Pat Forde Article on SI | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Pat Forde Article on SI

It really doesn't matter who the reporter is anymore, when the head coach makes an a** of himself, it needs to be reported.
You don't go around accusing other teams in your conference of doing something wrong in an interview.
He embarrassed the University, and needs
to be let go after this year.
The longer he stays the worse it will get.
I've been pretty staunch in my view that it should have happened in 2016 (when he originally said he was stepping away). We are past the point of no return now. It's just my opinion but they may need to wipe the whole dept. at this point. When you have an employee (Jim) openly stating he will dictate when he's done, you have a MASSIVE problem. I don't care if he "didn't mean it that way". He's been empowered by JW bowing to him that he feels comfortable saying whatever he wants with no fear of consequences.

The comments Jim Boeheim made are news.
Period.
They would be news even if he wasn't the dean of college basketball coaching with an unbelievable 47 years at one school.

His destruction of his own legacy is newsworthy.
Pat Forde correctly captured it.

You don't think Boeheim is due a good kick in the nuts for what he just said in that last press conference?

1. Calling out 3 teams in your league for buying players.
2. Saying your own millionaire benefactor is kind of full of it and doesn't actually pay anybody.
3. Saying you get to decide when you leave, not the university.

I can't see anyone being happy with these remarks.

Sorry to reply to myself, but SU also made Boeheim post on Twitter a little while ago that he is an employee of the university.

(No kidding, Jim. Seems a bit odd that you would have posted that “out of nowhere”.)

No question, he has pissed off just about everybody in the last week or so.

He gone.

Yep, a lot of people on the board could easily identify this as a concern. Yet our coach who's paid millions couldn't and didn't want to address when rumor has it the assistants saw it.

I think it's obvious, he's not able to accurately evaluate his talent level anymore, while not taking advice from his lieutenants.
And to be sure, I’m not saying there aren’t other problems—the stale offense, the 100 percent zone, lackadaisical recruiting. But this was such an unforced error and could have helped us at least be a tourney team and maybe top 5 in the ACC. There are experienced forwards out there in the portal who would have come here.

Last edited:
And to be sure, I’m not saying there aren’t other problems—the stale offense, the 100 percent zone, lackadaisical recruiting. But this was such an unforced error and could have helped us at least be a tourney team and maybe top 5 in the ACC. There are forwards out there in the portal who would have come here.
National press will be here for Duke on the 18th, they can't let JB do a press conference after that game. If they lose, the questions they ask will set him off.

And to be sure, I’m not saying there aren’t other problems—the stale offense, the 100 percent zone, lackadaisical recruiting. But this was such an unforced error and could have helped us at least be a tourney team and maybe top 5 in the ACC. There are forwards out there in the portal who would have come here.
Nooo, every forward and player wanted money!
Except hima of course.

Since we all need a good laugh…

At least JB hasn’t had the full John Chaney meltdown yet! Lol.

Note, Chaney lasted another 12 years past this incident. The last 5 seasons of his career, 2002-06, were all NITs.

It's dumb but I found it hilarious JB left the quotation marks on his latest retraction.
Ryan Gosling Lol GIF

Since we all need a good laugh…

At least JB hasn’t had the full John Chaney meltdown yet! Lol.

Note, Chaney lasted another 12 years past this incident. The last 5 seasons of his career, 2002-06, were all NITs.
To be fair, PayPalCal has that effect on everybody. Look up smarmy, used-car salesman shyster, and there's a picture of Calipari.

It really doesn't matter who the reporter is anymore, when the head coach makes an a** of himself, it needs to be reported.
You don't go around accusing other teams in your conference of doing something wrong in an interview.
He embarrassed the University, and needs
to be let go after this year.
The longer he stays the worse it will get.

fwiw, he didn’t accuse them of doing something wrong. He was referring to NIL (incorrectly) but not accusing them of cheating.

Programs like Syracuse get in the headlines in during their “down” periods. We’re really not ever irrelevant like some people claim.
We’re relevant in the wrong areas for the wrong reasons.

"They bought their teams" is pretty charged language for Jim supposedly meaning to say, "it's just how NIL works today ..."

I knew on the first watch that he was talking about NIL. With context (even without context) it didn’t need clarification.

I knew on the first watch that he was talking about NIL. With context (even without context) it didn’t need clarification.

So, you're saying there was no outrage when Saban said that about TCU? Pretty much the same language. I recall there being quite a reaction, but y'know, I'm getting older.

Yep. All the national media parachuters are learning that Syracuse isn't likely to make the tournament so they need to get their hit pieces in now, whether they're warranted or not.
Can you blame them?

You missed the point again. Maybe we're just talking past each other.

I'm not saying it's a non-story. I'm not saying it shouldn't be covered. I'm pointing out that Forde covered it because it's trendy and it will get clicks. Which is how this works.

Forde isn't covering it because he had something poignant or thoughtful to say about it.

I literally just pointed out that it was low hanging fruit. It is. And Forde wanted clicks. He did.

The problem with your rationale is it infers you are comfortable with our coach becoming low hanging fruit.

There might also be a difference in how I value the opinions of sports journalists. If we’re talking straight up opinions, a 50 year veteran sports journalist who has interviewed the greatest players and covered the biggest stories would have opinions of equal value to my neighbor who just kind of enjoys watching sports.

If we’re talking about facts and investigations and analysis of the sport, that’s where the journalist has value.

It doesnt matter how you view sports journalism. What matters is how the masses view syracuse. People like forde help dictate the narrative whether you like it or not.