OT: This is insane... | Syracusefan.com

OT: This is insane...

cto

Administrator
A lacrosse player has committed to Maryland following his 8th grade season at a Rockland high school.

He still has four years of high school lacrosse ahead of him. Do colleges really think that what a kid does in 8th grade is that good a predictor of how he'll match up against kids his own age four years from now?

And does a 13-year-old kid really know where he wants to attend college?

Maybe college recruiting really IS getting out of hand.

http://armonk.dailyvoice.com/sports...-2019-hudson-valley-athlete-to-commit/610780/

This sort of thing has been going on for years. I remember a couple of twins from the Pacific Northwest committing to UNC when they were still in the ninth grade. They never made it to Chapel Hill. Among other things, just because a kid says he's committing to a particular school doesn't necessarily mean that the school has offered him anything. Only the player can comment on it. The school has to remain mum. If I am not mistaken, written offers (which are the only REAL offers) cannot be extended to a prospect until September or October of his or her junior year in high school. The kid you cite might end up at Maryland, but I imagine the odds are 50 to 1 that it happens.

The whole recruiting process has become absurd, we did the same thing with Waiters.

The whole recruiting process has become absurd, we did the same thing with Waiters.

Waiters was a sophomore which was crazy enough.

This 8th grader probably hasnt gotten past 2nd base.

I played basketball in 7th grade with a 5'11" kid who could dunk. I saw him while I was at SU. He was still 5'11".

YOu should not be allowed to verbally commit until you are a Jr, minimum.

it's fine with me to criticize, but as su fans let's not act like our program(s) would somehow be above any recruiting tactic that could bring us better players.

Waiters was a sophomore which was crazy enough.

This 8th grader probably hasnt gotten past 2nd base.

I played basketball in 7th grade with a 5'11" kid who could dunk. I saw him while I was at SU. He was still 5'11".

YOu should not be allowed to verbally commit until you are a Jr, minimum.

My youngest son was just the opposite. He was the youngest in his class (November birthday) was 5'5 as a freshman in HS, 5'11 heading in his senior year and ended up 6'3" by the end of his sophomore year in college.

8th grade is way too young to project the future of a youngster accurately - whether it's annointing a kid as a future star or conversely totally writing a child off.

Started as an eighth grader on a high school team. In an area of the country where lax is huge. I'd love to know if he was ever held back (reclassified) in school expressly for the purposes of lax or if he is the next Lebron of lax.

From the school's perspective, this seems pretty risky. However, since I can't read the article right now, I assume this is just a verbal commitment or at least not the official signing... which I think isn't allowed until a certain age/grade (could totally be wrong). So the school and player probably have a way out of it anyway.

From the player's perspective, it's a little less risky. Maybe Maryland's his dream school, and it's a good university that won't short him on a solid education. When I was in 8th grade, I would have jumped at any opportunity to get a free ride to SU. It wouldn't have mattered if I turned out to be a genius in high school who got offers to Harvard and Stanford; I still would have been happy with the SU decision.

Last edited by a moderator:
This should probably be moved to the Lax board. There has been a beyond huge thread on Laxp0wer.c0m beating this lacrosse-world dead horse for several years. Both Coaches' Associations just approved a resolution which would limit formal offers' being made the schools after 1 Sept. of a player's junior year. It has not been formalized by the NCAA. Oral offers and commitments aren't worth the paper they're printed on.

Have fun, guys...sucking it up in the PAC with Alford.
If Alford's smart, he'll let the 3 brothers play their game when they are in school together. They were all on the same page at both ends of the court and made some great plays. They were a lot of fun to watch.

I remember Bobby Knight recruiting a 13 year old at Indiana, which was a BIG deal & practically unheard of at that time.
I believe the name was Damon Bailey? Decent player but nothing special, IMO.

A lacrosse player has committed to Maryland following his 8th grade season at a Rockland high school.

He still has four years of high school lacrosse ahead of him. Do colleges really think that what a kid does in 8th grade is that good a predictor of how he'll match up against kids his own age four years from now?

And does a 13-year-old kid really know where he wants to attend college?

Maybe college recruiting really IS getting out of hand.

http://armonk.dailyvoice.com/sports...-2019-hudson-valley-athlete-to-commit/610780/

CTO, It is absolutely out of control. LBJ's son is already getting college offers and he is 10.

http://www.foxsports.com/ohio/story...n-james-jr-college-offers-scholarships-022415

I'm really into the presidential history and museums so I have to admit for a split second, I read this without looking at the link and wondered how the heck Lyndon Johnson has a 10 year old kid when he's been dead for 40 years.
He did have quite the reputation as a ladies man, but even he wasn't that prolific.

My youngest son was just the opposite. He was the youngest in his class (November birthday) was 5'5 as a freshman in HS, 5'11 heading in his senior year and ended up 6'3" by the end of his sophomore year in college.

8th grade is way too young to project the future of a youngster accurately - whether it's annointing a kid as a future star or conversely totally writing a child off.
but the point is that sometimes they are right. they knew about LeBron or kobe or some of the best. even though they didn't go to college, if you can get the can't miss kid you are going to take them. no offense to your son but it is not an apples to apples comparison.

but the point is that sometimes they are right. they knew about LeBron or kobe or some of the best. even though they didn't go to college, if you can get the can't miss kid you are going to take them. no offense to your son but it is not an apples to apples comparison.

Lebron wasn't hyped up in 8th grade though. He didnt commit anywhere in 8th grade and Ive never heard of a school even offering him in 8th grade.

Lebron wasn't hyped up in 8th grade though. He didnt commit anywhere in 8th grade and Ive never heard of a school even offering him in 8th grade.
LeBron was definitely on the map in 8th grade

it's fine with me to criticize, but as su fans let's not act like our program(s) would somehow be above any recruiting tactic that could bring us better players.

Of course. But only in keeping up with the competition. Desko was not a pioneer in this area at all. At this point, he's in Rome just doing as the Romans. But 8th grade is just absurd.

He did have quite the reputation as a ladies man, but even he wasn't that prolific.

When you are one of the most powerful men in the history of this country, it's bound to happen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom