OT: Tailgate preferences | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Tailgate preferences

Yuengling's a good compromise...not too expensive, very drinkable, and doesn't taste like piss water.

Except cans>bottles at tailgates, and drinking yuengling out of a can is punishable by death.

Yuengling's a good compromise...not too expensive, very drinkable, and doesn't taste like piss water.
Yet somehow we always end up pounding liquor like idiots. Remember that time we passed around the liter of Fireball in a circle until it was gone before the Louisville game? Me either.

Go with the locals Labatt's Blue, Molson Canadien or on a lark, Genny Bock. IMHO it is Genny's finest product and cheap as hell.

Yet somehow we always end up pounding liquor like idiots. Remember that time we passed around the liter of Fireball in a circle until it was gone before the Louisville game? Me either.

We did the same thing at my tailgate, before the BC game. Warmed the belly, numbed the mind.

Go with the locals Labatt's Blue, Molson Canadien or on a lark, Genny Bock. IMHO it is Genny's finest product and cheap as hell.

Locals? Utica Club/Saranac = Utica, NY. Syracuse Pale = Syracuse, NY ( about a mile from the Dome). Can't get much more local than that!

PS: I don't have a problem with your beer selection; just a slight one with what you're calling "local".

Locals? Utica Club/Saranac = Utica, NY. Syracuse Pale = Syracuse, NY ( about a mile from the Dome). Can't get much more local than that!

PS: I don't have a problem with your beer selection; just a slight one with what you're calling "local".

I think by local, he means what is most popular to drink in the Syracuse area. I've never seen UC in a bar outside of Utica or Syracuse Pale Ale outside of the craft beer section in Wegmans.

Bud Light is made 12 miles down the road in Radisson. Company HQ may not be local but those 900+ jobs certainly are.

I think by local, he means what is most popular to drink in the Syracuse area. I've never seen UC in a bar outside of Utica or Syracuse Pale Ale outside of the craft beer section in Wegmans.

Bud Light is made 12 miles down the road in Radisson. Company HQ may not be local but those 900+ jobs certainly are.

Syracuse Pale Ale is everywhere. Ask what's on tap next time you go out. One of the newer places, Revolutions maybe, serves it renamed as it own brand.

Ok for you cheap beer guys, if you want super cheap but not nasty beer then check out Big Flats 1901 Premium Lager. It is a walgreen's exclusive brewed by Genny. It goes for $3.00 a sixer. That's right, $12 for a case. It started as a joke between us beer snobs when one of us saw it, then one of my friends decided we all needed to try Walgreen's beer. It's surprisingly drinkable. I brought it to the ball game one night and the cheap beer guys said it tastes alot like Pabst and they all thanked me for introducing them to it. If you guys are going to go cheap, the F-IT go get some Big Flats! Seriously it's not horrible but still an adjunct and not on my radar.

Ok for you cheap beer guys, if you want super cheap but not nasty beer then check out Big Flats 1901 Premium Lager. It is a walgreen's exclusive brewed by Genny. It goes for $3.00 a sixer. That's right, $12 for a case. It started as a joke between us beer snobs when one of us saw it, then one of my friends decided we all needed to try Walgreen's beer. It's surprisingly drinkable. I brought it to the ball game one night and the cheap beer guys said it tastes alot like Pabst and they all thanked me for introducing them to it. If you guys are going to go cheap, the F-IT go get some Big Flats! Seriously it's not horrible but still an adjunct and not on my radar.
I grew up in Big Flats, NY, and this beer was on Colbert Report. It's such a bargain.

Man, now I need to find a Walgreen's near me!

northacuse said:
Man, now I need to find a Walgreen's near me!

I stopped at one on my way home and they didn't have it...

Last edited:
We could just act like WFVU and rip bath salts before the games. No drinks necessary. Let the skin-ripping commence.

Magic Hat is brewed in Vermont and only in Vermont.
MagicHat9_0411.jpg

Can Name:: Magic Hat #9
Brewery Name:: Magic Hat Bottling Co. Rochester, NY
Can Size:: 12 oz.

MagicHat9_0411.jpg

Can Name:: Magic Hat #9
Brewery Name:: Magic Hat Bottling Co. Rochester, NY
Can Size:: 12 oz.

Great color for SU tailgating! Goes on my list along with Utica Club and Syracuse Pail Ale.

LaBatt's Blue/Light is my "go to" beer to serve the masses. I can get a 30 pack for the price of 2-6 packs of blueberry infused porter wit craft brew.

BTW, I saw Shiner Bock at the Price Chopper in Watertown a few weeks ago. I see that coming to the Fine Lot this Fall. If TM offers you a Shiner Bock: Do not refuse him and be grateful you are deemed worthy.

When I go down to Texas to visit my family every year, I make sure to drink copius amounts of Shiner.

On topic, my go to for crappy light beer is Labatt. Its relatively cheap, and I consider it a (small) step above bud light. Don't get me wrong, I have no issue pounding down crappy beer. But I do enjoy my crafts. There is a time and place for both.

If you're looking for another good choice for the masses, Linenkugel's Summer shandy is also a decent because it is a beer that non-beer drinkers still usually can drink, and isn't terribly offensive to the rest of us.

When I go down to Texas to visit my family every year, I make sure to drink copius amounts of Shiner.

On topic, my go to for crappy light beer is Labatt. Its relatively cheap, and I consider it a (small) step above bud light. Don't get me wrong, I have no issue pounding down crappy beer. But I do enjoy my crafts. There is a time and place for both.

If you're looking for another good choice for the masses, Linenkugel's Summer shandy is also a decent because it is a beer that non-beer drinkers still usually can drink, and isn't terribly offensive to the rest of us.

I was going to buy some of that this summer to try (Linenkugel's Summer shandy). If I can get a good deal on it...I'll stock it at a few of the early season tailgates.

I was going to buy some of that this summer to try (Linenkugel's Summer shandy). If I can get a good deal on it...I'll stock it at a few of the early season tailgates.

Their Shandy is made from wheat beer which i don't care for. If anyone else is in that boat, Saranac Shandy is made from a lager instead of wheat beer. I think it's pretty good, great for kickball games in the 80s and 90s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom