OT: Wegman's Invading Richmond | Syracusefan.com

OT: Wegman's Invading Richmond

It's funny what a cult following they have. Obviously having been around Wegmans from their first store outside of Rochester and how they have evolved into "Wegmans" we take it for granted, but it really has been a big part of the quality of life in upstate.

Maybe, but I think the quality of grocery stores on the whole has been higher in the Northeast for some time.

Up here, I'm perfectly happy to go to Tops or Price Chopper and shop in one-third the time it takes to get through a Wegman's trip - they're good enough.

Living in the DMV for years, I'd drive out to Fairfax and kill half a Saturday because the Giant and Safeway in my neighborhood were so disgusting, overpriced, and understocked.

Maybe Wegman's is the rising tide that lifts all boats and should get credit for that, but I don't find the need to shop there too often.

Maybe, but I think the quality of grocery stores on the whole has been higher in the Northeast for some time.

Up here, I'm perfectly happy to go to Tops or Price Chopper and shop in one-third the time it takes to get through a Wegman's trip - they're good enough.

Living in the DMV for years, I'd drive out to Fairfax and kill half a Saturday because the Giant and Safeway in my neighborhood were so disgusting, overpriced, and understocked.

Maybe Wegman's is the rising tide that lifts all boats and should get credit for that, but I don't find the need to shop there too often.

Tops has cleaned up what was left of the P&C stores, but still very second rate. Won't buy produce or meat there.

The Price Chopper on 31 is pretty good, but almost never go there.

4735-3.jpg

<3

It's funny what a cult following they have. Obviously having been around Wegmans from their first store outside of Rochester and how they have evolved into "Wegmans" we take it for granted, but it really has been a big part of the quality of life in upstate.

I've lived in several other states, and I've been perpetually disappointed with the grocery store options everywhere I've lived after experiencing the "Wegman's Experience..."

Tops has cleaned up what was left of the P&C stores, but still very second rate. Won't buy produce or meat there.

The Price Chopper on 31 is pretty good, but almost never go there.

I think consistency within the Tops brand is a problem.

Agree that their meat is subpar. And once they sold me yellow onions labeled as sweet onions (but that might say more about me than it does about them). Other than that, though, their Nottingham store is good and better than the Dewitt store and a couple others I've tried. Excellent bakery.

I have great luck with Price Chopper's meat/seafood. The clientele isn't the best, but the guys behind the counter are awesome and the quality is great.

One thing about Wegman's - their generic branded food (yogurt, cereal, etc.) is excellent. [And that's fortunate, since they shut out so many good brands.]

One thing about Wegman's - their generic branded food (yogurt, cereal, etc.) is excellent.
That's exactly the thing I have a hard time getting across to people that don't know about Wegmans. It's such a foreign concept.

Keep moving on south, Wegman's! Get one in Knoxville soon, and then add another one to where ever I move in North Carolina.

Keep moving on south, Wegman's! Get one in Knoxville soon, and then add another one to where ever I move in North Carolina.

The story I heard is it won't happen until Wegman's builds another Distribution Center. I heard they are eyeing property around Richmond for it.

I lived less than 5 minutes from Wegmans for 22 years (lived in Fayetteville). Only times I ever went there were with friends to get a sub/lunch, or with my dad when he was grabbing supplies for work-related gatherings at the university.

I lived less than 5 minutes from Wegmans for 22 years (lived in Fayetteville). Only times I ever went there were with friends to get a sub/lunch, or with my dad when he was grabbing supplies for work-related gatherings at the university.
Oh man, we had some Wegmans subs in the car when we went to the Maryland tailgate. Hadn't had one in years. It was a battle of wills to not inhale one before we got to the tailgate.

I love that this board can have a discussion about supermarkets...I think what Wegmans does best is train their employees. My sister-in-law needed kosher stuff and they immediately changed their gloves. It's just a little thing, but it can make a huge difference.

There are certain things that Wegmans is strong in but I never understood the fascination with them.

But can we get one in the Albany area? Apparently not.

But can we get one in the Albany area? Apparently not.

Well it certainly worked out for P&C letting Wegmans and Price Chopper into Syracuse.

I once bought steak from Tops instead of Wegmans.

Never Again.

about the only thing that can get the board more worked up (in a good way) than Wegmans is a thread about Clarkes Ale House...open already!

I heard Clarks is opening real soon (my posts from 2, 4, 6 and 8 months ago)

BTW, my sister n husband drive 100 miles each way to shop once a month at the Fredericksburg, VA Wegmans...this will cut their monthly sojourn down to 50 miles each way.

I heard Clarks is opening real soon (my posts from 2, 4, 6 and 8 months ago)

BTW, my sister n husband drive 100 miles each way to shop once a month at the Fredericksburg, VA Wegmans...this will cut their monthly sojourn down to 50 miles each way.
how about in the next hr? Heading down there for lunch and a couple flicks at the MOST, a Clarks sandwich would have been killer. Gotta "settle" for some of the fine vittles at Blue Tusk...