OT: Sabbath Still Kicking | Syracusefan.com

OT: Sabbath Still Kicking

javadoc

All American
My turn to recount a great concert experience. :D

Saw Sabbath at the Shoreline Amphitheater Monday evening, and they just plain kick ass. "Paranoid" was the third vinyl LP I bought, and I had seen Sabbath with Dio on the "Mob Rules" tour. Also saw Ozzy on the "Diary of a Madman" tour - it was great to put all the pieces together, finally.

The venue was pretty close to sold out, and it was interesting to see a bunch of 40-60 year olds singing along to "War Pigs" and the other classics. There were some controlled substances not entirely under control. The beverage was flowing. The sound was tremendous - loud, crisp, big. Was too far from the stage to see the band with any detail, but the big screen behind the stage had good closeups, especially on Geezer's and Iommi's fret work.

Ozzy's voice was pretty damn good, and Geezer was a force of nature. The edgy pluck on his riffs came through the sound system clearly. Iommi was Iommi, what can I say? The fill-in drummer was competent, a typical beat-the--out-of-it metal guy, technically proficient without a lot of artistry. His solo on "Rat Salad" was impressive, but I would really have loved to hear Bill Ward.

Great moments I'll never forget. Seeing Iommi kick into "Paranoid." Hearing Ozzy belt out "Black Sabbath." Seeing Geezer take his time and savor "Basically" on the way into "N.I.B." They were clearly having fun, and the music was intense. I was exhausted by the end of the fourth song, "Snowblind."

Only disappointment was that they didn't play anything off "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath," which is my favorite album of theirs. Was especially hoping for "A National Acrobat" but alas it was not to be. The new tracks were good - it sounds like they picked right up songwriting from where they left off in the late 70's, with a definite modern flavor.

If you are a Sabbath fan and can get to one of the shows on this tour, do so. They are killing it. Best concert I have seen, just edging out the Iron Maiden / Judas Priest double bill on the "Screaming for Vengeance" tour.

Set list, album order (not concert order):

Black Sabbath:
Black Sabbath
Behind the Wall of Sleep/ Bassically / N.I.B.

Paranoid:
War Pigs (opener)
Fairies Wear Boots
Rat Salad
Iron Man
Paranoid (encore - Iommi started "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" but switched to Paranoid when the vocals would have begun in SBS)

Master of Reality:
Into the Void
Children of the Grave

Vol. 4:
Under the Sun / Every Day Comes and Goes
Snowblind

Technical Ecstasy:
Dirty Women

13:
Age of Reason
End of the Beginning
God Is Dead?

Very jealous, there is one show I'd love to see, but CNY isn't exactly on their itinerary. I too saw OZZY on diary tour, as well as bark, ultimate sin, And retirement sucks tour.

As a drummer, I can tell you Bill Ward's replacement has done a good job on the new album recreating wards sound and style, which for me eased the pain of Ward not joining the reunion.

\m/

As a drummer, I can tell you Bill Ward's replacement has done a good job on the new album recreating wards sound and style, which for me eased the pain of Ward not joining the reunion.
The drummer on the album was from Rage Against the Machine. He is not on the tour, it's a different guy.

Did you have Sabbath blasting in your ears while you were hiking the High Peaks?

Did you have Sabbath blasting in your ears while you were hiking the High Peaks?
Heh - I'm almost a Luddite when it comes to that kind of tech. I only got an iPod last year, and that's the first portable music player of any kind I've had since a walkman back in the late 80's.

Im picturing you carrying a giant boom box over your head Cusak-style up the high peaks now. Amazing

0914-say-anything-john-cusackjpg-51a99893b8641daf_large.jpg

HOW THE HALL HAS IOMMI NOT POSTED IN THIS THREAD YET!!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom