OT: Pretty funny. Top 10 trashiest places to live in NYS | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Pretty funny. Top 10 trashiest places to live in NYS

Had some company get togethers at a place called Muskie’s, a neighborhood dive bar, the Polish home, some bowling alley, recreation type place west on Rte 3. There was a place in the city , maybe called Red Baron, that had huge deli sandwiches. Never lived there, always Onondaga County, but worked there 3 years before heading further north to work in the good old port city.

Oh, and I forgot about the Bilou roller skating rink. And that little lake nearby where you could swim in the summer with the makeshift beach. A dead body floated in once when we were there. Not kidding.

The only redeeming part of driving thru that ****hole Fulton on the way to Syracuse was smelling the Nestles on the way by.

I kid about the ****hole part. That was just for JOC44. My pediatrician was in the city with a future. And the legendary Mimi's. And B&T Sports. And Carvel. And I had a really fun time at Chubby's once for a Christmas party, so it's not all
Had some company get togethers at a place called Muskie’s, a neighborhood dive bar, the Polish home, some bowling alley, recreation type place west on Rte 3. There was a place in the city , maybe called Red Baron, that had huge deli sandwiches. Never lived there, always Onondaga County, but worked there 3 years before heading further north to work in the good old port city.
Sweet inspirations ice cream, carvels sundaes (bogo Wednesday), Mr. Mikes fish fry, definitely B&T before it burnt to the ground, Red Baron had pizza (and probably sandwiches, but only got pizza there). Best subs were from Super Duper before it closed, and that tiny deli next to the old Sealright before it got ran over by a truck.

Oh, and I forgot about the Bilou roller skating rink. And that little lake nearby where you could swim in the summer with the makeshift beach. A dead body floated in once when we were there. Not kidding.
Lake Neahtawanta

It had a native Indian impossible to pronounce name so we called it Neanderthal Lake. No offense but that Lake was pretty dirty, smelly.

Lake Neatahwanta? I never knew anyone swam in there.

I “dated” a girl from Gloversville in college as well. She was smokin’! Way outta my league.
Season 5 Nbc GIF by The Office

Nestles had the best company store ever. They owned and mfg’erd not just Nestles candies but owned Stauffers, Libby’s, Carnation etc. They had taste testers and I was asked a number of times to test newly proposed chocolate products. They had an almond roasting room that was so good, hot cocoa powder area, chocolate liquor tanks, chocolate bar area, butterscotch etc morsel area, fascinating packaging machines on and on. The mfg processes were so interesting. Sad that Fulton lost it.
The only redeeming part of driving thru that ****hole Fulton on the way to Syracuse was smelling the Nestles on the way by.

I kid about the ****hole part. That was just for JOC44. My pediatrician was in the city with a future. And the legendary Mimi's. And B&T Sports. And Carvel. And I had a really fun time at Chubby's once for a Christmas party, so it's not all bad.
When I was in college, my buddy worked at Miller and would bring home the quart bottles that didn't pass inspection and any others. Needless to say, we drank a lot of free Miller.

My favorite memory of Fulton was the Salvation Army store. As a college student, we would love the "nice" stuff we could get for a couple bucks. I scored a wool dress coat that was part of my Halloween costume when I dressed up as Harpo Marx. This was probably 1980 and that might have been the last time anyone dressed up like Harpo Marx.

I kid about the ****hole part. That was just for JOC44. My pediatrician was in the city with a future. And the legendary Mimi's. And B&T Sports. And Carvel. And I had a really fun time at Chubby's once for a Christmas party, so it's not all bad.
Was Mimi's in Fulton? It seems like that was across the street from my high school in Mexico. Maybe there was a couple of them, sort of rings a bell. I do remember the skating rink, the youth group at our church used to go there once a month on Fridays until the one in Central Square opened up.

Hey! My beloved city of Gloversville is being besmirched. I, SU class of 1964, and my father before me, SU class of 1926, are Gloversville people. I've been here all my life. A lot of SU grads and fans here. Let me tell you some things about Gloversville. There are Gloversville and Syracuse U connections.

But first, I know Sno Kone Joe - he lives a few houses away from me, and he is a nice guy who is protective of his business, as we all would be. Mr Ding-A-Ling is owned by an out-of-towner so I always give my business to the Gloversville fellow, Sno Kone Joe, to help the local economy. I also give my business to his Gloversville competitor, Mr Pop Pop, a friend who has great chocolate ice cream tacos. If a parade goes by my house (I live on the local parade route), I'll let Mr Pop Pop set up on my lawn. Please don't tell Sno Kone Joe about this, as I don't want any trouble.

More about G-ville, as we call it. At one time, it was a very prosperous community. As our name suggests, we had the world's glove industry here. My grandpa on my mother's side manufactured gloves. Why did the city become the center of the world's glove industry. Because of forests of hemlock trees, which produces bark used in the tanning process. Because of many deer for deerskin gloves. Because of an abundance of soft water. Soft for the best tanning.

G-ville and SU connection #1. As for the water, G-ville is in Fulton County which is known as the Land of 44 Lakes. We have a lot of water bodies but 44 may not be exactly right. You see, the G-ville advertising professional who coined the phrase tried to count the lakes but gave up. For instance, is a "pond" or is a man-made "reservoir" really a "lake?" He had trouble with the count but needed a number. Then, as he told me, he thought of his favorite SU football players, Brown, Davis, and Little, all wearing 44. He decided "That's it, 44 Lakes." So we are the Land of 44 Lakes, all because of SUs illustrious 44s, even though 44 lakes is not exactly true. Most locals believe we have 44 lakes, but I just gave you the true story. Just don't tell anybody, as I don't want any trouble.

G-ville and SU connection #2. There is a mural on an outside wall of the Huntington Beard Crouse Hall. It is The Passion of Sacco and Vanzetti, by noted artist Ben Shahn. It is a work of art on a side of a building. Among the several people instrumental in obtaining this for the SU campus was a G-ville person who knew Shahn. The mural would not be there if not for this person, whose daughter attended SU. It is dedicated to the memory of a young man killed in an accident while an SU student; the G-ville person was a friend of that family who live in our twin city of Johnstown NY.

G-ville and SU connection #3. SU has the Schine Student Center. The Schines were Gloversville people, very successful in the movie theater and hotel business. Their daughter, also very successful, SU class 1950, was the benefactor of the building, dedicated to her parents. Our families were acquainted and her parents and mine are buried in a Gloversville cemetery in plots next to each other.

So, Gloversville, which can be a nice place to live, is a bit downtrodden, but had a proud past, and some interesting connections to Syracuse U.
You had me at besmirched. Jump into the conversation more often at a minimum to provide updates on the great Snow Kone Joe! :p

Is Green Lakes still bottomless? When I was a kid my grandfather would take me fishing there. He always warned me not to go further in than ankle deep, because I would fall in and never reach the bottom.

Come to think of it I’m not sure my grandfather could swim. Maybe he was just trying to save himself the aggravation of a water rescue.

Was Mimi's in Fulton? It seems like that was across the street from my high school in Mexico. Maybe there was a couple of them, sort of rings a bell. I do remember the skating rink, the youth group at our church used to go there once a month on Fridays until the one in Central Square opened up.
Yeah, the Mimi's in Fulton is still there. My parents still occasionally go there for breakfast. I believe it is either for sale or has recently sold. I was disappointed when the one in Mexico burned down and never rebuilt. I felt like I lost a piece of my childhood. The novelty of getting a milkshake after a test during regents week was cool. When did you go to Mexico?

When the subject of local bars comes up I remember a bar/dance place that I never hear anyone mention, Dutchman's ... off of Rt 370 between Liverpool and Baldwinsville. I know they shut down quite a while ago. I may be the only person alive that remembers that place?

Utica is well under appreciated for its native foods - it should be seen as a place for foodies but I don’t see much effort to market it as such. Some folks don’t know what they’ve got and how special it is
I was actually just telling my college friend’s mother how I’m slowly realizing how lucky I was to grow up in the Utica/Rome area when it comes to food.

I get yelled at when I go see friends in Boston and don’t bring a tray of riggies

I was actually just telling my college friend’s mother how I’m slowly realizing how lucky I was to grow up in the Utica/Rome area when it comes to food.

I get yelled at when I go see friends in Boston and don’t bring a tray of riggies
Riggies done right are the best. Utica Greens are another. The pizza dough if salty enough is yet another.

Yeah, the Mimi's in Fulton is still there. My parents still occasionally go there for breakfast. I believe it is either for sale or has recently sold. I was disappointed when the one in Mexico burned down and never rebuilt. I felt like I lost a piece of my childhood. The novelty of getting a milkshake after a test during regents week was cool. When did you go to Mexico?
I graduated in 1986, many years ago now. I was on the track and cross country teams.

The city that amazes me the most is Amsterdam. What a dump, but there has been a huge influx of distribution centers where a lot of people must work and get paid somewhat decent for a dumpy town. They must, otherwise how can a town of 18,000 people, plus of course the surrounding areas, including Gloversville, Johnstown, Fonda, Futonville, support so many retailers such as Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart, Target, Tractor Supply, Kohls, Marshall's.
My family moved from Clifton Park to Johnstown when I was 15 in 1991. It was quite a culture shock. The area was already extremely depressed. I have not been back in years, but my understanding is things have not improved much. I know they’ve had some success luring industries. It is a cool area with lots of history and beautiful landscapes. I hope there are glory days ahead.

Cold? Oneida Lake water is spa warm compared to Skaneateles Lake. Oneida is pretty shallow, only a max of around 55 feet deep while Skaneateles is around 310 feet deep. Oneida being that shallow, warms and freezes pretty quickly. Finger Lakes like Seneca, Cayuga that are even deeper than Skaneateles rarely freeze and are very slow to warm up.
Yeah, like you said, Oneida lake is like a spa, especially when you grew up swimming in Lake Ontario

Oh yeah, I remember fresh Carvel ice cream cakes. So much better than what's in the stores now.

Was your Pediatrician Dr. Trust?
Dude...there's memory lane.
Ice cream cakes from Carvel for your birthday were a treat.
Dr. Trust was my sisters and my Pediatrician for our childhood. It's arguable that I wouldn't be here now if not for him.

My Grandma worked at Nestle at one point. As a former employee she could get candy bars dirt cheap from the store. She didn't have much money, but every christmas that's what she gave all of her kids' families as christmas presents. It was awesome.
Ha, my Grandma would bring us 1 or 2 gallon bags (they were huge) of the rice crispies used in Nestle Crisp bars along w/ the 5 lb bars of chocolate during the holidays. You've jarred some dusty memories off the shelf. Thx!