OT Question about St. Patricks Day being on a Sunday | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT Question about St. Patricks Day being on a Sunday

If you want to see an over the top St. Patrick's Day celebration, come to Savannah. The Irish were one of the major ethnic groups that founded the city.
Townie talks about green beer, Savannah puts green food coloring in one to the major fountains in the city. They have the largest St. Pats' parade in the USA outside of NYC. Wall to wall amatuer drunks.
You will not find me anywhere near the center of Savannah on Saturday which is parade day.

Last year I went to Pittsburgh for the first and second round games. Well we had a hotel room for Thursday and Friday night and were leaving right from the arena Saturday to get home Saturday night. Obviously Thursday and Friday we had our car at the hotel so there was not a problem. Well Saturday was GD St Patty's Day (something that didnt cross my mind because I could care less) and we had to actually drive to the arena (or as close as we could get) and park our car so we could just leave after.

Well there was the freaking parade that day. Trying to get to the arena through that nightmare of a parade was literally almost impossible. To throw a monkey wrench into it Biden decides to make an appearance. We literally could not cross over a street that we needed to cross because of this stupid parade. Secret service were everywhere and were not letting people cross. Finally my buddy and I just bolted across the street when we saw an opening and made our way to the arena. Throw in about 500 people asking me why we were in orange as opposed to green and I wanted to strangle somebody.

Okay, passive-aggressive. I guess the same could be said about an individual from South Boston going to M-Hill back in the day. Anyways, I was mainly refering to elder relatives and what have you...a different generation of Italians, etc. and that they didn't fear anyone, that's all. In all fairness, you obviously have no knowledge of its past...I, today, am too old to do such a foolish thing as you suggest, wouldn't have even thought about it in my younger days, especially in the heart/capital of such a dominant/strong ethnic area. No different than I wouldn't expect you walking alone on the South side of Chicago or North and/or East St. Louis at night.

Hey, I was reacting to the provocation represented by wearing orange on St. Pats Day. My point was and remains "Why do it?". Growing up in NJ as I did --- in an era when being "tough" was very important --- my "bad idea" alarm goes of when I hear about stuff like this. Seems to me there is always someone who wants to take up a challenge ... especially with a bellyful of green beer in them.

If you grew up in or near an ethnic neighborhood --- as you seem to suggest --- you know exactly what I'm talking about.

I've seen too much. I know the threat is real.

I don't know anything about the South side of Chicago or East St Louis ... but I don't like going into West Baltimore or Anacostia in DC in bright daylight. Seems like I am unnecessarily tempting fate.

This thread =

get-off-my-lawn.jpg

Hey, I was reacting to the provocation represented by wearing orange on St. Pats Day. My point was and remains "Why do it?". Growing up in NJ as I did --- in an era when being "tough" was very important --- my "bad idea" alarm goes of when I hear about stuff like this. Seems to me there is always someone who wants to take up a challenge ... especially with a bellyful of green beer in them.
If you grew up in or near an ethnic neighborhood --- as you seem to suggest --- you know exactly what I'm talking about.

I've seen too much. I know the threat is real.

I don't know anything about the South side of Chicago or East St Louis ... but I don't like going into West Baltimo.

Ha! That's in the Hall of Fame of Bad Ideas. Provoking a crowd that likes a good fist fight anyway.

After you get through doing that you might want to consider driving through Alabama with that "NASCAR Sucks" bumper sticker.

Seriously? I have ALWAYS wear Orange on St. Patty day. Always. I am not Italian. It has nothing to do with Italy. It all the Scottish blood.

In fact, the reason I wear Orange on St. Pattys is the same reason Syracuse University does. That is, from William of Orange of Willaim and Mary fame.

FWIW, I have never ever had anyone give me any serious with it on and I have worn Orange in Coleman's several times for the St. Patty breakfast.

Seriously? I have ALWAYS wear Orange on St. Patty day. Always. I am not Italian. It has nothing to do with Italy. It all the Scottish blood.

