OT: Which U.S. states have the most pride? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Which U.S. states have the most pride?

I've still never visited so, so many states. The Dakotas, Montana, Idaho, Alaska, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Wyoming, Iowa, Oregon, Alabama...man, I'm missing a lot on my USA visit list.

I'm up to 44, missing only Hawaii, New Mexico, Louisiana, Arkansas, Mississippi, and Alabama. The only place I've been where it seemed the people were noticeably disinterested in being friendly was Maine. We lived in Brewer (outside Bangor) for a year, couldn't leave soon enough.

I'm not a fan of the heat so places like Nevada and Arizona don't appeal to me at all.

I'm the same way, I've made it very clear to my wife that the Virginia suburbs of DC are the absolute furthest south we will ever live. I just can't take heat and humidity.

I'm the same way, I've made it very clear to my wife that the Virginia suburbs of DC are the absolute furthest south we will ever live. I just can't take heat and humidity.
Dry heat's the best, once you get past the unpredictable nose bleeds.

I was just reading about firenados. Be careful out there. I have no idea why anyone would live in a place subject to firenados and sharknados. Scary stuff.

I live on the border of San Marcos & Carlsbad and the two biggest fires this time were the Carlsbad Fire and the San Marcos fire.

At one point, I had fires within 3 miles of me on to the east and to the west, but no sharks falling from the skies (But I did check the pool before I jumped in)

I have another photo out the backyard that looks about the same as the front yard.

People across the street from me got evacuated but not on my side.

Eh, NYC is overrated. Expensive, crowded, and unfriendly. And for god sakes, if you visit here, do not do the touristy trap stuff.

Better enjoy it now. It will be under water in a few decades.

I know this is off-topic but I thought this was something everyone would find interesting.

Percentage of residents that said their state was the best or one of the best to live in…

Highest:
Alaska 77%
Montana 77%
Utah 70%
Wyoming 69%
Texas 68%

Lowest:
Rhode Island 18% (surprising, I think RI is a wonderful state)
Illinois 19%
Mississippi 26%
Louisiana 27%
Michigan/New Jersey 28%

http://www.wcnc.com/home/editors-picks/256822721.html
This will be my third summer in Fort Worth on business. It's true, people from Texas aren't bashful. They will tell you unending tales of greatness. Bigger, better, etc. All in all, though, they're gracious hosts.

Living in Utah, I can see the logic of that ranking. The geography itself is beautiful and varied, you can get a very high standard of living for a low cost of living, you've got good jobs and industry, low crime and generally good people all around. I can see why people would like it.

All that said... I take more pride in growing up in New York than I do living in Utah now.
All in all, NY state sucks. If my wife would leave, I would have gone long, long ago. I hope my kids never come back here to live.

Why would you expect Texas to be far and away #1?

Really would have expected Texas to be far and away #1.

Agree about Rhode Island as well. I didn't live there but worked there for a year (lived in MA because it was cheaper), and it was gorgeous.

Ny State should split in half.

Love upstate, can't stand the city.

The way the weather has been lately..it's basically become a pick your own poison:
do you want to live near hurricanes, floods, earthquakes, tornadoes, or fires?

When the snow melts in Syracuse, your house is still here.

Why would you expect Texas to be far and away #1?

In my experience, Texans are either descended from Mexicans or racists against them.

love ny except for the rip offs. not many states still have a deposit on bottles. ny keeps it because they keep the unclaimed millions every year.my new trailer and car really needed to be inspected' lottery winnfs need to be taxed. u can make a right on red everywhere in florida, not ny. theres a sign in skan. that sasys no right turn when pedestrians r crossing.

That would make Upstate NY worse off - it receives a larger share of state expenditures than it pays in compared to downstate.
do u really think upstate could afford all these little school district have administrative staffs and a litter of school busses without Westchester and long island carrying them. bull. problem with nyc is that parasite states such as jersey and conn thrive without contributing

love ny except for the rip offs. not many states still have a deposit on bottles. ny keeps it because they keep the unclaimed millions every year.my new trailer and car really needed to be inspected' lottery winnfs need to be taxed. u can make a right on red everywhere in florida, not ny. theres a sign in skan. that sasys no right turn when pedestrians r crossing.

20% of states (plus Guam) have bottle deposits. Every state north and east of NY except NH has a bottle deposit.

I don't buy this poll. Have you ever seen 2 New Yorkers run into each other as transplants in another town? Let alone hard/gangsta rep NY brings for people who feel the need to do that.

Edit: Nvm. Just read the context of the poll and yea, New York isn't all that (but I will talk about it like its heaven to southerners)

That would make Upstate NY worse off - it receives a larger share of state expenditures than it pays in compared to downstate.

People's stance on this (seemingly absurd) question serves as a hell of an intelligence test.

u can make a right on red everywhere in florida, not ny. theres a sign in skan. that sasys no right turn when pedestrians r crossing.

That's a good thing, and it's quite clear why that's a good thing.

OttoMets said:
People's stance on this (seemingly absurd) question serves as a hell of an intelligence test.

I hate the notion of dividing NYS. We have the greatest city in the world and some of the most beautiful scenery in the world in one state. LI, Westchester and NYC provide money to upstate and upstate provides great drinking water.

It's a perfect dichotomy.

I hate the notion of dividing NYS. We have the greatest city in the world and some of the most beautiful scenery in the world in one state. LI, Westchester and NYC provide money to upstate and upstate provides great drinking water.

And it's similar to many other states. Urban versus rural areas arguments always interest me. My own state of Vermont would be completely broke if the Burlington Metro area was severed from the remainder of the state.

It's a great state. It could stand to be improved in some ways, but not by redrawing borders.

Some people want it to be something it's not. There's no danger of that happening, but it's too bad they're so unhappy here. They're not the ones contributing to our already-high quality of life.

Which is curiously and directly contradictory to the position of all my friends and family who still live in CNY :confused:.

We also provide relatively cheap power, the only good college football team in the NY/NE region and the best basketball team in the state, NBA teams included.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom