our old Big East bretheren | Syracusefan.com

our old Big East bretheren

adk(roc)CUSE

All Conference
With all the shifting in conferences of the past few years I am glad to see our old Big East brothers in a good place. Seton Hall, Villanova, Providence, St Johns, and yes even Georgetown. Most are ranked or have been at some point this season. We are ACC now but I will always consider those teams our brothers. Glad they are doing well.

With all the shifting in conferences of the past few years I am glad to see our old Big East brothers in a good place. Seton Hall, Villanova, Providence, St Johns, and yes even Georgetown. Most are ranked or have been at some point this season. We are ACC now but I will always consider those teams our brothers. Glad they are doing well.

It's 8:14 (Central time) and Georgetown still sucks, in any time zone.

I think they are ranked or have been ranked for the most part because there are no Louisville, Cuse, Pitt, ND, Uconn or Cinci to smack them around anymore.

Cuseroc said:
I think they are ranked or have been ranked for the most part because there are no Louisville, Cuse, Pitt, ND, Uconn or Cinci to smack them around anymore.

Agreed. Glad to see these teams have a chance now that they are not in a league where they could not keep their heads above the water.

They are the only thing I watch on FS1. I have enjoyed a bunch of St. Johns games this year. Wishing all of them well.

You lost me at Georgetown. After that word, I hear you like Charlie Brown hears his teacher. But yeah, happy for these guys. Watching a good game right now, Hall DePaul.
I was going to respond to the initial post...but you've said it perfectly.
Congratulations on your mind reading power.
However, I can't resist the mantra: the next best thing to a Syracuse win is a G-town loss. Any time, any place, to any opponent.
I LOOOOAAAATHE G-TOWN!
May they be the least in the east.

There was a time I hated Georgetown more than anything in the world. But Craig Esherik (sp?) And the UConn Huskies changed that.

I know what you mean. I loved rooting for them to lose than when they actually started losing consistently under Esherik, it was less fun

I disagree as many of those teams were ranked (or in the tounrey field as of January 1) before conference season started. KP rankings also shown that they are better than many of the now non BE teams you listed above.

Many of those programs that are up and down, and in the case of Seton Hall and Providence usually down, are all on a relative upswing.

the newBE is the best mid major conf out there

I wish them all well, except 1

I disagree as many of those teams were ranked (or in the tounrey field as of January 1) before conference season started. KP rankings also shown that they are better than many of the now non BE teams you listed above.

Many of those programs that are up and down, and in the case of Seton Hall and Providence usually down, are all on a relative upswing.

There were times when those teams were doing well before conference play started and after getting a steady diet of Cuse, Louisville, Pitt, ND, Uconn and Cincy, and each other, they couldnt even make the tourney. Marquette, Georgetown and Nova were the only teams that consistantly held there own.

58459131.jpg

There were times when those teams were doing well before conference play started and after getting a steady diet of Cuse, Louisville, Pitt, ND, Uconn and Cincy, and each other, they couldnt even make the tourney. Marquette, Georgetown and Nova were the only teams that consistantly held there own.

The KP rankings as of January 1 this year vs prior year as of January 1 clearly show the programs as a group are on an upswing. That has nothing to do with in conference play.

The Big East also performed admirably in out of conference play this year by the unbiased metric's out there.

Last edited:
It's clear and definitive that the performance of the 5 Old School Big East teams has nothing to do with who is gone. My argument that these schools as a whole are clearly on an upswing is fully supported below.

All rankings below as of January 1 (per KP) and basically prior to conference play... using archive.org. In a few instances, no snapshot for January 1 was available,

A tourney level team is one in the KenPom top 48 (comparable to a top 12 seed)

In the past 7 years:

- 2015 is the only year where the 5 Old School Big East were tourney calibre as of January 1. Since 2009, the amounts have been 3,3,2,2, 2 and 1. And this year it is 5.

- The Average Ranking of the 5 teams per KP is 29 in 2015. In prior years, it has been 40, 53, 59, 68, 77 and 80.

Those are major differences and a clear indication from an unbiased point of data that the schools are on a clear upswing this year,

2015 (as of Jan 1)

Villanova 6
St. John's 22
Seton Hall 34
Georgetown 39
Providence 45

5 Tourney Level Teams (as of Jan 1)
Avg Ranking - 29

2014 (as of Jan 2)

Villanova 8
Georgetown 34
St. John's 62
Providence 78
Seton Hall 112

2 Tourney Level Teams
Avg Ranking - 59

2013 (last year of Big East, as of Jan 4)

Georgetown 41
Providence 66
Seton Hall 82
Villanova 91
St. John's 106

1 Tourney Level Teams
Avg Rank - 77

Georgetown 13
Seton Hall 42
Villanova 64
Providence 139
St. John's 144

2 Tounrey Level Team
Avg Rank - 80

Villanova 13
Georgetown 14
St. John's 43
Providence 65
Seton Hall 67

3 Tounrey Level Teams
Avg Rank 40

Georgetown 17
Villanova 33
Seton Hall 44
St. John's 70
Providence 99

3 Tourney Level Teams
Avg Rank - 53

2009 (only upload available was Jan 20)

Georgetown 4
Villanova 28
Providence 80
Seton Hall 104
St. John's 123

2 Tourney Level
Avg Rank = 68

Last edited:
It's clear and definitive that the performance of the 5 Old School Big East teams has nothing to do with who is gone. My argument that these schools as a whole are clearly on an upswing is fully supported below.

All rankings below as of January 1 (per KP) and basically prior to conference play... using archive.org. In a few instances, no snapshot for January 1 was available,

In the past 7 years:

- 2015 is the only year where the 5 Old School Big East were tourney calibre as of January 1. Since 2009, the amounts have been 3,3,2,2, 2 and 1. And this year it is 5.

- The Average Ranking of the 5 teams per KP is 29 in 2015. In prior years, it has been 40, 53, 59, 68, 77 and 80.

Those are major differences and a clear indication from an unbiased point of data that the schools are on a clear upswing this year,

2015 (as of Jan 1)

Villanova 6
St. John's 22
Seton Hall 34
Georgetown 39
Providence 45

Avg Ranking - 29

2014 (as of Jan 2)

Villanova 8
Georgetown 34
St. John's 62
Providence 78
Seton Hall 112

2 Tourney Level Teams
Avg Ranking - 59

Georgetown 41
Providence 66
Seton Hall 82
Villanova 91
St. John's 106

1 Tourney Level Teams
Avg Rank - 77

Georgetown 13
Seton Hall 42
Villanova 64
Providence 139
St. John's 144

2 Tounrey Level Team
Avg Rank - 80

Villanova 13
Georgetown 14
St. John's 43
Providence 65
Seton Hall 67

3 Tounrey Level Teams
Avg Rank 40

Georgetown 17
Villanova 33
Seton Hall 44
St. John's 70
Providence 99

3 Tourney Level Teams
Avg Rank - 53

Georgetown 4
Villanova 28
Providence 80
Seton Hall 104
St. John's 123

2 Tourney Level
Avg Rank = 68

It helps when the conference gets diluted. Still respect all those teams.

In the past 7 years:

2015 (as of Jan 1)

Villanova 6
St. John's 22
Seton Hall 34
Georgetown 39
Providence 45

Avg Ranking - 29

2014 (as of Jan 2)

Villanova 8
Georgetown 34
St. John's 62
Providence 78
Seton Hall 112

2 Tourney Level Teams
Avg Ranking - 59

Georgetown 41
Providence 66
Seton Hall 82
Villanova 91
St. John's 106

1 Tourney Level Teams
Avg Rank - 77

Georgetown 13
Seton Hall 42
Villanova 64
Providence 139
St. John's 144

2 Tounrey Level Team
Avg Rank - 80

Villanova 13
Georgetown 14
St. John's 43
Providence 65
Seton Hall 67

3 Tounrey Level Teams
Avg Rank 40

Georgetown 17
Villanova 33
Seton Hall 44
St. John's 70
Providence 99

3 Tourney Level Teams
Avg Rank - 53

Georgetown 4
Villanova 28
Providence 80
Seton Hall 104
St. John's 123

2 Tourney Level
Avg Rank = 68

Your data only shows that those teams have improved somewhat. But you cant actually believe that those teams would not suffer some additional losses if Syracuse, Pitt, ND, Louisville, Uconn and Cincy were in the league. As it is they have yet to play each other. Well see how they do after the season is over. Whatever losses they have then, you can tack on a few more if they were playing the ex BE teams.

I actually like the old Big East teams...except for Georgetown. But let's face it, they would all have more losses if they were still playing against Louisville, Syracuse, UConn and maybe even Pitt and Cincy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom