though 44 lakes is not exactly true. Most locals believe we have 44 lakes, but I just gave you the true story. Just don't tell anybody, as I don't want any trouble.

G-ville and SU connection #2. There is a mural on an outside wall of the Huntington Beard Crouse Hall. It is The Passion of Sacco and Vanzetti, by noted artist Ben Shahn. It is a work of art on a side of a building. Among the several people instrumental in obtaining this for the SU campus was a G-ville person who knew Shahn. The mural would not be there if not for this person, whose daughter attended SU. It is dedicated to the memory of a young man killed in an accident while an SU student; the G-ville person was a friend of that family who live in our twin city of Johnstown NY.

G-ville and SU connection #3. SU has the Schine Student Center. The Schines were Gloversville people, very successful in the movie theater and hotel business. Their daughter, also very successful, SU class 1950, was the benefactor of the building, dedicated to her parents. Our families were acquainted and her parents and mine are buried in a Gloversville cemetery in plots next to each other.

So, Gloversville, which can be a nice place to live, is a bit downtrodden, but had a proud past, and some interesting connections to Syracuse U.
How can you not mention former Section 2 standout athlete who won sectional titles in Football, Basketball and Baseball and current head baseball coach at Shen who played QB at Syracuse, Greg Christodulu. Here is a nice video.

Did someone read them to you? :) (Even we Phoenicians made fun of Fulton, the “ity with an uture”, as the sign said.)
I did some theater up in Phoenix at the Three Rivers Inn back in the early 90s.

Hey! My beloved city of Gloversville is being besmirched. I, SU class of 1964, and my father before me, SU class of 1926, are Gloversville people. I've been here all my life. A lot of SU grads and fans here. Let me tell you some things about Gloversville. There are Gloversville and Syracuse U connections.

But first, I know Sno Kone Joe - he lives a few houses away from me, and he is a nice guy who is protective of his business, as we all would be. Mr Ding-A-Ling is owned by an out-of-towner so I always give my business to the Gloversville fellow, Sno Kone Joe, to help the local economy. I also give my business to his Gloversville competitor, Mr Pop Pop, a friend who has great chocolate ice cream tacos. If a parade goes by my house (I live on the local parade route), I'll let Mr Pop Pop set up on my lawn. Please don't tell Sno Kone Joe about this, as I don't want any trouble.

More about G-ville, as we call it. At one time, it was a very prosperous community. As our name suggests, we had the world's glove industry here. My grandpa on my mother's side manufactured gloves. Why did the city become the center of the world's glove industry. Because of forests of hemlock trees, which produces bark used in the tanning process. Because of many deer for deerskin gloves. Because of an abundance of soft water. Soft for the best tanning.

G-ville and SU connection #1. As for the water, G-ville is in Fulton County which is known as the Land of 44 Lakes. We have a lot of water bodies but 44 may not be exactly right. You see, the G-ville advertising professional who coined the phrase tried to count the lakes but gave up. For instance, is a "pond" or is a man-made "reservoir" really a "lake?" He had trouble with the count but needed a number. Then, as he told me, he thought of his favorite SU football players, Brown, Davis, and Little, all wearing 44. He decided "That's it, 44 Lakes." So we are the Land of 44 Lakes, all because of SUs illustrious 44s, even though 44 lakes is not exactly true. Most locals believe we have 44 lakes, but I just gave you the true story. Just don't tell anybody, as I don't want any trouble.

G-ville and SU connection #2. There is a mural on an outside wall of the Huntington Beard Crouse Hall. It is The Passion of Sacco and Vanzetti, by noted artist Ben Shahn. It is a work of art on a side of a building. Among the several people instrumental in obtaining this for the SU campus was a G-ville person who knew Shahn. The mural would not be there if not for this person, whose daughter attended SU. It is dedicated to the memory of a young man killed in an accident while an SU student; the G-ville person was a friend of that family who live in our twin city of Johnstown NY.

G-ville and SU connection #3. SU has the Schine Student Center. The Schines were Gloversville people, very successful in the movie theater and hotel business. Their daughter, also very successful, SU class 1950, was the benefactor of the building, dedicated to her parents. Our families were acquainted and her parents and mine are buried in a Gloversville cemetery in plots next to each other.

So, Gloversville, which can be a nice place to live, is a bit downtrodden, but had a proud past, and some interesting connections to Syracuse U.
What's become of the glove factory?

How can you not mention former Section 2 standout athlete who won sectional titles in Football, Basketball and Baseball and current head baseball coach at Shen who played QB at Syracuse, Greg Christodulu. Here is a nice video.

You are correct about Greg Christodulu, a fabulous Gloversville athlete. He and Glen Fall's Joe Girard III had similarities in high school exploits (Gloversville and Girard's Glens Falls compete in the same sports league) and also similarities as SU athletes. I had never seen that excellent video. My and Christodulu's paths crossed years ago briefly in Gloversville, although we did not directly know each other; I'm a bit older.

Speaking of the high school Girard, when your high school (like Gloversville High) is about to play basketball against a team (like Glens Falls) which has a player (like JG III) whom you know is going to score 50 points against you and you can't do anything about it, do you try to hold him to 49 and declare a moral victory?

You are correct about Greg Christodulu, a fabulous Gloversville athlete. He and Glen Fall's Joe Girard III had similarities in high school exploits (Gloversville and Girard's Glens Falls compete in the same sports league) and also similarities as SU athletes. I had never seen that excellent video. My and Christodulu's paths crossed years ago briefly in Gloversville, although we did not directly know each other; I'm a bit older.

Speaking of the high school Girard, when your high school (like Gloversville High) is about to play basketball against a team (like Glens Falls) which has a player (like JG III) whom you know is going to score 50 points against you and you can't do anything about it, do you try to hold him to 49 and declare a moral victory?
No, you send the big foreign exchange goon in to run him into the scorer's table. Everybody knows this.

9. Auburn​

It is hard to imagine a town right on the northern end of Owasco Lake being trashy. I'll take lakefront trahsy any day of the week!

Kermit The Frog No GIF by Muppet Wiki

A recent article...

Splash into Summer: Central NY beach resort crowned one of the top destinations in the world to visit this June​

Central NY beach resort crowned one of the top destinations in the world to visit this June
I promise I'm not trying to be mean, but Sylvan Beach, with its tiny beach, year-round cold water, couple of mediocre food options, and tiny amusement park is a "top destination in the world?" I could see if it was like a "top destination in Upstate NY" or something, but even that might be pushing it.

But you still ate our chocolate and drank our beer.
Yes we did. It was that with which we seduced your women. Actually, back in the day, some among us would get into the box cars behind Millers and acquire extra beer, as needed.

Don't tell anybody, as I don't want to get in trouble, but...;)

I drove through Gloversville a few years ago on the way back and forth from a camp on Caroga Lake. I was impressed with the architecture of many of the buildings in the downtown section of town. It certainly captured the flavor of a bygone era. I wish bucks could be put into some restoration. The town has some charm and potential.

Last edited:
What's become of the glove factory?
It was not one factory. I am 80 years of age, and when I was college age at SU, in the Gloversville and Johnstown area, we had probably 500 businesses serving the tanning and glove making industries, from factories employing over 100 people to one person operations in the garages of their homes. My grandfather and uncle had a glove making factory on the second floor of a commercial building employing quite a few people. Then, the brother went back to NYC and grandpa down sized to a shop in the garage with 3 employees, producing fine handmade gloves. I have his leather cutting shears, 12 inches long.

There were factories all over the place. But these businesses moved overseas, and the factories could not attract new businesses because of labor costs or because modern manufacturing avoided multi-floor buildings. Some did find occupants, but many were torn down, especially tanneries which had been polluted by dangerous chemicals. The tainted land around tanneries had to be dug up and transported to isolated places.

Amsterdam, nearby, had two factories, of two companies, producing carpets, and when they pulled out, it was all over quickly. Gloversville took longer because of the numerous businesses, and there are still about 20 left, and a couple entities are pretty big and successful.

I promise I'm not trying to be mean, but Sylvan Beach, with its tiny beach, year-round cold water, couple of mediocre food options, and tiny amusement park is a "top destination in the world?" I could see if it was like a "top destination in Upstate NY" or something, but even that might be pushing it.
Cold? Oneida Lake water is spa warm compared to Skaneateles Lake. Oneida is pretty shallow, only a max of around 55 feet deep while Skaneateles is around 310 feet deep. Oneida being that shallow, warms and freezes pretty quickly. Finger Lakes like Seneca, Cayuga that are even deeper than Skaneateles rarely freeze and are very slow to warm up.

Until they abandoned Fulton. Still makes me sad. As a kid I remember coming into Fulton on a cloudy day and smelling the chocolate.
Two things: I vividly remember an article after a strike by Nestle employees where the company said they got what they wanted, but that will be the last contract (or words to that effect).
At my house, west and a bit south of Phoenix, 10-15 miles away, we could smell chocolate, especially on cold, winter days. I particularly recall it occurring when ice skating/ playing hockey on our pond or sledding

Last edited:
Two things: I vividly remember an article after a strike by Nestle employees where the company said the got what they wanted, but that will be the last contract (or words to that effect).
At my house in west and a bit south of Phoenix, 10-15 miles away, we could smell chocolate, especially on cold, winter days. I particularly rennet it occurring when ice skating/ playing hockey on our pond or sledding
Nestles had the best company store ever. They owned and mfg’erd not just Nestles candies but owned Stauffers, Libby’s, Carnation etc. They had taste testers and I was asked a number of times to test newly proposed chocolate products. They had an almond roasting room that was so good, hot cocoa powder area, chocolate liquor tanks, chocolate bar area, butterscotch & chocolate morsel area, fascinating packaging machines on and on. The mfg processes were so interesting. Sad that Fulton lost it.

Nestles had the best company store ever. They owned and mfg’erd not just Nestles candies but owned Stauffers, Libby’s, Carnation etc. They had taste testers and I was asked a number of times to test newly proposed chocolate products. They had an almond roasting room that was so good, hot cocoa powder area, chocolate liquor tanks, chocolate bar area, butterscotch etc morsel area, fascinating packaging machines on and on. The mfg processes were so interesting. Sad that Fulton lost it.

The only redeeming part of driving thru that ****hole Fulton on the way to Syracuse was smelling the Nestles on the way by.

I kid about the ****hole part. That was just for JOC44. My pediatrician was in the city with a future. And the legendary Mimi's. And B&T Sports. And Carvel. And I had a really fun time at Chubby's once for a Christmas party, so it's not all bad.

The only redeeming part of driving thru that ****hole Fulton on the way to Syracuse was smelling the Nestles on the way by.

I kid about the ****hole part. That was just for JOC44. My pediatrician was in the city with a future. And the legendary Mimi's. And B&T Sports. And Carvel. And I had a really fun time at Chubby's once for a Christmas party, so it's not all bad.
Oh yeah, I remember fresh Carvel ice cream cakes. So much better than what's in the stores now.

Was your Pediatrician Dr. Trust?

Nestles had the best company store ever. They owned and mfg’erd not just Nestles candies but owned Stauffers, Libby’s, Carnation etc. They had taste testers and I was asked a number of times to test newly proposed chocolate products. They had an almond roasting room that was so good, hot cocoa powder area, chocolate liquor tanks, chocolate bar area, butterscotch etc morsel area, fascinating packaging machines on and on. The mfg processes were so interesting. Sad that Fulton lost it.
My Grandma worked at Nestle at one point. As a former employee she could get candy bars dirt cheap from the store. She didn't have much money, but every christmas that's what she gave all of her kids' families as christmas presents. It was awesome.

Last edited:

Had some company get togethers at a place called Muskie’s, a neighborhood dive bar, the Polish home, some bowling alley, recreation type place west on Rte 3. There was a place in the city , maybe called Red Baron, that had huge deli sandwiches. Never lived there, always Onondaga County, but worked there 3 years before heading further north to work in the good old port city.

My Grandma worked at Nestle at one point. As a former employee she could get candy bars dirt cheap from the store. She didn't have much money but every christmas that's what she gave all of her kids' families as christmas present. It was awesome.
We were loved on Halloween by our neighborhood kids.