In fact, the reason I wear Orange on St. Pattys is the same reason Syracuse University does. That is, from William of Orange of Willaim and Mary fame.

FWIW, I have never ever had anyone give me any serious with it on and I have worn Orange in Coleman's several times for the St. Patty breakfast.

I think wearing Orange in Syracuse has been deemed acceptable for any occasion - St. Patty's Day, job interviews, funerals, etc.

You do realize the significance of Orange in Ireland (particularly Northern Ireland) right? It is the color of the Protestant loyalists. You might wear orange once in Ireland on St. Pat's Day, once.

What is St. Patricks Day?
I believe that's when normal people set aside one day a year to do what we do every day to remember why they don't.

I tried a role reversal once, after 10 minutes of American Idol I experienced the same effect.

Let me see if I have this straight.

You wear Orange on St Pats and you really understand why the color is so offensive to the Irish and bring up the name of the arch-enemy of Catholic Ireland. I'll give you an "A" for your knowledge of history and for sticking to your ethnic guns. Most are clueless. But you actually get it.

But then you say you stroll into Coleman's to help celebrate St. Pats. Do you see the contradiction in this?

I guessing your intention is to just have some fun assuming that no one is serious about any of this Green vs. Orange stuff anyway. And I can sympathize with that.

But if you really understood the history, I don't think you'd be quite so flip. The English occupation of Ireland has been as brutal as any in history. The mass immigration of the Irish in the 18th C. was caused, they say, by the Potato Famine. And that's true. But there was plenty of other food being grown there. Guess where it was shipped to. The English literally starved the Irish to death.

People say that one of the problems with the US is that we don't know our own history. In Ireland, I sometimes think that history is all they know. Ask any Irish kid over 12 what the Battle of Boyne (1690) was. (Your boy, William of Orange was in it). I'll bet the kid knows.

As a matter of principle, I try not to offend people when I understand what I am doing.

You do realize the significance of Orange in Ireland (particularly Northern Ireland) right? It is the color of the Protestant loyalists. You might wear orange once in Ireland on St. Pat's Day, once.

Not necessarily so. The recognized grave site of St. Patrick is in a Protestant church yard in Northern Ireland. Also, the national flag of Ireland has exactly as much orange in it as it does green.

http://www.irishtourism.com/historic-sites-buildings-in-ireland/st-patrick-s-grave/1423

Let me see if I have this straight.

You wear Orange on St Pats and you really understand why the color is so offensive to the Irish and bring up the name of the arch-enemy of Catholic Ireland. I'll give you an "A" for your knowledge of history and for sticking to your ethnic guns. Most are clueless. But you actually get it.

But then you say you stroll into Coleman's to help celebrate St. Pats. Do you see the contradiction in this?

I guessing your intention is to just have some fun assuming that no one is serious about any of this Green vs. Orange stuff anyway. And I can sympathize with that.

But if you really understood the history, I don't think you'd be quite so flip. The English occupation of Ireland has been as brutal as any in history. The mass immigration of the Irish in the 18th C. was caused, they say, by the Potato Famine. And that's true. But there was plenty of other food being grown there. Guess where it was shipped to. The English literally starved the Irish to death.

People say that one of the problems with the US is that we don't know our own history. In Ireland, I sometimes think that history is all they know. Ask any Irish kid over 12 what the Battle of Boyne (1690) was. (Your boy, William of Orange was in it). I'll bet the kid knows.

As a matter of principle, I try not to offend people when I understand what I am doing.

My point is most people at Coleman's have no idea either, hence no one is offended.

It started when I was told in 2rd Grade by Mrs. St. Couer I was not allowed to wear Green on St. Patrick's day because I wasn't Irish. So I asked my grandfather about all that and he told me of the MacDonald clan and that I, being of Scootish blood, should wear Orange.

Oh absolutely. I wore it just to spite everyone wearing green.
Nothing wrong with that. We're just honoring another color of the Irish flag.

Not necessarily so. The recognized grave site of St. Patrick is in a Protestant church yard in Northern Ireland. Also, the national flag of Ireland has exactly as much orange in it as it does green.

http://www.irishtourism.com/historic-sites-buildings-in-ireland/st-patrick-s-grave/1423
St. Patrick died well before the Reformation. There were no Protestants at the time and hence no Protestant cemeteries. His reputed grave is alongside two other Catholic saints in the graveyard of a former Benedictine monastery. The fact that the cathedral is now a Protestant church is irrelevant.

As for wearing orange on St. Pat's day in Ireland - if you don't believe me and would like to try it, be my guest.

My point is most people at Coleman's have no idea either, hence no one is offended.

It started when I was told in 2rd Grade by Mrs. St. Couer I was not allowed to wear Green on St. Patrick's day because I wasn't Irish. So I asked my grandfather about all that and he told me of the MacDonald clan and that I, being of Scootish blood, should wear Orange.

I get it. I really do. St. Patty's has evolved into an excuse to drink. A celebration at which almost no one knows what is being celebrated.

So has Veteran's Day or Armistice Day. So has July 4th and Labor Day.

What I would worry about, if I were you, is the one Irishman at Coleman's straight off the boat that takes this stuff seriously.

PS

I have never needed an excuse to drink myself. Although at around 40 I started to make the connection between what I had to drink the previous night and how I felt the next day. Kids and hangovers don't mix, I found out much to my surprise and dismay.

I own an Irish pub in Central NY, and yes we have to wait till noon ish to start serving any alcohol this St. Paddy's day.

I own an Irish pub in Central NY, and yes we have to wait till noon ish to start serving any alcohol this St. Paddy's day.

Good news for the EMTs and insurance companies.

Being a Pub Owner in these days of Mothers Against Drunk Driving, Students Against Drunk Driving, Personal Injury Attorneys on the prowl, cops with portable breathalyzers and cops who watch "Cops" on TV can't be a lot of fun.

St. Patrick died well before the Reformation. There were no Protestants at the time and hence no Protestant cemeteries. His reputed grave is alongside two other Catholic saints in the graveyard of a former Benedictine monastery. The fact that the cathedral is now a Protestant church is irrelevant.

As for wearing orange on St. Pat's day in Ireland - if you don't believe me and would like to try it, be my guest.

The relevancy is that both traditions in Ireland honor St. Patrick, both orange and green. They now have orange parades in Ireland in memory of St. Patrick. Things are changing there.

The relevancy is that both traditions in Ireland honor St. Patrick, both orange and green. They now have orange parades in Ireland in memory of St. Patrick. Things are changing there.

You may be right.

But I stopped in Tralee awhile back, a sleepy town in the West, and there was a storefront office of the IRA across from where I was having lunch.

It would be nice, this coming from a non-ethnic American who has trouble understanding the persistence of the conflict. But, old habits die hard for many. It was just last week that police in Belfast arrested a few guys, allegedly from an IRA splinter, with mortar tubes and shells in a van as they were planning to bomb a police station.

If you want to see an over the top St. Patrick's Day celebration, come to Savannah. The Irish were one of the major ethnic groups that founded the city.
Townie talks about green beer, Savannah puts green food coloring in one to the major fountains in the city. They have the largest St. Pats' parade in the USA outside of NYC. Wall to wall amatuer drunks.
You will not find me anywhere near the center of Savannah on Saturday which is parade day.
love Savannah. St Pats day there is on my bucket list

I'm going to be in the Savannah area this weekend. Should I check it out?
LOL If you are anywhere near downtown Savannah, you won't have a choice! It's a crazy time. The parade alone is almost 4 hours long. Plenty of beer in or around River St. and City Market. 16 oz. plastic cup only or you will get arrested. Wrist bands will be used.

If you plan to go check out this website. http://savannahnow.com/stpatricksday

I hope you have a place to stay as rooms will be at a premium. Good Luck.

Thanks for the clarification Cuse dog, it is appreciated. Dont know why but I thought the last time it was on a Sunday Colemans got some sort of waiver, that appears to not be the case or an option.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom