OT: "There is nothing finer... | Syracusefan.com

OT: "There is nothing finer...

Moontan

2017 ESPN College Bowl Pick’em Winner
than Duke - Caroliner..." ugh

With Duke in the state that it is, is Dookie V's statement still true?"

One could argue that Kansas-Oklahoma is better these days...

Duke-Carolina has gone the way of Red Sox-Yankees for me.
I am Red Sox fan and used to care about the Yankees but now I really think the rivary is overrated. I don't really care about those games anymore than other games.

Carolina-Duke is a good rivalry and probably the best in college basketball but the sport doesn't really matter nationally outside of March.

I am Red Sox fan and used to care about the Yankees but now I really think the rivary is overrated. I don't really care about those games anymore than other games.

Carolina-Duke is a good rivalry and probably the best in college basketball but the sport doesn't really matter nationally outside of March.
Yeah, used to be I'd make certain I was seated somewhere with other basketball fans or isolated alone from all other distractions to watch these games. Now, if I see it, okay, but if I miss it who cares... Game is too hyped and the announcing of this game will be nauseating... a battle of the chief criers of the league... Williams or K... personally, I guess I'll root for NC, though it is not beneficial for my team if they win; but my disdain and loathing of Duke supersedes all else right now...

Fine - I'll hype it. Two legends on opposing benches coaching powerhouses 11 miles apart. Teams play through every whistle. Once those 2 go they'll never be replaced by guys of their ilk.

Fine - I'll hype it. Two legends on opposing benches coaching powerhouses 11 miles apart. Teams play through every whistle. Once those 2 go they'll never be replaced by guys of their ilk.
That's what they said about Dean Smith as well. ;)

in any truly great rivalry records don't matter. this game always matters to their fans.

Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, North Carolina will always be fine.

Duke will have its choices from the K tree to find an elite coach.

Kansas/Kentucky/North Carolina recruit for themselves when done properly.

The Duke/UNC rivalry is stale though outside of those programs and fanbases. Red Sox-Yankees used to be able to get national audiences to care now it can't draw outside the Northeast.

Defending national champions and a 17th ranked RPI. You mean that state?
Losing 4 of 5, dropping out of the rankings and having their followers in a panicked state. That's the state that I meant. ;)

They still have a tough road ahead of them: UNCheat twice, @Loowaville, @Pitt, vs FSU... we'll see how it goes.

Yeah, I'll agree with this even though I have no love loss for either program. I think people have gotten sick of rivalries to an extent b/c of the endless media hype around everything (this game included). But ultimately, with all the conference realignment, there are few if any true rivalries left. I still miss playing G'town every year (especially when it mattered in conference play) even though I realize maybe it was watered down from the JTII/JB era. I still go the BE tournament every year even though we don't play in that conference. For me, at least, I think it's cool when teams with actual histories and geographical proximity play a game that matters.

When the Sox and the Yanks are both good at the same time, and a fight breaks out in one of their games, you will be back and forget that you were ever thinking that the two weren't arch rivals.

Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, North Carolina will always be fine.

Duke will have its choices from the K tree to find an elite coach.

Kansas/Kentucky/North Carolina recruit for themselves when done properly.

The Duke/UNC rivalry is stale though outside of those programs and fanbases. Red Sox-Yankees used to be able to get national audiences to care now it can't draw outside the Northeast.
Keeping it in the "tree" can be problematic. It took UNC 3 tries (as noted above) to find the right one. None of K's disciples has yet shown that he is the man.

Which begs the question re: the SU situation. Keep your fingers crossed.

Well, in his 3 years as coach, he took UNC to the FF twice.

continued the program with Dean Smith's guys (Jamison/Carter). Once his own recruits starting in...yikes.

1st year: FF
2nd year: First round loss
3rd year: FF

When did his recruits start eliciting 'yikes'?

Edit: I think the better choice for the argument you're making would be hoping Hop isn't our Craig Escherick. :eek:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom