Our brand of football is boring | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Our brand of football is boring

Dino and then Beck were supposed to be offensive geniuses particularly in the passing game.

It‘s year 8 and the passing game still struggles with consistency.

Georgia Tech ran the option for years and averages nearly 300ypg passing.

We play in a dome with receivers who can’t catch and an oline that can’t pass block.

We still punt in stupid situations.

We have reached a ceiling with Dino. We are always going to have stupid penalties, bad clock management and a poor pass blocking oline.

Find someone who can build a team who knows how to build a passing offense. We play in a dome ffs. Everyone can throw besides us it seems these days.
It only looks boring when we don't catch the football consistently well.

Our old pal Vince from Slapchop says if your breakfast is boring your life is boring

There is one ball. One more guy in the box is one more guy to block. There is a reason you don't see teams with two tailbacks very much. The whole point of the Baylor offense he was hired to run is make defenders defend as wide as possible and declare their intentions in an obvious way to make it easy to run when you have the right numbers
That's why the NBA is how it is right now. Look how spread out the court is. Often you even see teams with 5 out! Get the opponent's big totally out of the way especially in a game where there is defensive 3 seconds. Make the D guard from sideline to sideline out to 35' and don't crowd the lane (middle of the field) unnecessarily.

Outside of Jackson, Gadsden and Amba our best receivers were Ishmael, Erv, Estime and Custis who were all Scott Shafer recruits. We've missed that quick slot guy in the Estime/Erv mode more than anything.
Right. That's what's perplexing. Regardless of who recruited them, we had great passing/recieving numbers those first couple years and weren't able to recruit good receivers.

Don’t bother.

I’ve beaten into the ground by people telling me that only 7th year TEs can play QB here.

If your linemen can't pass block it's all moot.

Athletic QB's that can't pass only take you so far. I'd love to have this team go with 4 WR's but so far the talent hasn't been there to go along with the lack of OL.

My suggestion was during the time of Tucker and Jordan and that train has passed.

Actually using our Tight End will make things better.

Makes no sense to go fast with GS but if we can get him healthy on the back stretch of a season for once we'll be fun to watch.

Villari and Gadsden next year could be great. You might not need the most accurate QB if you have 2 TEs like that running short easy routes.

"Our brand of football is boring"​

not if you're watching your team play us. it's like a friggin' highlight reel !

Liam Coen from UK is my numero uno target to get this offense rolling. Our recruiting will always be what it will be. Three stars and hit the portal. Get someone in here who can call a game and mix in some play action effectively

Last edited:
That's why the NBA is how it is right now. Look how spread out the court is. Often you even see teams with 5 out! Get the opponent's big totally out of the way especially in a game where there is defensive 3 seconds. Make the D guard from sideline to sideline out to 35' and don't crowd the lane (middle of the field) unnecessarily.
All the dunks you get playing five out and clearing space is like running the ball inside by spreading everyone out at creating lanes. Inside runs in a battle offense is like a drive to the basket in five out.

All the dunks you get playing five out and clearing space is like running the ball inside by spreading everyone out at creating lanes. Inside runs in a battle offense is like a drive to the basket in five out.
I’ve been saying for YEARS goalline formations are so stupid…. Unless you are sneaking the ball. Imagine bringing 11 guys into the box for 1 yard and then handing the ball to someone 3+ yards behind the los? It’s so absurd.