patience? | Syracusefan.com

patience?

B

BillSU

In the years leading up to now beginning in 2003 the overall team records by year were: 2003-2004, 23-8, 2004-2005, 27-7, 2005-2006, 23-12, 2006-2007, 24-11, 2007-2008, 21-14, 2008-9 - 28-9, 2009-2010 -30-5, 2011-2012 – 27-8, 2012-2013, 30-10, 2013-2014- 28-6 2014-2015- 18-13 (self - imposed ban), 2015-2016?

We are used to winning. Starting some seasons with 20 wins straight. Does anyone out there think we won’t get back to our usual high standards? Everyone seems so impatient and argumentative, I suppose in part because of our past. Not this year if you really thought about it before the season began. Anyone agree or disagree?

But if anyone has forgotten, JB stated a long time ago that it takes one year for a freshman starter to become accustomed to BIG EAST play and one may assume it takes that for the ACC. The only exception to this in the last decade is Carmelo Anthony. He set the bar. There hasn’t been anyone close to his basketball skill and acumen since. We’ve had, because of our great recruiting, many players who were very, very good otherwise we wouldn’t have had the records we do. IMHO, we do not have the talent we usually do on this year’s team starting or coming off the bench. In all practicality this is a new team trying to find itself. We haven’t had to deal with that situation recently. Sometimes I think that the team could have given more effort but most of the games we play as well as we can. Contributing to this team’s woes is the recent NCAA decisions which had to affect this team emotionally and its play - Hop instead of JB as well. But everyone knew that, right? I've been able to watch this team since 1963. It's been an amazing run. We'll get our point sooner than later. GO SU!

I agree downturns happen to every program. And i agree every fan should be patient, SUs time will come again most certainly! its amazing how quickly we take for granted our elite 8 and FF runs to finish our Big East career. And you mention the ncaa stuff which has certainly had some impact, but i think theres another dynamic that needs to keep paying attention to- and thats our switch to Acc. Look at SU, UL, ND and Pitts switch to ACC , theres been some struggles, and certainly some of it is recruiting dynamics. Uconn could certainly be heading for the same type of struggles in the Aac, probably already are. Then look at Providence, Vill, Butler, Xavier are doing quite well this year in Big East, maybe some of it is due to recruiting dynamics since the reshuffling in BE. Obviously you could argue Providence has outrecruited the teams that left the Big East the last few years, maybe maybe not. Now im not arguing whether or not we should have moved to acc, thats a done deal and i assume all will be great long term. But i think we have new recruiting battle dynamics now that we have moved to ACC and that could take a few years to adjust to. Hopefully the signing of Battle/Moyer and the transfer of Pascal (and Mal/Lydon/FH appear to be tremendous recruits) says the adjustment is already over. Worth keeping an eye on tho......

Last edited:
We have been so so spoiled in the past few years. It is interesting to note how quickly we all got used to winning 20+ so early in the season. Now we need to just rally behind the team and see what happens. Win the games we should win and take a few that we should lose. When It is all said and done we can still make the dance. And as those terrible folks in Storrs know, all you need is to get there what happens during this six games is anyone's guess. Just keep the faith and LGO!

In the years leading up to now beginning in 2003 the overall team records by year were: 2003-2004, 23-8, 2004-2005, 27-7, 2005-2006, 23-12, 2006-2007, 24-11, 2007-2008, 21-14, 2008-9 - 28-9, 2009-2010 -30-5, 2011-2012 – 27-8, 2012-2013, 30-10, 2013-2014- 28-6 2014-2015- 18-13 (self - imposed ban), 2015-2016?

We are used to winning. Starting some seasons with 20 wins straight. Does anyone out there think we won’t get back to our usual high standards? Everyone seems so impatient and argumentative, I suppose in part because of our past. Not this year if you really thought about it before the season began. Anyone agree or disagree?

But if anyone has forgotten, JB stated a long time ago that it takes one year for a freshman starter to become accustomed to BIG EAST play and one may assume it takes that for the ACC. The only exception to this in the last decade is Carmelo Anthony. He set the bar. There hasn’t been anyone close to his basketball skill and acumen since. We’ve had, because of our great recruiting, many players who were very, very good otherwise we wouldn’t have had the records we do. IMHO, we do not have the talent we usually do on this year’s team starting or coming off the bench. In all practicality this is a new team trying to find itself. We haven’t had to deal with that situation recently. Sometimes I think that the team could have given more effort but most of the games we play as well as we can. Contributing to this team’s woes is the recent NCAA decisions which had to affect this team emotionally and its play - Hop instead of JB as well. But everyone knew that, right? I've been able to watch this team since 1963. It's been an amazing run. We'll get our point sooner than later. GO SU!

All teams go up and down, including us. What I worry about, even with clawing back one scholly, is that we still are losing the ability to have a full scholarship situation, which means if we have a few misses on the recruiting trail, we don't have a lot of room for error.

Couple this with JB's tenure ending at some point and I think we are in a much more precarious situation than a normal downturn.

Also, I don't think the roster is that bad. Lydon and Mal are good freshman. G is a very good player. TC, while definitely inconsistent, is still a guy who has played a lot.

Last edited:
All teams goes up and down, including us. What I worry about, even with clawing back one scholly, is that we still are losing the ability to have a full scholarship situation, which means if we have a few misses on the recruiting trail, we don't have a lot of room for error.

Couple this with JB's tenure ending at some point and I think we are in a much more precarious situation than a normal downturn.

Also, I don't think the roster is that bad. Lydon and Mal are good freshman. G is a very good player. TC, while definitely inconsistent, is still a guy who has played a lot.

None of the guys you mentioned are point guards. I think Mal, G, and Cooney would all produce more with a legit good pg on this roster.

All teams go up and down, including us. What I worry about, even with clawing back one scholly, is that we still are losing the ability to have a full scholarship situation, which means if we have a few misses on the recruiting trail, we don't have a lot of room for error.

I like this way of complimenting Trevor. it is indeed true.

I guess you skipped a year and put the wrong record on 2011-2012, but lets give credit to Dion, Fab and company. 2011-2012's record was 34 and 3.

2011-12: A ridiculous 30-1 regular season record and an elite 8, even without Fab Melo
2012-13: Mediocre regular season capped by unexpected Big East tournament and Final Four runs
2013-14: 25-0 start, full of improbable and seemingly impossible victories.

That's quite a 2 1/2 years. The almost two years since then haven't been very good by any standard, but they definitely seem worse by comparison.

Agreed. This isn't a normal downturn or blip. With the scholarship reduction and the transition from JB to Hop, the program is in a very tenuous spot. Either it gets turned around in the next year or two, or we could possibly be headed for a real, extended fall. Recruiting has not been what we needed, nor has player development. I hope it's just a down period, but it is definitely going to take more than it normally would to get back up to where we were.

I think the key players are Howard, Lydon, Chukwu, and Moyer as we move through the said transition. That's not to belittle Battle and Malachi, who ultimately I think will lead us to a good to great season next year and then be on their way. If we want to sustain success and return to where we were in the seasons listed above then the core of Howie, Chuk, Lydon, and Moyer are going to be the core of the group that gets us there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom