OT: Pretty funny. Top 10 trashiest places to live in NYS | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Pretty funny. Top 10 trashiest places to live in NYS

Sylvan Beach has to be on that list doesn't it?? It was a fun place to drink as a kid but even I called it The White Trash Riviera, and I was total white trash lol

How dare you!

j/k. I grew up 12 minutes from Sylvan Beach and both of my parents lived there as middle and high schoolers. The Sylvan Beach kids at school usually stuck out, not in the good way.

Dude...there's memory lane.
Ice cream cakes from Carvel for your birthday were a treat.
Dr. Trust was my sisters and my Pediatrician for our childhood. It's arguable that I wouldn't be here now if not for him.
He was/is a legend. I know he continued to teach at a hospital after he retired. My sister told me about all the people that lined up to see him when he retired. I'd be surprised is there was ever a doctor more loved than him.

Having had to live in Elmira during the worst 4 year stretch of my life it should be number one on the list. I have some relatives who live there that I dearly love but I wish they’d get the hell out. It’s a brutally awful and depressing place.

Think back to what Buffalo/Binghamton/ Elmira/etc were like in say…1971 (admittedly some you have to go back a decade earlier). Compare to now. Personally I’ve gotten tired of articles that talk negatively about places in the US. The reality is most of the country looks fairly close to the better favelas I used to drive past in Brazil when I was working there, instead of showing the prosperity they did a couple generations ago.

America has been steadily dying throughout my lifetime, and with our current financial situation total collapse in my lifetime is possible - maybe probable. Articles talking about how crappy significant portions of the US are now should scare the hell out of people more than they do - we are in deep, deep trouble.

Apparently Canada is on fire and going up in smoke and you are complaining about America?

I had more than one old viena aka skunk pis*. Young and dumb and didn't care.
Nothing wrong with these.

Attachments

• download (6).jpeg
    download (6).jpeg
    11.5 KB · Views: 53
I lived on OV splits back in the day.
Yep and didn't take long to burn through a bunch of them either. Get buzzed on Splits my friends older brother would get us and dunk competition on the low dunk hoop he had in the driveway. Good times!

94 is 8 years after. I think my one brother graduated must have been 93 because he is 7 years younger than me. My other brother would have been 96.
My sister was '97. Then she ended up teaching there until this last year when went to another district to take an assistant principal position.

He was/is a legend. I know he continued to teach at a hospital after he retired. My sister told me about all the people that lined up to see him when he retired. I'd be surprised is there was ever a doctor more loved than him.
Dr Trust lived and had a practice in Syracuse too. He’s still advising students at Upstate. There were some great pediatricians in Syracuse back then - Trust, Roberts, Charles, Cassady etc.

Dr Trust lived and had a practice in Syracuse too. He’s still advising students at Upstate. There were some great pediatricians in Syracuse back then - Trust, Roberts, Charles, Cassidy etc.
I never knew he had a practice in Syracuse. I thought Oswego County had him all to ourselves.

I lived on OV splits back in the day.
Splits and a bucket of Rolling Rocks made a start to the evening in our late teens early 20s... When I went to college in WNY that changed to Koch's Golden Anny...Had a guy sleeping on our couch for a couple of months and he paid us w/ a case/wk - 30 packs at the time, I think, of Koch's which amounted to about $20 or something like that for low frills swill.

When I lived in Saranac Lake there was a kid from Saratoga who killed a deer with a crossbow in the middle of the street downtown

I’ve lived in seven states. I’m currently in Reno/Tahoe Nevada. Personally, I think living out west is better, but there is trash all over this country. Very few people save money, and the obesity, and mental health/addiction issues are severe. Some cities I’ve been people flock there from depressed places like upstate NY, or upper Michigan. They want to be there. I meet a lot of people in Nevada that are from someplace they hated and most people I meet want to be out here. Syracuse isn’t necessarily a destination, there is quite a bit of hopelessness in the area, and in upstate NY. But there is upside and potential. There are a lot of small towns that people are stuck because of their situation, choices, health, lack of opportunity ect. I feel like Syracuse has declined from the years I was a kid in the 1980s to where it is now. Population stats say it has as well. I think it’s a great place, and obviously it has the Orange. The greatest fans on the planet. That’s a common bond in the community that you just don’t see around the country. Upstate NY is unique because of it. Wanna talk trashy people, let’s talk Nova, or UConn fans.

The call it the Burlington of the West, instead of Subarus they drive Nissan Altimas and instead of getting high off of maple syrup they do meth.
Your consistency has been extremely on point lately. A true testament to what’s possible here.

I’ve lived in seven states. I’m currently in Reno/Tahoe Nevada. Personally, I think living out west is better, but there is trash all over this country. Very few people save money, and the obesity, and mental health/addiction issues are severe. Some cities I’ve been people flock there from depressed places like upstate NY, or upper Michigan. They want to be there. I meet a lot of people in Nevada that are from someplace they hated and most people I meet want to be out here. Syracuse isn’t necessarily a destination, there is quite a bit of hopelessness in the area, and in upstate NY. But there is upside and potential. There are a lot of small towns that people are stuck because of their situation, choices, health, lack of opportunity ect. I feel like Syracuse has declined from the years I was a kid in the 1980s to where it is now. Population stats say it has as well. I think it’s a great place, and obviously it has the Orange. The greatest fans on the planet. That’s a common bond in the community that you just don’t see around the country. Upstate NY is unique because of it. Wanna talk trashy people, let’s talk Nova, or UConn fans.
I love CNY in the summers. I moved mostly to get away from the winters, but I know others that loved the winters. The job situation has been bad for a while. I think it's a little like that in most places, it's just been worse in the northeast and midwest where manufacturing was so big for so long. But even in a growing area where I live now, Knoxville, TN, you see such wealth disparity. Either people have really good professional jobs or poor paying jobs where they scrape by. There just aren't the middle class jobs there used to be.

Last edited:
Your consistency has been extremely on point lately. A true testament to what’s possible here.
It’s the marijuana. After 11pm or so I really don’t know what’s happening or have control what I’m typing.

Side note, I’ve been following the Subaru subreddit after it was suggested to me, you people are as bad as the Jeep folk.