OT: Sat Next to Mike Tirico at dinner tnite | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Sat Next to Mike Tirico at dinner tnite

Jay Wright is not coming here.
we can get Wright. He’s itching to get back into coaching. The others are unlikely mostly because they are in a good situation.

A lot of people want nothing to do with Red or GMAC, but I wonder who they realistically think SU can hire from the outside. No big time coach is coming to Syracuse. A search will lead to a mid level coach being hired. I’m not saying hiring from inside is the way to go, but if fans think a coach from a current Big 5 program is coming here, they are sadly mistaken.

Why not? Aren't we a sleeping giant, with the potential of the program being held back by the apathetic retention of a coach who lost his touch? Or if we aren't, maybe the problems aren't all the old coach's fault?

we can get Wright. He’s itching to get back into coaching. The others are unlikely mostly because they are in a good situation.
You don't have to convince me that we need to do a nationwide search. If Jay Wright is in the weeds, that's perfect. But i'm not convinced Jay Wright is looking.

Why not? Aren't we a sleeping giant, with the potential of the program being held back by the apathetic retention of a coach who lost his touch? Or if we aren't, maybe the problems aren't all the old coach's fault?
From 2008 to 2017 Syracuse basketball had 10 first round draft picks and that isn’t including Jeremi Grant our best current NBA player as a second round pick. This timeframe was Mike Hopkins as the top assistant.

Syracuse biggest problem in basketball has been talent. Recruiting is the coaches job. If the HC doesn’t want to cast a big net or go all out to bring in elite talent then you become mediocre. Syracuse basketball hasn’t recruited as well since Mike Hopkins left. If you don’t think our problems aren’t because of the HC then I don’t know who else it could be caused by.

Syracuse used to have multiple all conference players each year we don’t anymore.
We play like a middle of the conference team just hoping to win a couple of games in the tournament. Not compete for conference or national titles.

We don’t have a current player on the roster who has played a game as a top 25 team during their time at Syracuse. We haven’t been ranked since December 2018.

What else other than the job of the coaching staff could be the cause of this and why would we want to continue with a coach on the staff now who has been here for this slide.

A lot of people want nothing to do with Red or GMAC, but I wonder who they realistically think SU can hire from the outside. No big time coach is coming to Syracuse. A search will lead to a mid level coach being hired. I’m not saying hiring from inside is the way to go, but if fans think a coach from a current Big 5 program is coming here, they are sadly mistaken.
I'm not so sure about that, hoops.

I'm also not so sure that JB will be "ready" to retire at the end of next season.

No big time coach is coming to Syracuse. A search will lead to a mid level coach being hired. I’m not saying hiring from inside is the way to go, but if fans think a coach from a current Big 5 program is coming here, they are sadly mistaken.

I am always curious how you guys know stuff like this with absolute certainty?

Wright left a spot he won 2 NCs and reached 4 final fours because he was burnt out.
He isn’t coming to Syracuse. His legacy is set. He is going to make good money talking on TV. Wright didn’t want to rebuild Villanova and that fanbase would have been fine with a few rebuild years but Wright wasn’t interested.

He will stay in TV or try the NBA if Doc Rivers gets fired from Philly.

We can get a good coach but Wright isn’t coming here. He hasn’t been out one year. He clearly has respect for Coach Boeheim and our program but he is done IMO in college hoops. I wish Coach Boeheim would retire as he clearly enjoys being a HC but his performance has slipped and nobody can tell him that.

This is going on a decade but he won’t retire.

Last edited:
Wright left a spot he won 2 NCs and reached 4 final fours because he was burnt out.
He isn’t coming to Syracuse. His legacy is set. He is going to make good money talking on TV. Wright didn’t want to rebuild Villanova and that fanbase would have been fine with a few rebuild years but Wright wasn’t interested.

He will stay in TV or try the NBA if Doc Rivers gets fired from Philly.

We can get a good coach but Wright isn’t coming here. He hasn’t been out one year. He clearly has respect for Coach Boeheim and our program but he is done IMO in college hoops. I wish Coach Boeheim would retire as he clearly enjoys being a HC but his performance has slipped and nobody can tell him that.

This is going on a decade but he won’t retire.
Jay Wright saw the handwriting on the wall with NIL. A small school like Nova is not going to get the same players he was used to getting. Neither is SU even if Hopkins returned or some other hungry young recruiter. We may do better than what we have experienced lately but it won't return to the glory days.

Question? Do people think Shaka Smart would be a big time hire? He’s about the best kind of hire you may get. I’d be interested to see what coach from the SEC, Big Ten, Big 12, PAC 10, or ACC fans think would come to SU. Feel free to try and name three coaches.

Question? Do people think Shaka Smart would be a big time hire? He’s about the best kind of hire you may get. I’d be interested to see what coach from the SEC, Big Ten, Big 12, PAC 10, or ACC fans think would come to SU. Feel free to try and name three coaches.
No thanks to Shaka. Most of his ncaa wins came in the VCU run. Dude has shown he’s overrated

No thanks to Shaka. Most of his ncaa wins came in the VCU run. Dude has shown he’s overrated
That’s my point. He’s the level that’s out there that might be willing to come to SU. Try to find three names from the major conferences.

That’s my point. He’s the level that’s out there that might be willing to come to SU. Try to find three names from the major conferences.
Everybody other than UNC, Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, UCLA, Michigan, Mich. State, Ohio State, and maybe a few others should be lining up to come here. Top 10 job.

Everybody other than UNC, Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, UCLA, Michigan, Mich. State, Ohio State, and maybe a few others should be lining up to come here. Top 10 job.
Name names? I doubt they would excite us.

We don't know who we can get but also won't find out unless we do a national search. GMac and Red can interview like everyone else. There may be an assistant from another team that impresses JW more than anticipated. There may be a young head coach of a lower level team that's ready to take over a big program. Maybe GMac or Red have the ability to be the guy. If that's the case, they'll have no problem competing with other candidates.