OT: Sat Next to Mike Tirico at dinner tnite | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Sat Next to Mike Tirico at dinner tnite

I don't see how it does.
He trusts K. K has groomed several to go out and try and establish a coaching career. JB, for whatever reasons, has kept his assistants here. If I were JB, I would be talking to K trying to figure out who should come in and be the hero - return SU to National Prominence. We have the history, the brand, the fanbase, and the JMA Dome. We can become iconic again.

He trusts K. K has groomed several to go out and try and establish a coaching career. JB, for whatever reasons, has kept his assistants here. If I were JB, I would be talking to K trying to figure out who should come in and be the hero - return SU to National Prominence. We have the history, the brand, the fanbase, and the JMA Dome. We can become iconic again.
For some reason I highly doubt that JB (we are taking about the same coach right?) is going to ask someone else - who never coached at Syracuse mind you - who the next HC should be.

For some reason I highly doubt that JB (we are taking about the same coach right?) is going to ask someone else - who never coached at Syracuse mind you - who the next HC should be.
K is arguably the greatest College B'Ball Coach of all time - GOAT as they say.

Why wouldn't JB consult with his trusted friend on a very important decision ?

My thoughts? He was smart enough to not give a sh!zz, as the UNC farce investigation proved, the NCAA picks and chooses who they go after and they care not about the athletes. Fab did what every other athlete does, but the tutor was dumb enough to get caught.
If you're smart enough to not give a shizz, you have to be smart enough to not poke the bear. The NCAA picks and chooses who they want to come down on, so don't give them a reason to look your way.

My job isn't all that different. Medicare is the primary payer for most of the patients I see. They approve 60 day certification periods of care and pay all at once. After the care is provided, they choose whether to go back and audit documentation to determine whether it's to their liking. If it's not, they take their money back. There are unwritten rules my industry follows to reduce how much they look at us so that they don't find the one 'I' undotted or 'T' uncrossed that they use to justify taking their money back. It's pretty much a load of crap, because the patients recieve the care regardless, but it's the game we're required to play. JB was around long enough. He knew the game.

K is arguably the greatest College B'Ball Coach of all time - GOAT as they say.

Why wouldn't JB consult with his trusted friend on a very important decision ?
Because this is Jim Boeheim?

If you're smart enough to not give a shizz, you have to be smart enough to not poke the bear. The NCAA picks and chooses who they want to come down on, so don't give them a reason to look your way.

My job isn't all that different. Medicare is the primary payer for most of the patients I see. They approve 60 day certification periods of care and pay all at once. After the care is provided, they choose whether to go back and audit documentation to determine whether it's to their liking. If it's not, they take their money back. There are unwritten rules my industry follows to reduce how much they look at us so that they don't find the one 'I' undotted or 'T' uncrossed that they use to justify taking their money back. It's pretty much a load of crap, because the patients recieve the care regardless, but it's the game we're required to play. JB was around long enough. He knew the game.
Had the investigation came two years later it wouldn’t have mattered and nothing would’ve been done. Syracuse was the NCAAs last stand and they, predictably, lost. Syracuse got treated unfairly to send a message, but other schools ignored it just like Syracuse should’ve.

I find it amusing that people label JAB as stubborn. Usually, the mark of a stubborn coach is one who has his hands in every facet of the program, controlling every detail. That's not him at all.
A head coach ignoring the fans' opinions is not the definition of stubborn.

The HC should trust his staff to insure things are going as they should as far as compliance goes. It's my impression, given no b'ball staff was let go after the sanctions, that there was a massive breakdown in the organization - specifically who was accountable for what.

AD Gross was held accountable and lost his job as a result but no one on the basketball staff was punished. Maybe its just me but that seems hard to believe.

Some here say that the sanctions are more targeted to JB's arrogance regarding the NCAA but I think its more because he did not want to hold his own people accountable - fall on the sword as they say is noble for sure. Who knows. If he cleaned house then maybe our program would be in a different trajectory now.
I think some people are really hands on with things, wanting constant feed back and updates from subordinates whereas others expect people to do their job without baby sitting. I've gotten the impression from people that seem to know what they're talking about that JB is definitely the latter. That's all fine, but those people better be doing what they're supposed to or it'll come back to bite you.

I think Gross was held accountable because there were other parts of his job he wasn't doing well and he didn't have many friends. JB built the program and had a ton of equity with the powers within to draw from. Had he been a 10 year guy with moderate success, he doesn't have the equity to stick around.

I find it amusing that people label JAB as stubborn. Usually, the mark of a stubborn coach is one who has his hands in every facet of the program, controlling every detail. That's not him at all.
A head coach ignoring the fans' opinions is not the definition of stubborn.
You can be stubbornly hands off the same as you can stubbornly micromanage. Stubborn just means you're unwilling to change how you've chosen to think or act.

I think some people are really hands on with things, wanting constant feed back and updates from subordinates whereas others expect people to do their job without baby sitting. I've gotten the impression from people that seem to know what they're talking about that JB is definitely the latter. That's all fine, but those people better be doing what they're supposed to or it'll come back to bite you.

I think Gross was held accountable because there were other parts of his job he wasn't doing well and he didn't have many friends. JB built the program and had a ton of equity with the powers within to draw from. Had he been a 10 year guy with moderate success, he doesn't have the equity to stick around.
I agree on how JB manages. Its a good approach in my opinion. The thing that was weird was that no one on his staff was let go during/after the investigations.

Just do the sensible thing and get Pitino. Have him bring in a staff of high upside assistants with the plan to develop one as the next guy.

I know, I know, people are going to say Pitino's past disqualified him.

Well, we're the institution that didn't terminate a coach for two separate NCAA violations.

If we think we're above Pitino, a, we're not, and b, we're hypocritical for being selectively moral.
We will have to buy him out from Georgetown

:(

Hiring one of Coach K's best players/coaches does not put us into 1977 standards. It does however continue the legacy and story of our HOFHC.

So you think the decision on who the next coach will be is JBs decision?

Marv eventually graduated from NYU and really doesn’t embrace his SU roots lately, always hesitant and against coming back for broadcasting alum events/honors, it's his prerogative, can't force him if he feels that way. When he did ECAC games in the 70s with Bucky Waters he always touted his SU days and background but not so much later on.
I hired Marv, when he was “Marvelous Marv” Albert and the night time DJ on WOLF in the early 60’s. He used to advertise on the radio he would DJ a record hop. My club at West Genesee decided to hire him for a dance. I was selected to call him. I did (still remember the number) called and hired him for $40. He promoted the heck out of the dance and lots of kids paid 50 cents each to go to the dance which was held at Split Rock School. Marv brought two black bands with him and the evening was a success
One other note: Mike Messere, future Lacrosse Hall of Fame inductee played bass guitar for a WG band called the Nitecaps, whom I paid $8.00

My bad. Forgot about him. I was referring to the coaching staff though.

He will have input.

He will not have "significant" input.

Nor should he.
"He will not have "significant" input.

Nor should he."

Why do you say that ?

Why do you say that like you know its for certain ?