Our Program Needs Change in Some of These Areas | Syracusefan.com

Our Program Needs Change in Some of These Areas

cuse522

2nd String
1. Recruiting and Keeping Talent - I'm not just talking about getting the five star guys, but since Ennis we've only recruited two natural point guards (Joseph and Washington), and we were lucky to be able to move Gbinije over to the 1. That's six classes in which we basically haven't managed to recruit a starting point guard. I know Joseph started for a year, but only due to the surprise departure of Ennis and then he lost his job as a returning starter to a guy playing out of position. (Edited to add: in fairness, they have Carey listed as just a SG, but I should have included him as a PG and we'll see how he turns out. I was just scanning for the positions without looking as in depth.)

As for the level of talent, we only have one top 100 player in this year's class, one last year, none in '17. Two in three years is not cutting it. In this time span Duke has five top 3 recruits and 15 top 100. They're getting 7.5 times as many top 100 recruits as us. I get that they're Duke, but that's still insane to think about.

Then when we do get them, all too often they seem to leave earlier than we expect, or earlier than other schools might have lost them to the NBA... And it's not like they're all going as lottery picks and tearing it up in the league.

I think one of the reasons we lose players too early is that we aren't really developing them for the next level (see point 2). Another is that I don't think they have as much fun playing here as they might have elsewhere (see point 3). Finally, I think a lot of them are probably frustrated by either playing out of position (because we always seem to be forcing a guy to play out of position due to recruiting failures or losing a guy earlier than expected) or by playing without a supporting cast that can maximize their talents (especially since we so rarely seem to have an actual starting point guard).

Also on the topic of recruiting, I took a look at this year's ESPN Top 100, and not only do we only have one (as a point of reference, Duke has 3, Virginia has 2, FSU has 2, Louisville has 5, NC State/UNC/Clemson/Miami have one each). Outside the conference, in the region, UConn has 3 and Villanova has 4. So not only that, but we're missing on guys in our back yard. There are eight top 100 recruits from New York. We're getting zero. In fairness, two haven't committed and we have an offer to one of them, but the other six are going to: Washington, NC State, Illinois, Louisville, UConn, Harvard. We offered two of them. Last year two in-state guys in the top-100 (UCLA, Stanford - we didn't offer either), in '17 there were five. They went to Texas, Kentucky, Arizona, Louisville, Minnesota - we offered two of them.

2. Developing Guys for the NBA - I see two key problems here. First is that we play the zone, which means a ton of time spent practicing and learning something that is irrelevant in the NBA. Second is that we spend so much time focusing on the zone that not that much time is spent during practice on developing guys' offensive games, or in learning any sort of offensive system. That's probably one of the most important things most college players need to do to succeed in the next level. Big men need to put on some muscle and develop more post moves. Guards need to put on a little muscle, gain some experience, and often develop their jump shot more.

3. Spending More Time Practicing Offense - This ties right into point #2, so I won't belabor that part of it... But I also imagine it's a lot more fun to be working on that side of the game than the zone, and I think that probably has a lot to do with guys who are on the fence about staying or going.

4. Developing a Deeper Bench - This bites us in a few ways. First of all, when we get into a situation like tonight, or like any of the myriad of examples of losing a key player late in the year and having no depth. If we gave Carey a few more minutes this year, maybe he could have played 8-10 minutes tonight and maybe we're not looking super tired at the end of the game. The same applies to foul trouble.

I get where JB is coming from here, because playing your 7 best players for all of the minutes is probably pretty close to optimal in terms of projecting the total number of wins in a season. However, in a must-win situation like the tournament, you're not just trying to maximize the number of wins you get in tournament games overall in a huge sample size... You're trying to maximize the number of times you string together wins for deep runs. In other words, it really sucks to be in spots where you have no real shot because you got a guy into foul trouble... and it's hard to go six straight games without that happening.

So what I'm saying here is that I would trade 1-2 wins per regular season over the long run to develop a deeper bench so that we can weather that stuff easier. It's also always possible to shorten the bench in close games or as a big underdog, but it's a lot harder to take a guy who hasn't been getting any run and lean on him in a big spot. So given that you could do that, the real expected number of wins lost per season by playing deeper is probably <1. This could also improve our program in terms of recruiting, developing and keeping players. Maybe some guys don't like playing 35+ minutes every game.

5. The Zone - I know it's beating a dead horse at the end of each season, and so many of these season-ending losses come when some team in the tourney shoots the lights out from deep, which can happen even if you play man... But for the love of God, would it kill Boeheim to be like 95% zone 5% man? I'm not even saying practice it, just freaking come out of the zone for like two or three possessions now and then when a team is torching us from three-point range. What's the worst that can happen?

It's also got such a huge impact on us in recruiting, imo, because we're really stuck going after a subset of players. I know there's a trade off there in that we can do really well with a lot of three and four star recruits who have a long wingspan, but if they trade off is just being out of the running for a lot of top prospects, I think that's a bad move for a powerhouse program with a top coach.

I know it'll never change under Boeheim, which is why I put it last, but I still had to say it.

Now, I feel like I've made a similar post before, and I feel like Boeheim is never going to change ANY of this... But it's one thing for him to be so committed to the zone he won't change it. It's another to make no changes at all. We're in a brutally tough conference, the game evolves over time, and this program needs to adapt. We've tried to patch the bad recruiting with grad transfers, but then you're asking a guy to learn the zone to the level needed and play a ton of minutes in the same season - it's tough to do.

Without making some changes in these areas, I don't see how we're going to do any better than we have the last few years and it really seems like we're destined to just be a middle of the pack ACC team until Boeheim retires, then we've got to hope we hire the right guy or else that's what we'll be until we snag a top coach.

I guess it is what it is. Boeheim built the program and dedicated his entire adult life to it, and he's earned the right to leave when he wants... and how he wants. I wouldn't have thought this would be how he wanted to go out, but hey, maybe I'm wrong and he'll have a couple more great years in him without making any changes.

No reason he couldn't have given Carey or Braswell an additional 120 minutes of game time spread out over the season

Now next year you are hoping both come in ready to contribute right out of the gate at a fairly high level

No reason he couldn't have given Carey or Braswell an additional 120 minutes of game time spread out over the season

Now next year you are hoping both come in ready to contribute right out of the gate at a fairly high level

Yup, exactly... and enough rope to know that one mistake isn't going to be the end of your night. Carey played ~60 minutes in the regular season in-conference. 13 of those games were decided by double figures, and a few were far worse. He plays four minutes against Wake and not at all against Virginia? We were up 17 on Wake with 14 minutes left and they never got close, yet he gets four minutes? Virginia was up 20 with six minutes left and he played zero minutes? And those two games were two days apart. Who knows what impact resting a few guys a bit against Wake could have had against UVA.

all the issues are basically addressed by remedying #5.

everything else is a symptom. cure the disease the symptoms go away.

Yeah, I mean it's intertwined in most of it, but it also has its positives overall. It's just not being 100% beholden to it.

I guess it is what it is. Boeheim built the program and dedicated his entire adult life to it, and he's earned the right to leave when he wants... and how he wants. I wouldn't have thought this would be how he wanted to go out, but hey, maybe I'm wrong and he'll have a couple more great years in him without making any changes.

The program should always be bigger than the coach. He hasn't earned the right to drive this program into the ground. Wildhack and Boeheim need to have a heart to heart here. Things cannot continue as if normal right now but you also can't expect a 75-year leopard to change its spots. Tough decisions need to be made by Boeheim and Wildhack.

Last edited:

Developing the bench wasn't much an option given the razor thin margin for error the team had all season. If they had played up to their potential even half the time, Jalen earns meaningful minutes towards his development.

As far as keeping talent, you can only convince someone so much to stay. Malachi, Lydon and McCullough all saw dollar signs at the end of the tunnel when they weren't ready to leave just yet. They had their minds made up already; in Lydon's case before the season started depending on what you read. I spoke to someone who worked for the program during the last Final Four run and Boeheim tried his hardest to get Richardson to stay. They're all going to be out of the league after this season.

Player development helps make up for early departures and this is where the job of Boeheim and his assistants needs to be scrutinized. The players needs to be held responsible as well. Oshae and Tyus came back worse players than they were before they left for LA and Vegas. The people these guys are working with didn't help them get better.

JB needs a talented PG next year...
Would go a long way towards “fixing” the stagnant offense. Which is a bigger issue than the Zone IMO...
Elite SU Teams have always had a good/great 1 to run the offense (that could break down the opposition set off the bounce).
Eddie Moss/Pearl/the General/Red/Billy/Scoop/Flynn/MCW. Even Senior Z, Hart and Senior Griffin we’re far better than anything we’ve had since Ennis departed...
Maybe Carey can grow into one. Or Washington. We shall see...

The program should always be bigger than the coach. He hasn't earned the right to drive this program into the ground. Wildhack and Boeheim need to have a heart to heart here. Things cannot continue as if normal right now but you also can't expect a 75-year leopard to change its spots. Tough decisions need to be made by Boeheim and Wildhack.
I agree but the coach is driving the bus as long as he wants.

Agreed...No one is entitled to a job. Not even Jim Boeheim.

4. Developing a Deeper Bench - This bites us in a few ways. First of all, when we get into a situation like tonight, or like any of the myriad of examples of losing a key player late in the year and having no depth. If we gave Carey a few more minutes this year, maybe he could have played 8-10 minutes tonight and maybe we're not looking super tired at the end of the game. The same applies to foul trouble.

nobody enjoys writing a check to the insurance company every year. you pay it hoping you'll never need it. but when unforeseen disaster strikes and you do you're sure glad you're covered.
that's the way i see bench minutes. sure they hurt a bit but boy do they pay off down the road when you might need them. JB sees things differently. he plays day by day hoping for sunny days.

I spoke to someone who worked for the program during the last Final Four run and Boeheim tried his hardest to get Richardson to stay. They're all going to be out of the league after this season.

Sure, but I have to imagine part of the problem is that even when he tries hard to get someone to stay, they're going to be saying, "Why? Every minute I spend practicing/playing the zone is a minute I'm losing out on improving on stuff that's going to help me be an NBA player..."

Or, "Why? So I can come back and play with no point guard?"

Or, "Why? So I can come back and play out of position because you didn't recruit X position?"

Insert whichever one applies to whichever player, but this is part of the problem. Even in situations where overall it's best for that player to have another year in college, at the end of the day I wonder how many of them wished they had gone to a school that played man-to-man, focused more on offense, and balanced their recruiting well enough to make sure they were playing their proper position with other players playing their proper positions.

nobody enjoys writing a check to the insurance company every year. you pay it hoping you'll never need it. but when unforeseen disaster strikes and you do you're sure glad you're covered.
that's the way i see bench minutes. sure they hurt a bit but boy do they pay off down the road when you might need them. JB sees things differently. he plays day by day hoping for sunny days.

Yup, I agree completely. Also, I imagine it factors heavily into some of our recruiting struggles. Like, when a guy leaves a year earlier than planned we're almost always totally screwed at that position. I would imagine a lot of guys don't want to consider coming here if there's a chance they're stuck behind someone for a year, because they know that means <5 minutes a game. You know other coaches have to be in their ear about that when they're recruiting against us. "You're going to be eighth in their rotation, look at their stats the last decade, Boeheim only plays seven guys."

And you know all these kids coming out of high school are super confident and optimistic, so they're probably thinking, "Hey, give me 10-15 minutes a game and I'll make you give me 30 minutes." But if they think they're only going to get five, what's the point of risking a year of basically not playing if they're stuck behind a returning starter?

So when that's the case, you basically pin yourself in to having to recruit well at the position you need in the year you need it AND not have a guy leave earlier than expected. If any of that goes wrong, you start having to slide guys into different positions and make do. We can get away with it defensively because of the zone, but it turns into a complete train wreck offensively some years. The exception being when we have a truly elite talent who can just carry us at the offensive end, or someone really versatile who can slide into another position and excel.

We are painfully ineffective without transition.

Yup, which just goes back to not spending much time on half court offense and/or often not having a true point guard. Sometimes when our team isn't very good offensively the zone is good enough to generate a lot of turnovers and transition opportunities, and we're almost always athletic and able to get out and run...

moreover. we got 4 ex guards on staff. jb,griff,autry and gerry. you telling me not one of these dudes can develop 4 star jalen carey into a weapon by march ? they share every TO he commits.
(which by the way is only 1 per game last ten games or so. then he gets pulled) great way to bring any young talent along. kid is playing too fast cuz he knows he's only gonna see 2minutes.

All of this above is pretty much true. We weren't always totally married to the zone. Then the zone became famous and our signature. Great defenses won games. So we played it close to 100%. No one did it better than Coach B and SU. But once the other teams learned, over a number of years, how to play against it, it has lost some of its effectiveness, and this is where we have a problem. JB is not going to make adjustments at this stage. I love the guy, but I am looking forward to seeing where we go in a few years. I want to get back to rocking and rolling, run and gun, win or lose.

Here is a list of all the other guard in the country as poor as Carey in offensive and defensive rating at college basketball reference

i didn't say "all the other guards" for good reason

Player Season Finder Query Results | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

he was a disaster on offense that we didn't have the luxury to afford

moreover. we got 4 ex guards on staff. jb,griff,autry and gerry. you telling me not one of these dudes can develop 4 star jalen carey into a weapon by march ? they share every TO he commits.
(which by the way is only 1 per game last ten games or so. then he gets pulled) great way to bring any young talent along. kid is playing too fast cuz he knows he's only gonna see 2minutes.
it maybe only one turnover but he makes it count. he plays point guard like people in those inflatable balls during hockey intermissions

Totally agree. John Wildhack needs to putt his big boy pants on and have the conversation...period!

it maybe only one turnover but he makes it count. he plays point guard like people in those inflatable balls during hockey intermissions

So my question is why didn't Buddy get glued to the bench like JC did? Why was Buddy given chance after chance? You remember the first 13 games of the season when Buddy was shooting right around 20% from three I believe he started 8/40 or something like that? Why was he treated different? He was given game chances to earn those minutes and wasn't pulled after every missed shot or mistake. JC comes in commits 1 turnover and gets pulled. In blow out wins and blow out losses JC wasn't given a chance why? Why is that different with Buddy by the coach?

So my question is why didn't Buddy get glued to the bench like JC did? Why was Buddy given chance after chance? You remember the first 13 games of the season when Buddy was shooting right around 20% from three I believe he started 8/40 or something like that? Why was he treated different? He was given game chances to earn those minutes and wasn't pulled after every missed shot or mistake. JC comes in commits 1 turnover and gets pulled. In blow out wins and blow out losses JC wasn't given a chance why? Why is that different with Buddy by the coach?
carey's stats don't lie.

jalen carey was 4 for 23 for the year

Buddy was 8/40 to start the year. One person got a chance to play and improve the other didn't and got yanked at every mistake. My question is why? Why did one get that chance and the other didn't?

Buddy was 8/40 to start the year. One person got a chance to play and improve the other didn't and got yanked at every mistake. My question is why? Why did one get that chance and the other didn't?

You’re looking for a controversy where there isn’t one. Buddy came in with a reputation as a shooter and Jalen came in with a reputation that compared him to Waiters.

You’re looking for a controversy where there isn’t one. Buddy came in with a reputation as a shooter and Jalen came in with a reputation that compared him to Waiters.

Not answering my question. Buddy was brought in to be a shooter and struggled to the tune of 20% in his first 13 games yet was given chance after chance when most players would be clued to the bench for the rest of the season. Buddy was allowed game time to work through his mistakes my question is why weren't other players allowed to do the same?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom