Painting himself into a corner. Marrone interviewing for Jacksonville O.C. job | Syracusefan.com

Painting himself into a corner. Marrone interviewing for Jacksonville O.C. job

cuse309

Ace recruiting beat reporter
Syracuse.com reports that Doug Marrone is interviewing for the offensive coordinator job with Jacksonville. If he lands this gig, he will effectively be right back to where he started before Syracuse...you remember Syracuse...his "dream job"
Too good!

Syracuse.com reports that Doug Marrone is interviewing for the offensive coordinator job with Jacksonville. If he lands this gig, he will effectively be right back to where he started before Syracuse...you remember Syracuse...his "dream job"
Too good!
ha! imagine that, adam schefter parroting an agent might not be accurate. i thought he was like mularkey but not this much like him

Too good!
Except for the part about having a ton more money.

Except for the part about having a ton more money.
how much does a jax o line coach make? going on the mike tice path might not be worth giving up a head coaching job in the long run

I guess OC for the Jaguars is better than a made up special assistant position with the Texans.

Although I'm not sure how well the interview will go when he tries to explain he's never called plays before. I'm going to assume Gus Bradley isn't comfortable with doing that.

I find it interesting that on the basketball board, the general consensus is that guys should leave asap so they can get paid money that might not be there next year.
On the football board, the general consensus seems to be this guy was a fool to take the money and leave.

I find it interesting that on the basketball board, the general consensus is that guys should leave asap so they can get paid money that might not be there next year.
On the football board, the general consensus seems to be this guy was a fool to take the money and leave.
this just in - unlike basketball players at SU, Marrone was getting paid

Im baffled that Marrone left Buffalo without another job in hand. Did someone whisper in his ear and tell him another job was 100% his and then it fell through? He can't be THAT dumb.

Im baffled that Marrone left Buffalo without another job in hand. Did someone whisper in his ear and tell him another job was 100% his and then it fell through? He can't be THAT dumb.
wild guess. he had a wink wink agreement with the jets that they backed out on when the NY media hated it and marrone started airing dirty laundry about his former bosses

a young HC, with a young staff, with obvious offense needs...because they are coached by an even younger inexperienced staff, goes out and hires an adult OC with HC experience, to come in and whip people into shape.

this makes total sense for the jags.

and not a bad option for doogie if he takes it. he can probably command the highest salary other than bradley and will be given total control of a young offense where if he has success...he can springboard back to a job.

but the bad thing, is that he obviously has nothing going on right now and feels he has to go this route.

embarassing.

i dont think he gets a HC job.

i dont think he has the cache to sit out a year and get one.

i didnt think hes was going to get an OC opportunity.

this would seem to be his best...and likely only option...other than becoming the special assistant to the head coach in charge of double secret media members being put on probation...given to him by a coaching friend.

a young HC, with a young staff, with obvious offense needs...because they are coached by an even younger inexperienced staff, goes out and hires an adult OC with HC experience, to come in and whip people into shape.

this makes total sense for the jags.

and not a bad option for doogie if he takes it. he can probably command the highest salary other than bradley and will be given total control of a young offense where if he has success...he can springboard back to a job.

but the bad thing, is that he obviously has nothing going on right now and feels he has to go this route.

embarassing.

i dont think he gets a HC job.

i dont think he has the cache to sit out a year and get one.

i didnt think hes was going to get an OC opportunity.

this would seem to be his best...and likely only option...other than becoming the special assistant to the head coach in charge of double secret media members being put on probation...given to him by a coaching friend.
no expectations and a total sh!tshow with nowhere to go but up makes it easy for him to be the reclamation project guy there

the owner was going to let him go if they didnt make the playoffs next year, then he would be seen as a fired coach. I still say he is waiting for the giants job to open , OC for a yr or 2 and get ready for the next interview process.

no expectations and a total sh!tshow with nowhere to go but up makes it easy for him to be the reclamation project guy there

but only for one year then he's back in your office demanding that his salry gets doubled or he's leaving to accept another HC job all the while bad mouthing you and your team's mgt...

Seriously, who would want to sign this guy up for any kind of long term gig ? Frequent job changes - check. Takes other employees with him when he leaves - check. Left "dream job" twice - check.

the owner was going to let him go if they didnt make the playoffs next year, then he would be seen as a fired coach. I still say he is waiting for the giants job to open , OC for a yr or 2 and get ready for the next interview process.
so am i.

we both have the same amount of chance.

actually, scratch that...i have a better shot.

im a season ticket holder, therefore im in the family.

hes not inside.

he has ZERO shot.

lots of fired coaches get rehired. now he's seen as a miserable s o b who thinks very highly of himself

Doug Marrone, right now:

(That's a clip from the short lived show Firefly, in which a bounty hunter is sent drifting off through space, just tumbling aimlessly into the abyss)

It looks like a simple case of an agent blowing smoke up his client's butt. They overplayed their hand. I am sure most owner's didn't like the move and that made it an uphill climb.

The biggest thing he has to sell is his record of turning around two programs. It is surprising that when two weak franchises like the Raiders and the Jets have openings he didn't land one of them. As we have seen by the hiring, the competition for NFL HC jobs is pretty fierce.

"Hi, I'm Doug Marrone: I just wanna say that, My whole life's mission was preparing to be the Offensive Coordinator of the Jacksonville Jaguars!"
At least winter weather won't steal a home game away from him.

Well, it would be illegal, if he had a job in hand.

That being said, I would bet my bottom dollar that he had plenty of whispers in his ear and something fell through.

For all the talk about Syracuse football and what needs to happen to be competitive again, it would make sense to have a former HC be successful in the NFL...but maybe people (not just here) would rather see Marrone fail. Personally I don't get it, but it's a lot like the stuff said about Ennis/Grant on the hoops board.

For all the talk about Syracuse football and what needs to happen to be competitive again, it would make sense to have a former HC be successful in the NFL...but maybe people (not just here) would rather see Marrone fail. Personally I don't get it, but it's a lot like the stuff said about Ennis/Grant on the hoops board.
Yeah, I used to mock Tennessee fans for how they continue to follow every move of Lane Kiffin's waiting to see him fail. I won't do that anymore.