Our crying need. A true center! | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Our crying need. A true center!

I mean, why not post Shaq at this point?
I get it, it's pointless exercise

Just showing there are potential targets at lower level schools excelling or playing at a consistently strong level that this team could benefit from.

There are players out there.

Our program has a GM right?

Time for them to earn their money and find those kids.

If we think we want a lower tier player then thats what we will settle for….if we haven’t learned anything from the football situation we should be aiming for the best

If we think we want a lower tier player then thats what we will settle for….if we haven’t learned anything from the football situation we should be aiming for the best
We haven't stopped aiming high

See Moore and Freeman

But there are role players that are needed that can be contributors. And those guys are most likely coming from the lower levels.

Look what Tennessee did.

Posted something similar right after you. It's ridiculous that we take flyers on so many of these guys.

One (McLeod), fine.

Two (McLeod & Carey)... OK, maybe.

But we have FOUR of them - Hima, Carey, McLeod, Patterson... none of them have done a thing. And at this point, Brown (a 5th guy) is playing all of the minutes at the position!

So much roster imbalance at this position. Maximum 3 centers and really the way basketball is played now and with the way kids transfer in and out, 3 is a lot.

We have 4. And they all stink.
I get what your saying and I would say Hima is out the door and Carey might be also, Mcleod has 1 more year so I think he stays but we at least have to give Patterson a break as he is redshirting this year I would have to bet we pull in another center through the portal hopefully we can dish out some NIL$

We haven't stopped aiming high

See Moore and Freeman

But there are role players that are needed that can be contributors. And those guys are most likely coming from the lower levels.

Look what Tennessee did.
We got role players this year we didn’t spring for Edwards or Girard so far this year has been a boring thud we need an injection of life into this program. I love Red and Gmac….hopefully it happens next year but a lot of players should of been told bye bye this year

He was rumored to transfer to Duke last summer, why would he consider us? Everyone would be after him if he portals.
Beauty of NIL

We got role players this year we didn’t spring for Edwards or Girard so far this year has been a boring thud we need an injection of life into this program. I love Red and Gmac….hopefully it happens next year but a lot of players should of been told bye bye this year
Wrong

Joe was moving on

Jesse's dad saw to it he wasn't going to be here

Beauty of NIL
I am curious how much NIL Cuse bball will have, especially with football seeming doing well (I don't follow football so not entirely sure). NIL numbers for bball players will increase and some of the top bball NIL budgets last summer have been $2M-$3M for basketball alone.

I remember we tried recruiting Hunter Dickinson last summer knowing how much we could offer him in NIL. At least we got a zoom call lmao.

I get what your saying and I would say Hima is out the door and Carey might be also, Mcleod has 1 more year so I think he stays but we at least have to give Patterson a break as he is redshirting this year I would have to bet we pull in another center through the portal hopefully we can dish out some NIL$
I saw nothing to warrent Mcleod's return even as a backup. Would really want to trust him as a backup to an unknown quantity? You'll end up in the same situation as this year!

I am curious how much NIL Cuse bball will have, especially with football seeming doing well (I don't follow football so not entirely sure). NIL numbers for bball players will increase and some of the top bball NIL budgets last summer have been $2M-$3M for basketball alone.

I remember we tried recruiting Hunter Dickinson last summer knowing how much we could offer him in NIL. At least we got a zoom call lmao.
Curious as well. I know Villanova was reported as $3M.

That roster has the talent to win, if not coaching.

He's most assured has a landing spot somewhere then.

Will finish out semester academically and move on.

I am certain we are not involved, but these are the type of transfers from lower levels we should look at.

Highly productive.
Just curious (and admittedly, I know very little about Jonathan Beagle/UAlbany hoops), but why would any head coach, assistant coach, AD or fan actually want a player like this in your program?

He's unhappy it seems (no mention of injury). And he QUITS IN MIDSEASON on his team/program, teammates, coaches, ... on himself.

This is exactly the type of player that Red, who is establishing his program standards, should avoid at any/all costs. He is not committed. He cannot deal with adversity. How is he going to help us win games in March in the coming years if things are too tough at UAlbany?

My $0.02 "stance" has nothing to do with the transfer portal, if that is part of this. This is not the same as JJ Starling joining us from ND. If Jonathan Beagle left after the season, I'd be fine with it. This is about a kid that (apparently) is disgruntled and is too weak to buckle down, grind and compete. How ridiculously selfish is his quitting mid-season?

Listen, if there is some unspoken issue at play, I will back off Jonathan Beagle. If the coach is abusive or something like that. But at this very moment as I type this, that is not the case.

It just befuddles me that anyone (including fans) would be interested in a player like this playing at SU. Would be the worst thing we could do. Didn't we just go through some degrees of internal program strife with Benny? What invite more of that inside?

Just curious (and admittedly, I know very little about Jonathan Beagle/UAlbany hoops), but why would any head coach, assistant coach, AD or fan actually want a player like this in your program?

He's unhappy it seems (no mention of injury). And he QUITS IN MIDSEASON on his team/program, teammates, coaches, ... on himself.

This is exactly the type of player that Red, who is establishing his program standards, should avoid at any/all costs. He is not committed. He cannot deal with adversity. How is he going to help us win games in March in the coming years if things are too tough at UAlbany?

My $0.02 "stance" has nothing to do with the transfer portal, if that is part of this. This is not the same as JJ Starling joining us from ND. If Jonathan Beagle left after the season, I'd be fine with it. This is about a kid that (apparently) is disgruntled and is too weak to buckle down, grind and compete. How ridiculously selfish is his quitting mid-season?

Listen, if there is some unspoken issue at play, I will back off Jonathan Beagle. If the coach is abusive or something like that. But at this very moment as I type this, that is not the case.

It just befuddles me that anyone (including fans) would be interested in a player like this playing at SU. Would be the worst thing we could do. Didn't we just go through some degrees of internal program strife with Benny? What invite more of that inside?
I don’t really know anything about this particular player either. I think the point OP is trying to make is that we are better off aiming for fully developed big men at the mid major or lower level than backup centers at the power conferences that haven’t produced and are underweight compared to our peers. We appeared to focus more back in the day on developing centers to be defensive minded first and building muscle.

I think the ticket for us is guys at a lower level that want to play at the next level. But it is very tough to figure out who can actually make that jump.
We need coaches and bags that can attract the best portal players available. I find these suggestions to mine the lower ranks disturbing.

I disagree. The coach is a jackarse and has had a few issues himself. He had one issue in which he was fired but the Albany black community protested until he was unfired. He had enough of the coach. I don't think this kid's character is an issue.

I disagree. The coach is a jackarse and has had a few issues himself. He had one issue in which he was fired but the Albany black community protested until he was unfired. He had enough of the coach. I don't think this kid's character is an issue.
Sorry, that's called real life. There are jackarse's everywhere.
We've all dealt with "leadership" that are abrasive and/or severely misguided.

I just cannot stomach quitting whenever adversity strikes. How about playing to spite the coach you dislike so much? Then leave AFTER the season, which ends less than a month from now. Do it the right way. Be bigger than the coach you despise.

Rather, this guy quit, hurt his teammates and hindered his own development.
I would not even look at his tape if I were a college HC, let alone Red/SU.

Might want to go check and see who the best players are on Alabama and Tennessee along with a few other schools in the SEC.
Obviously he’s not a big man but Dalton Knecht is probably one of the players you’re talking about and i dont know how people here don’t realize this considering he cooked US. Like are people here not watching our own games even ?

Seems like a fairly reasonable prediction that Carey and Hima won't be on the roster next year and they will try and find a starting caliber Center in the portal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom